• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slow 4P 6282 folding rig

Nilsch

n00b
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
50
Could someone please help me with a problem I have with my new folding rig?

It is a G34 4P 6282 machine. I followed the instructions to the letter as given in: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608 Kraken, Langouste, etc.

The problem is that it is really slow. It is currently working on an 8102 with a TPF of 23:44 after 40% which is double of what I would expect.

The power draw from the wall is 520-570W and each 64 core is at 100%.

The specifications are:

Ubuntu 10.10
Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGI+-F Quad G34 new
CPU: 4 6282 ES with the following specification: "AMD Opteron ZS262660TGG45 ES 16Core 2.6GHz 16M/L3 Matches Opteron 6282". They are used off ebay from a seller another folder I know have had success with (truesys02).
RAM: 16 x KINGSTON 2GB 1600MHZ DDR3 CL9 HYPERX BLU, KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G
PSU: Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-1200C Bronze
CPU coolers: 4 x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 Socket AMD G34
SSD: INTEL 330 SERIES 2.5" 120GB

BIOS info:
Firmware Revision : 2.06
Firmware Build Time : Jul 25 2012 19:33:26

I loaded the optimized defaults and only changed the following:

Secure Virtual Machine Mode: Disabled
PowerNow: Disabled
CPB Mode: Disabled
Bank Interleaving: Disabled
Power Down Enable: Disabled
ECC Mode: Disabled
Headless mode: Enabled
WHEA Support: Disabled
NUMA Support: Enabled

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here. Both folding and multi-CPU machines are new to me :confused:.

Thanks,

Nils
 
Last edited:
have you checked if you have 2 instances of FAH running?
 
I would have expected this behavior from one of my machines. Can you post a snapshot of top? Definitely seems like something else is bogging down the system.
 
I checked, there is only one instance. If I abort the folding process, there are no other processes that use any CPU. Here is a snapshot of top:
6282top.jpg
 
Whoops, just noticed, it only uses 32 cores! I thought for sure I checked that earlier. Any suggestions why? Should I use -smp 64 instead of just -smp?
 
Only '-smp' will run 32 cores. For all 64 cores, you need to run '-smp 64' :)
 
With that many cores thekraken can take a little while to sync things up so if you just stopped and restarted it that probably explains it.

Have you made sure to install TurionPowerControl and try this little tweak:

TurionPowerControl -psmax 1
 
Thanks a lot! I was afraid I had gotten some bad CPUs. No I can relax. :cool:
 
There's known issue with stock Ubuntu 10.10 kernel and IL processors.
Update your kernel (only kernel) and it should help.

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-generic
should work...
 
To confirm whether you're affected run this:
Code:
grep MemTotal /sys/devices/system/node/node[0-9]*/meminfo
 
Code:
grep MemTotal /sys/devices/system/node/node[0-9]*/meminfo
returned:
Node 0 MemTotal: 3536872 kB

I don't know what that means...:confused:
Does it only see 3GB out of my 32?
 
Last edited:
I assumed that the result I got was wrong and updated the kernel. The result I now get is:
Code:
/sys/devices/system/node/node0/meminfo:Node 0 MemTotal:        4192232 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node1/meminfo:Node 1 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node2/meminfo:Node 2 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node3/meminfo:Node 3 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node4/meminfo:Node 4 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node5/meminfo:Node 5 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node6/meminfo:Node 6 MemTotal:        4194304 kB
/sys/devices/system/node/node7/meminfo:Node 7 MemTotal:        4177920 kB
Which looks a lot better.
 
TPF is 9:05 after the kernel update. :)

Thanks a lot guys! I never expected such swift and precise help. I will check out TurionPowerControl next.
 
TPF is 9:05 after the kernel update. :)

Thanks a lot guys! I never expected such swift and precise help. I will check out TurionPowerControl next.

[H] is the internet's home of the overclocked 4P folding machines; the depth and breadth of knowledge here is astounding.
 
Back
Top