• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sleeving fan and case cables

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
1,127
So I am getting ready to order some fans and such for the case, planning on sleeving everything in there. I've looked at several guides and such, but I wanted some advice from people on here who have done it themselves.

Most likely getting this: http://www.jab-tech.com/Budget-Black-expandable-cable-sleeve-kit-pr-2385.html

or this: http://www.jab-tech.com/Techflex-Case-mod-expandable-wire-sleeving-kit-Black-pr-1896.html

Which would you prefer? Also, is getting tools necessary? Jab-tech's customer support said that using a paper clip on the 3-pin fans is just as easy as any tools, but I'm willing to invest if it's worth it.

Also, my psu is already sleeved, so this will be doing eight fans and case cables.

Thanks.
 
I find a small jewlers flat screwdriver is perfect for releasing pins from fan and front panel led/reset/power connectors. The ones that have the pin held by a "flap" on the outside of the connector. Push the wire/connector fully into the housing and very very gently (you dont want to break the "flap" off, ) work the jewlers screw driver under the flap and lift it just a tiny bit and then tug on the wire and it comes right out. I have done it with a sharp pointed exacto knife too but its easy to stick yourself. I have done the large 4 pin molex with several home made tools but if you are going to do a whole supply if you can get a cheap tool for $3-$5 it is worth buying to prevent the annoyance and you will save time.
 
for the fan connectors all you need is something small to poke the retaining tabs in with. I just used a pointed soldering tool. I also found that the best thing to cut it with is a new pair of wire snips. Scissors can push the sleeving out of place and give a jagged cut. For my fans I used Techflex clean cut $5 per 25 feet and some heatshrink from the hardware store.

FILE0036.jpg

SSPX0244.jpg
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top