Skyrim Vs The Witcher 3

Very different games, stupid question. That said, I'd say The Witcher 3 is a better game over all. Better writing, better quest design, better combat mechanics, character development, graphics (out of the box)... Skyrim and other "sandbox" style games can't begin to compare with a "proper" RPG like The Witcher 3 (which does have heavy sandbox elements, but they're mostly optional).

Imo
Skyrim wins with customizations and combat.

WITCHER 3 wins with questing(less repetitive) , lore and acting.

Both games have incredible moments where you truly feel blessed for living in a time where this kind of awesome stuff is available to you.

Last edited:
I would take witcher 3 every time, add the blood and wine expansion, and it makes the choice even easier imo

Not really a good comparison, they are totally different games. I attempted to get into the Witcher series 3 times, but I just couldn't. I hate them. Skyrim I played through, started modding and played through again, modded even more and played through again. The world and the customization via mods was incredible. Some of the underworlds I got dropped into in Skyrim make me just stop playing and take screenshots of my environment, no other game has even made me do that.

If you think you'd have more fun with open world shenanigans, Skyrim is the better game. You can create your own character from scratch (appearance, race, etc.) On the other hand, Witcher 3 has far.. far... FAR better story, writing, and voice acting. But they're both awesome games.

Both are great. I'd toss Dragon Age: Inquisition in the conversation as a 3rd game that's as good (or nearly as good) as Skyrim and Witcher 3 as well.
When Witcher 3 hit, that game was forgotten, but it's wonderful, too.

I like them both , but if forced to choose , the Witcher 3 wins hands down .

Witcher 3, I don't even think it's close. The combat in skyrim flat out stinks. THere's some cool missions in the dark brotherhood and thieves guild, but the main quest is crap. The witcher is far better in basically all aspects, quest design, world design, game play, character development, plot, graphics.

They are two completely different types of games IMO.

While both are RPG's both have their own strengths/weaknesses. Something about the open world of Skyrim still makes it fun to explore even now. While Witcher 3 is amazing I do not feel compelled to explore the Witcher 3 game world outside of where the missions take me.

Witcher 3 because it made me care about the characters & question my morals. Skyrim is great for playing with ideas & having fun in a sandbox type environment. But for pure storytelling and emotion, the Witcher wins by a very large margin.

I always like to note in these threads that if you have not played the Witcher 3 DLC (Blood & Wine), especially if you played the base game, you're missing out on the conclusion of a great story... not to mention arguably the best RPG of 2016.

Skyrim just kind of drops you in the middle of a big sandbox. While there is a story, it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, it's more fun just to bugger off and do your own thing for a few hundred hours.

Witcher 3 is open world, and you can certainly go off and do your own thing, but inevitably you will always get drawn back into it's main story.

Which is better is totally subjective, but I'd pick Witcher 3 any day of the week.

WItcher 3:
- Well written
- Interesting and diverse quests
- Great characters
- Tons of exploration
- Immersive and well laid out world
- Absolutely massive game

Skyrim:
- Unparalleled freedom
- Modding
- Gorgeous world

I havent tried witcher 3 i liked skyrim but it every eaisly gets borrign challange wise. the game is SUPER easy once you get the game mechanics under your belt.

if you are a PowerPlayer/MinMax'er you are quickly playing skyrim sorely for the story linie

Outside of Blood and Wine the Witcher is incredibly easy, too. Between Quen essentially making you invulnerable, Axii letting you stun enemies at will, Igni compounding damage, or Aard knocking everything down for a 1-shot kill, it's not an overly challenging game either.
If you're looking for challenge, I dunno if I'd go with any of the giant open world games.

I havent tried witcher 3 i liked skyrim but it every eaisly gets borrign challange wise. the game is SUPER easy once you get the game mechanics under your belt.

if you are a PowerPlayer/MinMax'er you are quickly playing skyrim sorely for the story linie

I personally find Skyrim more challenging then Witcher 3. Witcher 3 on max difficulty really isn't difficult as the majority of battles you can just dance around like an idiot for as long as you need to dodge attacks, and parrying isn't exactly difficult either. At least Skyrim has certain areas that present a difficulty to different character builds.

Witcher 3.

Better story
Better writing
Better characters
Better animation
Better graphics
Better sound
Better world design (lot less copy + paste, like the dungeons in Skyrim all feel the exact same).
Better creatures/monsters (lot more variety and unique things to find, vs the very generic monsters you find in Skyrim).

Skyrim
Better mod support
More open customization (since you can make your own character).

Witcher 3 for me wins hands down.

Skyrim, like most Bethesda games, are very fun games to explore in and find things, but they just have such terrible writing/animations, very cliche stories and the engines for them are so outdated/janky, it really drags the experience down after a while.

If your game relies on mods that fans have to work on to make it "great" in the first place then you should work on it more.

Bethesda is about the ONLY AAA studio with a TON of money that I know of that still can't seem to get things like a "modern" engine,GOOD animation, and decent writing right.

