SLI + 6800GT + Widescreen = ?

Budzman

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that there are problems with widescreen monitors (i have 2005fpw) and 6800 ultra's in SLI but does it work fine with 6800 GT's?

I also heard that you can fix the problem with the ultra's by simply using the VGA cable instead of a DVI hookup, is that true?

What problem are you having with it? You're being sort of vague. Video distortion, ghosting, motion blurring, texture ripping, etc.

I've been using dual 6600GT's on my 2005fpw with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

There shouldn't a difference between Ultras or GT's in your particular setup because the only difference is clock speed (Ultras are just higher yield chips).

Skrying said:
SLI + widescreen = bad. Its a known fact now pretty much.
True.dat

Most of the Time. SLI + Widescreen = the lower half of your picture annd or the very bottom of your screen shaking up and down. Almost lilke a Vibration. Personally. I thihk this is a problem with the hardware and filters and how its set up, and cant be fixed by drivers. I say that becuase this has been an issue since day 1, even on Nvidia's own forums and since then, numerous drivers have been released, still with no fix.

Suck for NVidia. Hopefully they will fix it with the G70 Cards.

Well, both Kyle and Anand have talked to Nvidia and they have been told it's been corrected. I can tell and be 100% sure that this is NOT at hardware issue, atleast that is not overcomable. I can personally verify that using the 76.71 x64 betas on XP Pro x64 this issue is corrected. It's just waiting for a new beta release/leak for something on the 32bit platform past the current 76.50's. Anything past 76.71 should be corrected.

Yeah, I hope they get it worked out. It'll be interesting to see with the next few drivers releases or so if a fix comes.

Skrying said:
SLI + widescreen = bad. Its a known fact now pretty much.

Really now... I have no such problem at all.
I'm running:
2x MSI 6600gt 128mn
k8n neo4 platinum SLi
Dell 2005fpw
(no other specs should matter)

I've been running it in SLi for sometime, no issues that you are describing (or below your post and now above mine have been seen by me. This is for both games that only support 4:3 (doom3 for instance) ratio and games that support 16:9 and 16:10 (like hl2 and FFXI).

I've also tested the hardware on FarCry and a lot of other games.

Is this an abnormaility that only a few users are having? I find this sort of thing interesting, do you guys have articals and other linkage? Useful info would be cool.

Edit: I re-read some of the posts, if the drivers fixed it that would make sense. I update frequently because I do review work and sorta have to.

you are one of only 2 people I've heard of that do not have the problem. The other being a mod at the NV forums.

He has a 2005fpw so he's running DVI because I highly doubt he doesn't know the difference's and which is better.

Yes, running DVi currently.

Althought I do think it would be interesting to hear about what it's like to fool arround with 24" wide screen Sony CRT's....

It can be a problem even for those using other monitors. In my case a Samsung 213T using DVI of course at 1600x1200.

I get a thin blue line at the top of my screen on Windows XP Pro bootup.

With HL:2 I get a "shaking" effect at times as that display line alternates. Very irritating.

It's fixed running HL:2 in Windowed mode, going to a lower resolution (it looks ugly), or using the VGA connector (also ugly).

I've used the latest Nvidia drivers, and even a couple of beta drivers without luck so far.

It's a big enough deal that I think the issue should be include in the Nvidia SLI update features that are done here.

Oh yeah - system.

ASUS SLI Deluxe
FX-55
A pair of 6800 GT's

I can boot into Windows just fine in sli at 1920X1200 via dvi, but it wont game at that res. HL2 gives the constant shaky screen, as does Painkiller. Hope it's fixed soon.

Wow this is the first that I've heard of this. I found this link after reading about it on the main [H] site. I think this is a very big deal, and I'm surprised it hasn't attracted more attention, other than on forums.....

My question is, how did this issue not get mentioned in any SLI reviews???

Front page news.

SLI Widescreen Broken:
Seems as though folks with a pocket full of money are getting the shaft when it comes to using their NVIDIA SLI setup. Users that have recently purchased monitors such at Dell's 2005FPW Widescreen LCD panels are having some major quality issues when it comes to using their SLI setups. The biggest complaint seems to be a "jittery" or "rolling" screen. Also some folks have complained about Vsync being broken as well under SLI with their widescreens. There are a couple of heated threads to review here and here.

Tested the latest official 71.84 WHQL driver and it did not fix the "jittery" rolling screen issue when running HL2 and CS:S widescreen resolutions: 1680x1050 DVI or 1280x768 VGA with SLI.

