Slightly revamped Antec 300

bowmanm3

n00b
When I built my own machine for the first time back in April of 2010, I got a sweet deal on the 300 and bought one for me and one for my wife's computer. Right after I built my computer I decided to add a window mod, UV lighting, and some neon green cable sleeving. I didnt have the money for the good stuff, I just used a sleeving kit I got at my local Microcenter. Thats worked fairly well for a while. However, its always bugged my that the 300 doesnt really have a good way to manage cables, so last night I decided to do a little more cable sleeving and create some cable management for my case.

Here's what it looked like before I went to work:
DSCF3355.jpg

DSCF3357.jpg

I pulled everything out and marked some spots where I wanted to cut holes
DSCF3359.jpg

First hole done!
DSCF3367.jpg

and the other two:
DSCF3375.jpg

After I got that done I decided to cut the grating off of the front and rear fans to cut down on some of the fan noise when they are running at full speed:
DSCF3378.jpg

DSCF3361.jpg

All my components really needed a good dusting. with a dog, two cats, and two children running around the whose I end up cleaning my fan filters at least once a week if not more.
DSCF3369.jpg

my poor vapor-x had a crapload of dust built up in the heatsink. its temps dropped by 3 degrees C after I cleaned it out.
DSCF3370.jpg

I also decided to have sleeved wires for the motherboard power cable, video card power cable, and all my fan controller extensions.
DSCF3368.jpg

Fan controller with sleeved extensions:
DSCF3387.jpg

Since I had everything out, I reseated the heatsink, sleeved the fan cable, and reoriented it to blow upward toward the 140mm top exhaust fan, which is now the only exhaust fan. I turned the rear 120mm fan around and added a filter to the back so I have air coming in from both sides and shooting up out of the top. I plan on getting an H70 in the near future and I think this setup is ideal for when I make the switch.
DSCF3371.jpg

DSCF3379.jpg

DSCF3381.jpg

Now it's time to put everything back in and manage those cables!

The top hole was hard to do being so close to the top, so i had to feed all the cables through and then fasten down the motherboard. Makes for a much cleaner look now i think:
DSCF3382.jpg

As always the back looks like a big mess with all the extension cables through the holes:
DSCF3389.jpg

Power supply is in!
DSCF3384.jpg

DSCF3409.jpg

A much cleaner video card back in:
DSCF3405.jpg

DSCF3404.jpg

And finally, the last of the cables connected:
DSCF3393.jpg

DSCF3429.jpg

Powered on and lit up!
DSCF3431.jpg

DSCF3433.jpg

DSCF3423.jpg

DSCF3436.jpg

DSCF3437.jpg

There ya go! This is my second mod using any kind of power tools so I think it turned out pretty well. I am already planning on doing another mod sometime in the near. I'm going to put in a window mod on the top with 2 120mm exhaust fans built in. Until next time, thanks for looking!

Hey. that doesn't look too shabby there :)

I think i might just have to go pick up a sleeving kit myself from MC when I go back home soon. Some people might think it looks cheezy or whatever, but I like the look of the UV.

I have a question not regarding your cabling though, where did you get your molding for your side window cutout?

Its actually a window kit I ordered from crazypc.com. it came with the window and the molding.

So I finally had some time to install the H50 I got last week, so I thought I would post some pictures. I don't have much of the actual install itself though. I have one of the Antec 300's that does NOT have a backplate hole on the motherboard tray. I didn't feel like getting the dremel out tonight, so I just disconnected everything and took out the motherboard to do get the new bracket installed. anyway, here are some of the finished pics:

The 300 is definitely not made for watercooling without some major mods, but this will do until I make the plunge(no pun intented) into full blown watercooling.
DSCF3444.jpg

DSCF3454.jpg

Right now I have the fan installed exhausting out the back. With the large amount of dust my house accumulates on a daily basis, I felt it was best to have the 2 front fans with filters continue to intake air and have the rear fan exhaust. My plan is to add another fan to the radiator once I get another set of screws, and to remove the top fan and seal it off. that way I get air moving from the front of the case right through to the back, hopefully keeping it quite cool and as dust-free as possible.
DSCF3450.jpg

I have 2 12" cold cathode UV tubes in the case and it never seemed very bright in the case. As I was taking pictures with everything on I found out why: one of the cathodes is almost completely dark. Looks like I'll be ordering some more! in the mean time I moved the brighter one to a better location to get a good light show goin:
DSCF3462.jpg

DSCF3463.jpg

I did a little rewiring on my home server as well, so I thought I would post a couple pics of that too. specs in the sig.
DSCF3442.jpg

DSCF3443.jpg

And a shot of the desktop. I would take a picture right after I cleaned the whole thing, but we all know that most of the time we operate in a slightly messy environment. I am no exception. there are times when my desk is spotless, but most of the time I have things scattered about.
DSCF3466.jpg

And finally, for those wondering what the big white box on the wall is:
DSCF3468.jpg

A modem/router box I got at IKEA. from left to right: Cable Modem, Phone Modem, Netgear ProSafe 5 port switch, behind everything is a plug strip to power them all, and on top is the wireless router. even with the door closed, it doesn't get terribly hot inside. However, since I am paranoid I'm going to fry something, I plan to install an 80mm fan inside on each end to draw air from one side and out the other. I'll post pictures of that too whenever I get around to it.

That's everything for now, thanks for looking!

Take one of your 5.25" bay covers and do this with your fan controller. It added a nice clean look to my old Antec 300. :D
100_6588.jpg

I love taking unused parts and doing stuff like you did with that bay cover.

I love taking unused parts and doing stuff like you did with that bay cover.

Thanks, yeah me too. I have the most fun building and modding (shameless worklog plug) with things I already have and misc. pieces people may not normally use. The way I see it, anyone can go out and buy something, but it takes a little creativity to use what you've got and put a little effort/craftsmanship into to. But everybody rolls differently. Not dogging on anyone. :D

Back