SLi is dead?

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Seriously, my second 1080 is sleeping most of the time.

Mafia 3
Gears of War 4
Forza Horizon 3
StarCraft 2
Deus Ex MD (until recently)
BF 1
Doom

Is this the future? SLi is dead for good? I need to sell this second card asap if this is the case.

Any news if the new games will support SLi or not. Talking about:

Titanfall 2
Dishonored 2
Watch Dawgs 2
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
etc. etc.

On the bright side, Shadow Warrior 2 comes with SLI support right out of the box, coming from a small developer like Flying Wild Hog, so its not too bad. Most of the COD and BF series support SLI too so things are not as gloomy as it may seem. The only prime suspect for games not supporting SLI are Open GL games, and I hope they are far and few between.

Also, 1440p has absolute piss poor SLI scaling for Pascal, you'll need to run 4k to get actual proper scaling, notwithstanding SLI support.

The absolutely dismal scaling was the main reason why I had been holding off getting 1080 to see if Titan XP would show its head here, it hasn't and I wasn't willing to wait any longer.

It's a sad day for mGPUs when your top flagship can match or outperform 2x SLI of the GPU immediately below it.

I see decent scaling in some games such as Witcher 3, Division, and Mad Max. However, these new games aren't really utilizing the power available to them.
I also don't have much hope for the new COD since BLOPS3 was abysmal with SLi in SP campaign. I turned off SLi and it started working properly and only lost about 20 fps. MP was fine though.

I have zero regrets buying 2 Pascal Titan X's, but that's me, for others the gains might not be so good going SLI.

Most of the games I play, they balance out the load pretty well, especially FFXIV at max settings.

If you aren't seeing any benefit in the games you play, better to sell one off while you can still get a decent price if it cant be returned.

I plan to play bf1 tf2 and cod so I should be just fine with my 1080sli as planned at 2560x1440 @165hz or even 4k using dsr or higher.

SLI support is definitely getting much worse.

And with DX12 requiring game developers to actually do all the work now (and not offloading a bunch to Nvidia), support for multiple GPUs is dying a slow, painful, noisy death.

I have two 1070s but I'm waiting for a 1080Ti or the full chip Titan XP.
The current Titan XP is overpriced for barely getting 60fps at 4K. I'll pay sub $800 for the Ti or $1200 for Full TItan.

As for SLI, new games aren't using it, but I have a 20+ game backlog that does use SLI.

I have zero regrets buying 2 Pascal Titan X's, but that's me, for others the gains might not be so good going SLI.

Most of the games I play, they balance out the load pretty well, especially FFXIV at max settings.

If you aren't seeing any benefit in the games you play, better to sell one off while you can still get a decent price if it cant be returned.

+1

My SLI is alive. And well for now.

I'm hard headed and don't care what the whiners say. I think 4 morons bought SLI and couldn't click some checkboxes and now cry all the time about SLI being a waste.

I will buy SLI again if money permits.

If the game doesn't support SLI then I don't support that game. It is so simple it is ridiculous.

My SLI is alive. And well for now.

I'm hard headed and don't care what the whiners say. I think 4 morons bought SLI and couldn't click some checkboxes and now cry all the time about SLI being a waste.

I will buy SLI again if money permits.

If the game doesn't support SLI then I don't support that game. It is so simple it is ridiculous.

I'm with ya! Just would feel less satisfying with a single card like something is missing after all these years.

Only game I play without it is doom.

Was it ever... really alive? There's a reason 80% of the people polled picked Titan XP over 1080 SLI.

image.jpg

I was thinking about a second 1070 for SLI - hmmm. I have plenty of games to be played that support SLI good (Witcher III, FarCry 4, GTA V . . .) that I need to play. What is holding me up is how will Vega performs? lol.

If I see another good sell for a Gigabyte G1 1070 I will probably bite and say hell with it. Never had a SLI rig. CFX was actually rather good on Windows 7 but when I moved to Windows 10 it sucked, at least for that period of time.