Workaround is to select 1280x1024 or any other 4:3 resolution or run 1680x1050 in a window.

This would of course obscure the proportions of game elements.

Contacting NVIDIA, they seemed to be well aware of the problems with SLI and widescreen and promised that fixes for these issues that have been bothering SLI users for months and months would arrive soon. I would not expect anything sooner than a month out though.

It is quite a shame that the what is likely the cream of the high end user group has been getting the stinky end of the stick since last year. Or I guess we can just blame Dell for making those widescreens so available.

jebo_4jc said:
My question is, how did this issue not get mentioned in any SLI reviews???

Because nobody uses a WS LCD for any video card reviews, at least not that I have seen. WS LCD's are VERY popular, and it would be very helpful if they would add at least one. I know things cost money, but I didnt even get a response from Kyle or anyone else when making a post asking such a question.

fallguy said:
Because nobody uses a WS LCD for any video card reviews, at least not that I have seen. WS LCD's are VERY popular, and it would be very helpful if they would add at least one. I know things cost money, but I didnt even get a response from Kyle or anyone else when making a post asking such a question.
I understand some reviewers either:
A) Don't have the $$ to spend on a high end WS LCD
B) Don't have the time to test every single resolution known to man
Let me first say this: I am a hardcore enthusiast (I regularly check 5 hardware sites, I have read or at least browsed every video article they printed since GeForce was first born, and also generally keep up with most of their news postings and forums). This is the first I've heard of this issue. I can't imagine none of the reviewers even tried a WS resolution?

jebo_4jc said:
I understand some reviewers either:
A) Don't have the $$ to spend on a high end WS LCD
B) Don't have the time to test every single resolution known to man
Let me first say this: I am a hardcore enthusiast (I regularly check 5 hardware sites, I have read or at least browsed every video article they printed since GeForce was first born, and also generally keep up with most of their news postings and forums). This is the first I've heard of this issue. I can't imagine none of the reviewers even tried a WS resolution?

I know it probably wouldnt be free. A LOT of people are using WS LCD's now though, WS is the future. You can see that in TV's, and PC monitors.

To be fair to their consumers, they should bring up the point when reviewing SLI systems. Its been known for several months that SLI+WS has had problems. Perhaps since they dont do the tests themselves, they dont want to comment on it. But then the person who reads the review, and buys a SLI system gets screwed till it gets fixed.

This problem, and the extremely high prices (at the time) of the GT/U's were the reason Id didnt go SLI when I built this PC.

Thanks Kyle!!!

Also, look for an upcoming story on TheInquirer.net....

YES! Thank you Kyle!

You should have quoted my post from here at [H] instead of the one I made over at NZONE :D (I duplicated that post on several sites)

Yes!

Thanks Kyle. It's about time the problem got some news. HardOCP tells it like it is once again.

The leaked 76.45s did NOT resolve the issue for me...and they are dated 4/22/05...

I gave up on my two SLI systems at home.. both connected to Dell 2405FPW's I got rid of two of the cards and now have my lone 6800U SLI at work connected to Dell 2001FP

I dropped X850XT's in my SLI systems until this mess gets sorted out...

edit..

And Nvidia needs to fix the no dual monitor with SLI enabled garbage... that and the fact that if you drop a PCI videocard in your system to run a third monitor it disables SLI also.

UnknownSouljer said:
Really now... I have no such problem at all.
I'm running:
2x MSI 6600gt 128mn
k8n neo4 platinum SLi
Dell 2005fpw
(no other specs should matter)

I've been running it in SLi for sometime, no issues that you are describing (or below your post and now above mine have been seen by me. This is for both games that only support 4:3 (doom3 for instance) ratio and games that support 16:9 and 16:10 (like hl2 and FFXI).

I've also tested the hardware on FarCry and a lot of other games.

Is this an abnormaility that only a few users are having? I find this sort of thing interesting, do you guys have articals and other linkage? Useful info would be cool.

Edit: I re-read some of the posts, if the drivers fixed it that would make sense. I update frequently because I do review work and sorta have to.

I don't have the shaking problems either:

2 x MSI 6800 256mb
Dell 2005FPW
Athlon FX-55

Hey I just found a game that works in sli at 1920X1200 on my machine! Unreal 2, and it looks great and runs smooth.

I have 2 2001FP's and SLI enabled. Can I use dual DVI displays? Cause my machine is not recognizing the second display. Is the only way to have dual displays by disabling SLI?

