Slow network transfer speeds - QNAP

So the solid 10-11MB/s I get everyday on my laptop shouldn't occur?

and the 18MB/s I helped my one friend get on his system didn't happen either?

I beg to differ...

5Ghz 160Mhz channel width 3x3 spatial stream 802.11ac

1200Mbps connection, is half duplex. The newer protocol has a little less overhead than N.

Assuming no interference that'll give you approx 600Mbps of half-duplex bandwidth or ~75MB/ps. Running half duplex it'll cut you in half but the end result is approx 32MB/s duplex.

Rather expensive to setup, but it works.

You all want 802.11ad and I have a rant in Genmay on it. You're going to have to wait until 2017 to get it folks.

Zarathustra[H];1040443854 said:
Well, in that case, you are probably out of luck. Advertised transfer speeds on wireless are really a marketing scam, and not representative of true speeds at all.

the 802.11xx standards have HORRENDOUS overhead, suffer greatly from interference, and are half duplex instead of full duplex. They may advertise as much as 600Mbps, but in reality you'll rarely connect higher than 130Mbps in a dual band (2x65) setup, and even that might be a stretch.

It goes something like this for 2.4Ghz:
Router marketed wireless speed: 600Mbps
Actual connected speed with most devices: 130Mbps to 300mbps
Less interference from nearby competing devices: 65Mbps to 130Mbps
Less ~50% overhead: 32.5 Mbps to 65Mbps
Divide by 8 to go from bits to bytes: ~4 to 8 MB/s

And if you are simultaneously transferring in both directions this halves (due to the half duplex), so 2 - 4MB/s

5Ghz typically fares a tiny bit better, but not much.

Gigabit Ethernet on the other hand will sustain up to ~120MB/s throughput in both directions at the same time over NFS in Linux or ~100MB/s in both directions at the same time over CIFS/SMB/SAMBA in Windows. So we are talking as much as 60 times faster.

There should really be some law requiring companies to market their routers using real world transfer speeds, not the theoretical figures they put on the boxes.

I repeat, advertised speeds for Wifi are a huge scam. They are usually good enough to browse the outside internet, but that is about it.

The 600Mbps spec you see on the router is the total bandwidth the router can connect at. 600Mbps = 300Mbps at 2.4Ghz + 300Mbps at 5Ghz.

Last time I checked 300+300=600.

Wireless is a half-duplex protocol, agreed, but that doesn't mean you're going to notice it when most of your data is running in one direction.

A perfect example of this is the ASA5505. It specs at 150Mbps of throughput.

It will download at 100Mbps, but while doing so can only upload 50Mbps.

Running symmetric data it would only run at 75Mbps, but that does not mean it can only run at 75Mbps.

So the solid 10-11MB/s I get everyday on my laptop shouldn't occur?

and the 18MB/s I helped my one friend get on his system didn't happen either?

I beg to differ...

I'm not saying it can't happen, but you have to have a pretty ideal set of circumstance for it to actually occur. In most setups and locations it's just not very realistic.

Switching from consumer hardware to enterprise gear tends to help a lot though. My signal strengths and performance went up drastically when I switched from consumer routers to a Ubiquiti Unifi setup.

Back