smaller GTX 570s

crazjayz

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
2,093
Hey guys, I have a quick question. So I have a Lian Li Q11 (for those of you who aren't familiar it's a ITX case), and right now I'm running an EVGA GTX 570HD Superclocked inside it. It fits, which is good. The problem is, it's also REALLY LOUD. I guess EVGA just slapped on a 560 cooler onto a 570, OC'ed it, and called it a day. Sucker makes it self known under gaming (2560x1600), and thus I ask 2 simple questions:

1) Are there any other GTX 570s, LESS THAN 250mm IN LENGTH, that are quieter?

2) Is the MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC quieter than what I current have. I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow and trying it out.

Thanks all! :D
 
I'd recommend looking into different aftermarket coolers before trying different versions of the same card.
 
I would rather not go the aftermarket cooler route, but, mind recommending me some? Thing is since I'm using an ITX case, they have to be under 250mm in length. That's the tricky part.
 
If you felt like potentially voiding the warranty on your card and you know what you're doing, you could try removing the current thermal paste from the card and applying some high quality stuff.
 
Doesn't EVGA allow you to swap out the cooler/paste without voiding the warranty (at least I think they do...)
 
Doesn't EVGA allow you to swap out the cooler/paste without voiding the warranty (at least I think they do...)

Yep, replace that TIM with some IC Diamond 7 or MX-4 and it could help alot. I'm not sure how long the zalman aftermarket coolers are but they would be just the ticket.

How many slots width beside the card can you afford to give up?
 
If you felt like potentially voiding the warranty on your card and you know what you're doing, you could try removing the current thermal paste from the card and applying some high quality stuff.

Doesn't EVGA allow you to swap out the cooler/paste without voiding the warranty (at least I think they do...)

I think you guys are right. EVGA allows you to swap without voiding warranty. I may try putting some better thermal paste before buying a new cooler.

Yep, replace that TIM with some IC Diamond 7 or MX-4 and it could help alot. I'm not sure how long the zalman aftermarket coolers are but they would be just the ticket.

How many slots width beside the card can you afford to give up?

The case only has 2 pci slots, both of which are taken up by the video card. As far as an aftermarket cooler is concerned, height wise, I triple-thick cooler would still fit fine, just as long as it doesn't need 3 pci slots to mount.
 
I second the water cooling, I don't know where you are using this itx case at but I think the guys at Danger Den could custom make you a setup that would fit your needs and make that case silent.
 
That Zalman is batshit insane overpriced. Do like I did with my old 8800 GTX -- find a cheap water block, go buy some brackets and crap from Home Depot, mount that shit yourself. ;)
 
Why not try using a custom fan profile on your GPU, like Afterburner; see how low you can run the fan without overheating the card.:D
 
Why not try using a custom fan profile on your GPU, like Afterburner; see how low you can run the fan without overheating the card.:D

That's a double edged sword, overheat that card and it starts to artifact he's out the cost of the card, or at a minimum has to deal with the hassle of an rma.
 
Back
Top