small business AV in a workgroup

hifimono

Weaksauce
I'm looking to purchase a business antivirus package for Server2003 + 10-15 clients (3 which connect wirelessly in our building. I'm looking into NOD32 or Kaspersky, but 1) don't know where to purchase these cheaply and 2) am unsure how this works in a workgroup setting.

ANY info is greatly appreciated!

This is my first IT entry level job and am gaining tons of experience, just am unsure of much of what I do.

Thanks

you can buy them from resellers like CDW, maybe even Dell.

i use nod32 suite, works great!

you can set it up to go out to the web for updates on the client side.

few questions i guess?

do they have a email server?

files servers?

NOD32 and Kaspersky come with a management server component.

You install it on a server, it pulls updates from the web, the clients pull updates from the server and get their config from the server. You save bandwidth (admittedly possibly not much) and you only need to make config changes once and don't have to scurry around 10-15 machines to tick/untick a box or change a setting etc.

no email server as of right now... possibly in the next month or so...
i guess our server is a file server since it contains our quickbooks database & item image database... but no apps are deployed as it is in a workgroup

how does this work since the server isn't a domain controller?

Doesn't matter..you don't need to run a local antivirus management/mirror server on a DC.

Totally side topic...for above network of that size...that server should be a DC.

I'd definitely get a managed antivirus package. For network of that size..it will be beneficial cost wise also.

Eset NOD32 business packages generally work through resellers (avoid self pimping! :D )

Yeah buy Nod32 through YeOlde, my next purchases will be through him and not the current reseller I have (using mysmartquote.com nothing too major negative about them but rather help out a member )

but yeah why not a domain with 15 machines and already a server? and why isn't SBS there?

I replaced the former IT guy due to security concerns within the company -- started at the beginning of May. This is just how it was setup. I've been doing alot of imaging and website updates everyday so IT hasn't been the top priority all the time. what are the advantages of SBS v 2003 ?

i would need 10 licenses with either kaspersky, nod, or sophos.... probably whichever is the cheapest since we're on a budget

you can contact me or yeolde, i can get you a price. i can take credit card over the phone, paypal, yada yada

just pm me and i will get you a price.

just don't use symantec endpoint.. i installed that on an SBS server and it was a huge resource hog. then i couldn't configure the client on the computers right and the firewall kept denying access to the shares on the server. So then I had to call CDW and then Symantec to get a "downgrade" license for SAV corp. Tons of fun..

I would reccomend SAV corp though, it has worked well everywhere I have used it. But its like XP, server 2k3, pix firewalls, etc.. they are all end of life supposedly and the companies are pushing the new stuff.

Any symantec AV product...yuck. The amount of ad/spyware that makes it into systems supposedly protected by that...LOL.

Back