• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Small Upgrade Recommendations

roadlesstraveled

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
318
Hey guys and gals,

This is my first post on these forums and I'm looking for some recommendations. My current build is listed below:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz stock (running at 4.0GHz stable)
Video Card: EVGA GTX 280 1GB
RAM: G.SKILL PI Black 4GB RAM (2 x 2GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB HDD
Backup Hard Drive: Western Digital Elements 1TB External HDD for backups
Monitor: Acer X223W 22" Monitor
PSU: Corsair 750TX 750W
HSF: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm
XIGMATEK Retention Bracket
CD/DVD Burner: Samsung 22X
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Case: NZXT Tempest

Originally this computer was built with mainly gaming in mind. That is no longer the case. I now mainly use this computer for everyday tasks, programming, and some gaming (lately it's been less than one hour each week). I also use it to run virtual pc's. I'm a computer science student and enjoy tinkering with everything inside the computer including hardware and software (which often leads to a disaster...lol, thus the 1TB external hard drive with real time syncing setup).

I have allocated $120 to upgrade my PC. The main two upgrades I have been thinking of are the following:
1) Buy another Acer X223W 22" monitor. I feel that this upgrade would really help me become more productive.
2) Slap in another 2-4GB of RAM.

I was just curious as to what some of you other members might choose to upgrade with the above specs and price range.

-Peter
 
I might suggest an SSD if you can get one on the cheap. I just got an intel x-25m and HOT DAMN if it's not the sexiest upgrade I've ever made to my mid range gaming computer I don't know what is.

Most of your parts are great, though and you wont really get any performance upgrade by upgrading those.

Another monitor WOULD be nice...once you go dual monitor you never go back. I just used my old flat screen as my secondary once I upgraded to a 24 inch. (I think that's the best way to go dual monitor -- just wait until you want to upgrade to something significantly better and then use your old main as your new secondary)
 
The x-25m is a great SSD but the cheaper ones don't offer much of a performance advantage for me. I would need at least 64GB and in my price range I don't feel it's really worth it. It would cut my windows boot time close to half but that's about it. My PC is on for days at a time so this really isn't much of an advantage.

There's really not much I can upgrade on this PC without doing a complete overhaul. I've decided to go with an extra 2GB of RAM and a new monitor. The new monitor will be around the same size but the resolution will be 1920x1080. I feel that this system will last me a few more years and in the mean time I'll save up for a completely new system / monitor setup.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top