• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Small Form Factor Linux System

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
3,010
I'm looking to assemble a low-cost, yet fast computer for college. I use my laptop (sig) for everything, but I would like to have a desktop as well. SFF is what I'm aiming for as far as the size goes as space is at a premium in my college dorm.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web Browsing, Word Processing, Programming, Light Photo Editing, Skype
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$400
3) Where do you live?
Philadelphia, PA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I will need all the components of a computer... i.e cpu, ram, motherboard, hard drive, etc.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
No parts will be reused
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19" Widescreen
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Asap
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
If possible, I would like to throw in a SSD around 32GB or 64GB if the budget allows
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Going to use Ubuntu 64 bit
 
Maybe a Shuttle barebones system? Then purchase the RAM, CPU, and SSD/HD?
 
Last edited:
$143 - AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU + Biostar TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Combo
$60 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$22 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP mATX Tower Case
----
$395 shipped

Use promo code "EMCZYNW52" to knock off $15 off the drive for additional savings.
 
$143 - AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU + Biostar TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Combo
$60 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$22 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP mATX Tower Case
----
$395 shipped

Use promo code "EMCZYNW52" to knock off $15 off the drive for additional savings.

Haha oh you're quite the hard worker Danny. I was just too lazy to actually do a part by part look up.
 
Haha oh you're quite the hard worker Danny. I was just too lazy to actually do a part by part look up.

Nah, I'm fairly lazy too. I have a Google docs file filled with links to computer hardware.
 
Back
Top