Small Home Lab - PowerEdge T20

These are new and not very configurable and limited to 4 GB ordered. As the Dell website suggests, I would advise you to look at the more configurable T110ii which is the same base price.

For the T110ii, add 8 GB of RAM and a better processor (Intel® Pentium® G850), price comes out to about $560.00. Add 16 GB RAM for about $108.00 more and a Xeon processor for $136.00 and you have a nice server for the price. These servers will accept a 3 TB drive with a chipset update. Not sure on whether a 4 TB drive works or not.

I have a T110ii with an I3 processor and 8GB of RAM which I purchased earlier this year on sale for $481.00 + tax. Great little home server for my needs and very quiet. The server sits right at the end of the couch and I can barely hear the fans running.

CPU/memory wise they seem to be on pair just a little harder to customize. I ordered ram off newegg anyways.

Guess we will find out in a couple of days if it works. worst case I can send it back.

From what I'm reading I may need to use MBR mode instead of GPT based paritions with that chipset but i've only found one reference to that.

Replying again....

Not sure what you budget is but I was playing around with some prices on dell.com.

A T320 server with:
Intel® Pentium 1403 2.60GHz
8 GB Ram
500 GB Drive
GB NIC

Cost with coupon code 9c9wwd055$bk2z:
$776.00 + tax.

We have the next sized server, the T420 at work and I really like it and if I did not already have enough servers and pc's at home, I would get the above.

Why don't you look on ebay for some Dell C1100s? You get get 48GB Ram and dual 4 core processors for the price you paid. Maybe you have checked into it, but just a thought.

Can you return it ;)

In theory it should work most of the time i have seen Dell issues its b/c of the BIOS so make sure your tip-top on it... the H310 Controller is on the HCL so its supported out of the Box... That Series of Xeon works with ESXi so if anyones gonna cause problem its gonna be the mobo!

Check out the i3 and i5 Intel NUCs. I've got several of these running ESXi and they're great. Unobtrusive, quiet, and best of all very very little energy consumption. I've got two i3 NUCs with 16GB RAM and a 128GB mSATA SSD at home.

yeah the max at 16gb of ram is the killer for me. I've got two T110's already that are maxed and I'm out of room. Also wanted to do a box that supported a handful of drives to do a real life trial of vsan.

I ended up with one of the T110 II's for $249 a few weeks back, but now I am wishing I had waited and bought this:

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/L...n-E3-1225V3-3.2-GHz-Monitor-none/3131451.aspx

Lenovo TS140 with USB3 and a E3-1225v3 for $49 more.

Nothing wrong with the T110 ii's. In fact, not that I really needed it, I just ordered another today through work. With more ram (16 GB) and a faster processor, the retail price with the promo code 9c9wwd055$bk2z works out to $527.00. As my employer is a Dell partner, once I get the final quote back from our Dell Sales Rep, I expect the final cost of just under $500.00 and with no shipping cost to me.

Machine worked fine so far, the nic isn't supported out of box but knew that was going to happen.

haven't tried a clean install yet of 5.0 just popped one of our old 5.0 usb sticks into it.

0r8dWFYl.jpg

you could put them on shelves but no they are too small to rackmount. the mouse in front of them will give you an idea on the size.

Can u tell me how loud this T20 actually is compared to sff desktop PC.

I am looking to buy some small home server for esxi, currently have ML150g3 that i managed to silenced with new fans but still to noisy for having it under the table.

I cannot make decision between Fujitsu tx120s3 and this Dell T20.

Both are 32gb max, 4hdd max,
Fujitsu comes with more LAN cards and IPIM but without hdd trays and about 150$ more starting pric but with better cpu Xeon 1265L V2.

Good thing with Fujitsu is that he actually comes with FAN next to hdd cage while i cannot find any info if T20 can support one more fan between HDD and front bezzel.

its just as quiet as a desktop pc.

you could add a fan but i dont think there is any mounting

Thanks,

BTW are u using ECC or non ECC memory on those T20s.

I saw some forums where people stated that they are running those on Udimms non ECC sticks.

pretty cool.

these days, i have been planning to build up a small lab just as what you showed, with three servers, Dell PowerEdge T20 (E3-1225v3/8G/1TB).

But, i'm really very very new to how to implement it just like what you did for your small lab. So, please give me a hand, like step-by-step guide.

Thanks a lot. ^^

Can I drag the newbie to GenMay for bumping a 1+ year old thread.

:)

I promise, he'll get lots of hot dog pics

Back