I followed you all over from the nv forums that Ronin has complely hosed, what an ass.
He has some complex. Someone spends this kind of $ shouldnt have to deal with pricks like that.

Anyways I have the same problems everyone else has described.

I heard a few of you have gone to or back to ATI, me I have alwys been ATI this was my first nvidiot....

I tried losing the DVI but that made things just horrid to play on so back to 4:3 resolutions for CSS

How are the 850Xt's holding up for FPS in CSS with widescreen.

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
AMD FX53
2 GB. CORSAIR XMS Memory
2x 74 GB Raptor Drives (raid 0, SIL 3114)
2x Leadtek PX6800GT
Viewsonic VP231wb

LaZyDayZ said:
I followed you all over from the nv forums that Ronin has complely hosed, what an ass.
He has some complex. Someone spends this kind of $ shouldnt have to deal with pricks like that.

Anyways I have the same problems everyone else has described.

I heard a few of you have gone to or back to ATI, me I have alwys been ATI this was my first nvidiot....

I tried losing the DVI but that made things just horrid to play on so back to 4:3 resolutions for CSS

How are the 850Xt's holding up for FPS in CSS with widescreen.

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
AMD FX53
2 GB. CORSAIR XMS Memory
2x 74 GB Raptor Drives (raid 0, SIL 3114)
2x Leadtek PX6800GT
Viewsonic VP231wb

I had an X850XT PCIe and RMA'd it for the SLI setup b/c of my monitor. If ATI would release a card that could play 1920x1200 at a contstant 60FPS I'd go back...

fatguy said:
I had an X850XT PCIe and RMA'd it for the SLI setup b/c of my monitor. If ATI would release a card that could play 1920x1200 at a contstant 60FPS I'd go back...
I'm sure X850XT can play HL2 at that res, assuming you don't have 8xAA and 16xAF on......
It averages 83fps at 16x12 with 4xAA and 16xAF......

jebo_4jc said:
I'm sure X850XT can play HL2 at that res, assuming you don't have 8xAA and 16xAF on......
It averages 83fps at 16x12 with 4xAA and 16xAF......

but it wouldn't play well with my nForce4 setup for some reason....and it was loud as h*ll...

...and yes, I like AA/AF ;)

My X800XL in my Shuttle works nicely at Widescreen resolutions in CS:S and is close enough to my framerate from my SLI setup. You should have no issues with X850XT!

-Dave

So did I understand this correctly.....2xleadtek 6600GT TDH extreme edition connected in SLI will be foobered with a gorgeous Dell 2405fpw? Or is this only a single monitor SLI issue or the issue of SLI dvi connection that everyone is talking about on dfi-street or is this somethign else? Please explain.

Thanks,

Rex

rexian said:
So did I understand this correctly.....2xleadtek 6600GT TDH extreme edition connected in SLI will be foobered with a gorgeous Dell 2405fpw? Or is this only a single monitor SLI issue or the issue of SLI dvi connection that everyone is talking about on dfi-street or is this somethign else? Please explain.

Thanks,

Rex
I have left this post un replied to for a few days because I am no expert I am only telling you what I expierance and what others have said.

Running SLi with a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution will result in a thin line at top of desktop, wavey or rolling display problems in certain games, Wide screen resolutions not available in certain games etc.

Google " SLI Widescreen" and you will find it has been posted every where, From what I can find the only post by NV was in the NV forums stating there was a fix to be released with next driver. That has been about a moth now. Other than that no official response.

LittleMe said:
you are one of only 2 people I've heard of that do not have the problem. The other being a mod at the NV forums.

I ran dual 6600gts as well with a 2005 fpw and no issues at all. I have not tried it with my Ultras (waiting for an insurance check to get a new wide screen)

I can't speak for the 6600 series cards, but generally speaking most of the people who have had this problem are 6800gt/ultra owners (I think mostly the early adopters as well).

Also you have to run a WS resolution to see the problem...some people just stretch 1600x1200 over a widescreen, which is what I'm doing now and will work fine in SLI.

More days past and nothing, arghhh..

I see Windows x64 has now been released and I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe it was this thread, I cant remember I am following numerous on this topic) that the nvidia 64bit drivers had already resolved the issue.

Can anyone confirm, SLI- Widescreen- Win x64- Counter Strike Source would give me the results I HAVE PAID FOR!

Or would it just be another $170 down the drain, CSS is really the only game I care about, other than that I run Office 2003 and Photoshop.

Back