Slow internet in Vista x64

retro

Gawd
So for the past few days, my main machines net connection has come to a crawl. I've had no issues with my laptop running vista (32 bit), my ipod touch seems fine, and I tri-boot OSX86 and ubuntu on my main rig and they run fine as well. The connection is so bad on my main vista install that I'm lucky to load a page in under 5 mins, and steam wont even log in.

What could possibly cause a specific install's net connection to die?

It's time to scan for virus. Use AVG and other combination of spyware softwares.

Done that, and it comes clean.

Another piece of info that makes it even weirder.... Around midnight till late morning, it works fine, but during the day/evening, its pretty much dead. Yet if I boot into another OS, the net connection works fine during the day/evening.

Perhaps a rootkit doing some dling in the day/evening time? Possible.

are you sure network settings are good? have you tried a different cable(if you are using wired)? curent drivers?

I had 2 Dlink Wireless USB adapters die on me and the result was craptastic wireless speeds and slow browsing. replaced with 2 cheap trend net usb dongles and problem solved

Yup, wired, and everything is up to date.

I have reinstalled windows though, and everything seems to work fine throughout the day and night.... so it's defenitely a software related issue.

There is an identical thread on the first page of the OS forum, only concerning Vista x86. In it, you'll find some tweaks and settings that have helped some people, in case this issue comes back on your new build.

Back