• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slow Initial Access Times With Drives

iLLuSioN

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
228
My system is in my sig...so here is my issue and hope that someone can help.

I recently put this system together then did a clean install on my X25m which is attached to the onboard sata connectors (not the sata 6g connections), every other drive is connected to the onboard sata, with 1 sata dvd-rw and 1 HD connected to the 2 sata 6g connectors. My issue is that when I try to access any of my hard drives (connected to either sata II or III) except for my system drive (the x25m) it seems like it has to spin the drive up..there is a few second delay about 8 seconds until it actually reads any information, after that it is fine until I don't use the drive for a while. All performance is fine and benchmarks are normal after the 'spin up' but its those first 8 seconds that really bother me. The drivers are listed as microsoft and I have tried updating every driver on the system but nothing has helped. Please let me know if anyone has a solution for this..it is very annoying.
 
How many extra drives and what are the drives?

Do you have any green drives?
 
I have a WD Green drive. There is no delay in accessing it. It is actually seems faster than older SATA 7200 RPM drives. I wouldn't think there should be a delay like you are having unless it is a network drive.

The channels (under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager) seem to list as microsoft however the controller should be intel or marvell drivers

Did you install the drivers off the utility disc that came with the board?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58DE/#download
 
Thanks for the comments, so I messed around in the bios some and reset my power settings to power saving, reset, put them back on high power, reset again, and now it seems to be working as it should.

I am now wondering if there is a way to do this to drives selectively...that would be far more useful since I have 5 drives and only 3 I access every day.
 
Back
Top