SLI gtx 295 cooling issue

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an issue trying to cool sli'ed gtx 295's they are running hot enough to crash the computer without some large house fan in front of my rig which is pretty stupid. I'm looking for a decent aftermarket cooler or if anyone knows where I can find a "universal" (at least for nvidia?) or very cheap waterblock for it that would be awesome. Thanks guys!

single interconnect per card but takes up 2 slots on my case

he's asking if you have the center fan version (the single PCB revision), or the version with a bunch of heat vents on the top (launch version - dual PCB, also known as the sandwitch).

The dual PCB looks like:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-preview/

The reason is both are official revisions from nVidia, and both have drastically different aftermarket cooling solutions avalible.

HaHA sorry rev. 2 single pcb didn't realize thats what ya meant (obviously)

What kind of case and what power supply is running your rig?

Components can overheat if they aren't receiving enough power too. It may very well be the card but if you have a case with shitty airflow coupled with a Hippro 250 watt supply you have a recipe for a pc that will easily overheat. ;)

The case is an OEM asus "monolith" mid size tower with a fan on front and back to push/pull. One card is running on a corsair cx 500 watt, and the other is running on a dedicated asus 480 psu.

Last edited:
If that 500W is also used to power the rest of the system, it sounds like you are a bit under powered for that card. I run my GTX 295 along with my other components (in sig) on a Corsair HX620 and I think that's actually considered pushing it (though it's considered a good PSU with plenty of amps). I know when my original PCB model died after a year of use, the EVGA techs were trying to blame my PSU for not being strong enough (not true, the card just died). I've been running the replacement single PCB version for a couple of years now without issue.

Some comments about GTX 295 PSU needs from an original review of an SLI setup: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-review-bfg/5

A little more looking around and most of the suggestions for the primary PSU in a GTX 295 system is that it needs to be able to supply 50A on the 12V rail(s). My HX620 provides exactly 50A. A CX500 only supplies 34A on the 12V rail.

Perfect, thanks for the help man! Stil wanna water cool it though =P

xCWolf I had a dual PCB version for a while and it ran hotter than a mofo i found my self cleaning out the heat sink and applying arctic silver at least once every 2-3 months.

Once I got the Single PCB version all that needed to be done was to clean the heat sinks every 5-6 months and the temps would fall back to normal.

moral of the story, make sure dust hasn't clogged the heat sink you'll start to wonder whay the ac isn't cooling the house down. ;)

BTW your best bet is to watercool it but considering its a single pcb version the water blocks are gonna be cheaper and easier to find. good luck man!!

Last edited:
Yeah....watercooling is the best solution imo, but you have to make sure all your fans are working and there is proper ventilation in the case....tidy cable management can help in this case.

Thanks guys, yeah, they're clean i only got them a few weeks ago and used a high velocity compressed air thing at my job to clean them 0 dust =P

Anyway, where is the best place for me to get waterblocks for them?

Back