I personally find Skyrim more challenging then Witcher 3. Witcher 3 on max difficulty really isn't difficult as the majority of battles you can just dance around like an idiot for as long as you need to dodge attacks, and parrying isn't exactly difficult either. At least Skyrim has certain areas that present a difficulty to different character builds.

Now i know nothing about witcher 3 at all so please bear with me.
But skyrim hadf absolutely no threat to kill or hardly even hurt you even the hardest difficulty. Once you figure out blacksmithing/enchanting/and alchemy. you pretty much become god in the game. the only thing that could ever hurt me was that weird black shadows thing in one of the expansions but it was only in one or a few dungeons. i think it could actual hurt me because it was percentage based and not just a statics dmg number. but when the biggest dragons has around 4k as base and i think the highest difficult multiply it with 6 and you weapons does 30k in elemental dmg alone... thats one swing and gone.

if you invest some time in skyrim on gear every beatable obstacle is just a matter of a single click no matter if is a door a dragon or pickpocketing stuff.

However i you are not a PowerPlayer/MinMax'er you experience might very well be different. I'm just the kind of guy that has excel and calc open next to the game.

Offcause you can artificially increase difficult and hinder yourself by not making you own gear, but that is really not a trait of the game.

never could get into Witcher have 2 of them and never could get into it. Skyrim well I just passed 4k hrs. according to steam.

never could get into Witcher have 2 of them and never could get into it. Skyrim well I just passed 4k hrs. according to steam.

The Witcher (1) has literally the worst combat system I have ever experienced in a game. Fucking ever. I've tried to start that game probably 5 or 6 times by now, and never made it more than an hour in because... fuck my life. No. No. Even with mods and all, no.

The Witcher 2 was... better. Mind you, that's not saying much when the baseline is "worst combat system I've ever experienced in 20+ years of gaming" (and I'm nearly 32, so not claiming I started at age 2 or something). I got about half way through based on my reading of the story before the all-important "fuck this, my time is worth more."

3? It took me a while to get in to, I think I tried a couple times to get a start, but 2 or 3 monster hunting quests in I was hooked. The backstory, the preparation, the lead-up, the fights... it was all there. I was almost sad when encounters finally started to get easier; shield up, stun, swing. I actually missed the dancing around, the frantic healing, using oils, all that. Kept going, though, because the plot was more than worth it. The DLC just added to this. Hearts of Stone was epic, and Blood and Wine (as many have said) is a great send-off to the series. It hurts me that CD Projekt Red has decided to step away at the series' highest point, but at the same time I understand why. Very much looking forward to their Cyberpunk game and all that follows.

Now i know nothing about witcher 3 at all so please bear with me.
But skyrim hadf absolutely no threat to kill or hardly even hurt you even the hardest difficulty. Once you figure out blacksmithing/enchanting/and alchemy. you pretty much become god in the game. the only thing that could ever hurt me was that weird black shadows thing in one of the expansions but it was only in one or a few dungeons. i think it could actual hurt me because it was percentage based and not just a statics dmg number. but when the biggest dragons has around 4k as base and i think the highest difficult multiply it with 6 and you weapons does 30k in elemental dmg alone... thats one swing and gone.

if you invest some time in skyrim on gear every beatable obstacle is just a matter of a single click no matter if is a door a dragon or pickpocketing stuff.

However i you are not a PowerPlayer/MinMax'er you experience might very well be different. I'm just the kind of guy that has excel and calc open next to the game.

Offcause you can artificially increase difficult and hinder yourself by not making you own gear, but that is really not a trait of the game.

Maybe I've never gotten high enough level in each of my playthroughs, but on max difficulty Skyrim definitely can present a challenge. Meaning I have to spam food/healing potions or do other things to keep me alive in a lot of fights, or reload and find a different way to approach a fight / use the environment to help me.

I never had this with Witcher 3 because Witcher 3 once you get good at the dodge/parry mechanics doesn't really have any challenge from that point on.

Maybe i'm not 'spreadsheeting' things 'correctly' like you say - But that kills the fun of it for me. I do utilize the shit out of the wiki for quests just to make sure i'm doing quests the 'best' way, but I don't ever go out of my way to 'optimize' my character to the maximum extent of the maths that the game allows. I put my skill points in what I think is best and have fun.

They are very different and while witcher 3 is very quirky I can't really think of anywhere skyrim wins 'cept perhaps magic. However, Dragon's Dogma has better exploration (caves and such are better designed than witcher which tends to be short and linear) and both Dragon's Dogma and witcher have better story pregresson/moments though witcher 3 really wins there. THe thing abuot witcher 3 is that even a simple fetch quest can have an interesting back story and interaction. Dogma seems to have the most world changes as the story progresses (skyrim totally sucks here - in fact skryim sucks beyond sucks with regards to story preogression - what you do has no impact on the world aroudn you).
-
Hum. Boardlands 2 was a lot of fun :)

I have never been a huge fan of the medieval-looking rpg games, but after playing Witcher 3 that has changed. I am not sure if it has changed in general, but Witcher 3 is now my favorite game of all time. I just started playing Skyrim Special Edition over the weekend. I haven't gotten that far into it. I've only gotten outside the cave in the beginning, but it seems okay. I have never played Skyrim before and honestly the game looks good to me. I don't know how the game looked before, but this looks fine. It is hard to follow the story and the world already but it's interesting. I'll keep plugging along, but it in no way has the appeal Witcher 3 did for me but that doesn't make it a bad game at all. Will have to see, but as of right now I am going with Witcher 3.

