Slow upgrade

bumble78

n00b
I am thinking of upgrading the wifes computer step by step.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

WOW Cata, web browsing, office

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Around $300 every two weeks (Pay Day)

3) Where do you live?

96818, Honolulu HI

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, MOBO, Ram, PSU, Video Card(s),

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Keeping the case, Optical drive, and HD.
Antec three hundred case, dual-layer DVD burner, 640GB, 7,200rpm

Replacing the rest over time.
Antec EarthWatts 500 Watt 20+4pin 80 PLUS Certified ATX Power Supply, AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU + Biostar TA790XE AM2+/AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard, BFG Tech BFGE98512GTGE GeForce 9800 GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 240 PIN

6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, Sandy Bridge looks intersting.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
The HANNspree 22″ HF229H Monitor

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Over the next few months

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Might Crossfire or SLI if it will help out with gaming

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
The HD has Vista home premium 64bit installed.

Thinking about going Sandy Bridge, but will either have to wait a couple of months, or do it step by step. If I do it step by step where should I start? I think the CPU then MOBO, then I could run with those until I upgrade the rest of the parts. Also spacing it out will mean not paying the shipping all in one chunk and can pretend it isn't as bad as it is.
I have read some reviews on the MSI P67-GD65 and may look into that more.

I am currently hopped up on Redbull and Rockstar so if I don't make sense please let me know.

You're better off just saving your money and buying everything in one go. Short of a really really awesome deal (like 50% off or something similar), you won't be screwed over as much if you buy all the parts at one time.

Are you really considering upgrading to Sandy Bridge just for WoW? You don't really need much to make your current system more capable:

$99 - AMD Athlon II X4 640
$160 - EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 1GB SE

If you feel that a newer power supply is needed, spend the $50 or $60 for a good 80 Plus-certified power supply like the Antec NEO ECO 520C.

I'm curious: What about Sandy Bridge is so interesting to you? I don't believe that you need that much of an overhaul if WoW is going to be the most resource-intensive program that you or your wife will run.

You're better off just saving your money and buying everything in one go. Short of a really really awesome deal (like 50% off or something similar), you won't be screwed over as much if you buy all the parts at one time.

That makes sense.

I'm curious: What about Sandy Bridge is so interesting to you? I don't believe that you need that much of an overhaul if WoW is going to be the most resource-intensive program that you or your wife will run.

Part of it is wanting to mod something, and the car is out until it is paid off later this year, and I was thinking of using her old parts for a HTPC. Then there is the part that wants the New Hotness.

Thanks for the replys. I will keep everything in mind before pull the trigger.

Back