IMO, SLI is fun if you're an old tinkerer but don't have time to play every game on day one.

Gsync is highly recommended.

I have GSync. Sli is fantastic when it works even at 1440P. For example, I would not play Witcher 3, Division or Ass Creed Syndicate without SLi.

Was it ever... really alive? There's a reason 80% of the people polled picked Titan XP over 1080 SLI.

It worked pretty well for me with dual 660GTX SLI. Best bang for buck solution I ever had.
Now from what I see, SLI is useless. Sad.

Chiming in to help out the Pro SLI guys. I have run SLI setup's for years and honestly it doesn't seem like much has changed. Some games support it and some don't. In the last month more triple A games have come out without support, but we are never guaranteed SLI support and we all know that going in. That said, the games I play all support it except for Forza Horizon 3. If you play games that support SLI, it isn't a waste if you ask me. Long live SLI! ;)

Another note I think is worth mentioning is with DX12 being so new and developers struggling to get decent performance out of single GPU setups still in some cases, I think mGPU would come later, once they get this part figured out. If not then yes I suppose SLI will be dead, but I don't see that happening with Nvidia needing it for higher res/refresh rate setups and AMD needing it just as bad if not worse.

Last edited:
Never had to tinker with sli.. either the game uses it or not. Been doing it since 3Dfx voodoo2 12mb cards! <- godfather of sli!

Never had to tinker with sli.. either the game uses it or not. Been doing it since 3Dfx voodoo2 12mb cards! <- godfather of sli!

Ha, same here. Diamond Monster VooDoo 2's ftw.

Honestly though the number of games that have SLi support is getting smaller and smaller. My 1080's might be the last time I go the SLi route. DX12 is putting multi-gpu support on the developers and I'll be interested to see where that goes. At the moment there are enough games with SLi support that I am playing or that I need to play for me to justify my twin 1080's. With mGPU support being pushed onto the developers in DX12 it's really in their hands whether SLi continues or ends.

Seriously, my second 1080 is sleeping most of the time.

Mafia 3
Gears of War 4
Forza Horizon 3
StarCraft 2
Deus Ex MD (until recently)
BF 1
Doom

Is this the future? SLi is dead for good? I need to sell this second card asap if this is the case.

Any news if the new games will support SLi or not. Talking about:

Titanfall 2
Dishonored 2
Watch Dawgs 2
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
etc. etc.

sell em both and get a Titan XP :)

I've noticed fewer and fewer games supporting SLI on my 980Ti's...I was considering selling them while they've still got a bit of value and getting a single Titan XP, but I think I'm going to hold out for a Titan Volta...I'm done with SLI after all this. It's never really been a hassle or produced microstutter, or required constant tweaking of profiles like some people claim. It's just not worth the money IMO. I'm paying twice the cost for maybe 60% more performance in about 30% of new titles.

I haven't run a multi-GPU setup since my GTX-295. Don't really miss it. It always seemed to work fine back then, but I haven't really played anything in recent years that a single card I owned couldn't handle sufficiently. I'm not interested in 4K right now though. I figure, I'll be into it when a single GPU card that can handle it is available with a reasonable price.

IMO, SLI is fun if you're an old tinkerer but don't have time to play every game on day one.

Gsync is highly recommended.
Have a non GSync/FreeSync 3440x1440p curved monitor - I would be looking at adaptive Vsync and maintaining 60fps. I have not tried to OC the monitor yet, others were able to get 75hz-85hz out of it. Adaptive vsync works so well on Nvidia. Just have to keep that frame rate up all the time.

There are plenty of games for me that SLI works. I normally play older games (good deals etc.) and play only the newer games I really want to play and can get at a good price.

Well some positive news. Watch Dawggies is supposed to be released with SLi support out of the box. Will believe it when I see it though lol.

I too have also invested in a GTX 1080 SLI setup, not too impressed with it. It works great when it does, but has it's issues as such games don't either support it or have partial support which is a waste of money when your second card doesn't too anything.

Back