small atx case

What else to you plan to put in it? Air or AIO cooling? Internal external drive space needed?

Off the top of my head I'd say Fractal Define C or Torrent Compact, Lian Li O11 Mini.

i plan to use for HTPC, was thinking get a itx board, but too costly and already have an atx board.

Ah, cool. Well, as long as you don't need an internal ODD, the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact (replaced the C now that I've had time to look) would do well, I think.

Off the top of my head I'd say Fractal Define 7 Compact or Torrent Compact, Lian Li O11 Mini.

All the ones I was thinking about.

Sliger Cerberus X also comes to mind, but they come with a bit heftier price tag($265 to start).

I have also built in a Thermaltake Core G3. Definitely compact, could be placed on it's side, but requires an SFX psu. Might have to do some searching for it, currently $280 on NewEgg, but I only paid $90.

fractals got a few that might work for you, like the pop mini or focus mini, there are "minis" of a few of their cases. phantek has a few too, like the eclipse p200a

If you plan on using it as an HTPC, have you thought about using a chassis like this to integrate into your equipment stack,
https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/GD09/
1670978157406.png

I had an older Silverstone HTPC case that I got from my brother but ended up not using it since I went with Apple TV's and a Plex Server, so I gave it back to him a couple of years later.
image from google of the one I had
silverstone htpc case.jpg

Last edited:
I spent a while looking for a small case to fit a full-size ATX mobo somewhat recently and ended up with a Thermaltake Core G3. The materials are cheap, standard steel and plastic, but it's well made and gets the job done. Plus, it's a lot more reusable than buying a new motherboard for the old hardware you already have laying around. It does take an SFX PSU though, a full size one won't fit.

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/core-g3.html

Edit: I didn't realize these were no longer available, it's still up on Thermaltake's site but OOS everywhere. It's a nice case for ~$80 but definitely not worth a premium price.

Last edited:
that seem gonna attract alot dust?

The mesh is fine enough to catch quite a bit of it, but it's definitely not going to catch all of it. It's definitely uglier when it catches it on the outside of the case, I have one in white, vs catching it on a filter behind a panel. But as far as the smallest volume able to hold an ATX motherboard and good sized GPUs, I don't think you'll find much else.

Also as a suggestion, if you provide us with details, use case, hardware involved(cpu, mobo, GPU) we can typically give you a better suggestion. There's a lot of great/experienced people still active on this forum, so more information will allow us to make a educated suggestion vs. having to ask a bunch of clarifying questions of you.

The mesh is fine enough to catch quite a bit of it, but it's definitely not going to catch all of it. It's definitely uglier when it catches it on the outside of the case, I have one in white, vs catching it on a filter behind a panel. But as far as the smallest volume able to hold an ATX motherboard and good sized GPUs, I don't think you'll find much else.

Also as a suggestion, if you provide us with details, use case, hardware involved(cpu, mobo, GPU) we can typically give you a better suggestion. There's a lot of great/experienced people still active on this forum, so more information will allow us to make a educated suggestion vs. having to ask a bunch of clarifying questions of you.
so i have an old 3700x , 5700xt and gigabyte aorus wifi atx mobo, with a 2TB M.2, i like to convert to a small atx format for HTPC use. not gonna do watercooling, no OC, no gaming. so just music, streaming, watch video, browsing etc.
i probably will get a low profile PSU something like 600w
i always go for the big case, oc and WC. but now i need to shrink it down quite a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so i have an old 3700x , 5700xt and gigabyte aorus wifi atx mobo, with a 2TB M.2, i like to convert to a small atx format for HTPC use. not gonna do watercooling, no OC, no gaming. so just music, streaming, watch video, browsing etc.
i probably will get a low profile PSU something like 600w
i always go for the big case, oc and WC. but now i need to shrink it down quite a bit.
You could sell your parts and buy an Intel Nuc, there is an older one with decent specs in the FS forum for $125. 16GB Ram and 256GB SSD.
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-i7-4790-i7-3770-i7-6700-cpu-nuc-fs.2023815/#post-1045529626
I bought a processor from him last week.

I have an older one I play with sometimes, it's that tiny box under the monitor
IMG_3336.JPEG

i thought about intel nuc, but i have some leftover M.2, so i only need a cheap psu + case. so buying a intel nuc seem waste. i also prefer at least 11 gen intel, and those still over $500+

Back