Maybe I've never gotten high enough level in each of my playthroughs, but on max difficulty Skyrim definitely can present a challenge. Meaning I have to spam food/healing potions or do other things to keep me alive in a lot of fights, or reload and find a different way to approach a fight / use the environment to help me.

I never had this with Witcher 3 because Witcher 3 once you get good at the dodge/parry mechanics doesn't really have any challenge from that point on.

Maybe i'm not 'spreadsheeting' things 'correctly' like you say - But that kills the fun of it for me. I do utilize the shit out of the wiki for quests just to make sure i'm doing quests the 'best' way, but I don't ever go out of my way to 'optimize' my character to the maximum extent of the maths that the game allows. I put my skill points in what I think is best and have fun.

I think it boils down to play style. which is why i'm putting an emphasis on powerplayers/MinMax. if you are more casual/just for shit and gigles playerg it might be different. But I'm the kind of guy that has excel and several calc's open when playing almost anygame to make sure i do almost anything as optimal as possible in the game. I like to measure analyze and optimize, I find it fun, definitely not something everyone do. Like playing the old DOS MoO there is a 7% percentage off your accumulated research thats gets tripppled for the current rounds input. so off cause i keep a precise bookkeeping to know exactly how much to put in to ride that bonus as much as possible.
I memorize attack patterns of the most and counts out how much shots of different weapens they need to die the fast.
E.G. the old redo of doom i remember one of the soldiers would always leap forward swinging his tentacle. if you duck at the right moment he misses and you can get a shotgun right in his guts. 1% of the time its instant dead 99% of the time his is still standing and is going to kick you. If you immediately backup after the shot, he is still going to kick but you are out of reach to deal the finishing blow.
The little shrieking lighting shooting round monster in half-life takes 2 shotgun rounds or around 30 shots with the machine gun. one reload cycle of the shotgun is faster than the machinegun so you take one down faster that way. however multiple cycle of shotguns is slower than using the machines gun (because the first shot you get for "free" timewise).
So yeah playstyle might be highly different :D

if you do play skyrim and don't invest time i gear, the game can possible posea threat, agreed, but when I hit around lvl 50 and started doing gear, the rest of the game had no challenges.
Nothing could hurt me ( besides those pesky shadows things) nothing survived more than one hit. cant run out of mana. The only real challenges where to keep npc alive if a dragon started to attack a city. (i had a horrible bow aim)

Anyea I don't know how the OP plays, if he doesn't play the way I do, he will probably find it different.

There aren't very many action RPG's that offer high levels of challenge since you can unbalance the gameplay in pretty much all of them. With Skyrim it's going bonkers as a smith. In the Witcher, it's spamming signs and dodging. In Dragon Age, it's spamming character abilities in sequence or kiting with a mage.
The key is that these games allow you to play in a lot of different ways. You can make them as hard or easy as you want depending on how much you feel like abusing mechanics. I like that those mechanics are there so that everyone can enjoy them. Don't like them? Don't do those things.
If you're simply looking for a challenge, look no further than the Souls games.

For me this is no contest. Skyrim is a bland, pointless, time suck compared to the Witcher 3. I enjoyed Skyrim, don't get me wrong, but W3 is in a class almost it's own.

Why not both?

I'd give Witcher 3 the nod as a fist purchase if price isn't the issue...

Are you more limited by HD space or time to play?

Witcher 3 is $25 & Skyrim Special Edition is $20 right now,.

For $45 - you'll get a minimum 45 hours game time.

$1 per hour is pretty cheap entertainment!

Last edited:
W3
No contest.
But I might be biased.
When I played Skyrim, I made my character look like Geralt (and actually got pretty goddamn close), played a dual wielding battlemage and wore the wolf armor as soon as I could get it and pretended I was Geralt who had been magically transported to the Skyrim universe to administer some proper Witcher ass whooping, while I also made sure to get married to the hottest chick I could find that looked like Triss and keep her in my house that they let me build and thanks to a good bug almost every time I went to my house she was in bed sleeping naked.
I could not wait for Witcher 3 and when it finally came out, I was not disappoint.

But, for contrast. I could never do the same in the Witcher3 or any of the Witcher games. I couldn't pretend to be someone else like I could in Skyrim.
Food for thought.

Perhaps I'm the minority here, but I've played enough JRPG's to where narrative is no longer paramount.

If I watch to engulf myself in a story (which Witcher 3 is clearly aspiring to, due to the camera angles during conversations etc), I'll watch a movie.

+1 for Skyrim, once more.

I haven't plated a lot of W3 but right out of the gate I prefer Skyrim because you choose character and class, etc. In W3 you get a pre-made character and that is it.

Back