Skylake/Z170 finally available

Just showed up as OOS @ MC Fairfax; oddly enough, MC Rockville has plenty - same price as Amazon ($269.99). Still, MC doesn't have that many motherboards; but the ones they DO have are cheaper than Amazon's.

This is ALSO why multiple MC locations should be checked where feasible - what one location may lack, another location may actually have. (At least I didn't have to include MC Towson in the checklist; while technically reachable, they ARE a bit far.)

Has anyone gotten one (from anywhere)? I simply want to confirm the lack of HSF.

Nice to know there is an [H]'er around NOVA-MD area. I'll be making a MC run sometime tomorrow or weekend :D for this exact reason.

Nice to know there is an [H]'er around NOVA-MD area. I'll be making a MC run sometime tomorrow or weekend :D for this exact reason.

I'm in the area too. Anyway, it seems kind of dumb to buy a 6600k for $269 when you can get a $299 5820k. It doesn't seem like MC is running their usual CPU discount on Skylake right now.

I'm in the area too. Anyway, it seems kind of dumb to buy a 6600k for $269 when you can get a $299 5820k. It doesn't seem like MC is running their usual CPU discount on Skylake right now.

Hey there :)

Did MC roll out their Ivy Bridge and Haswell discounts right after Intel launched them?

This area is home, and I always play off Fairfax against Rockville, as they are the same distance away from me straight-line. (Fairfax is a bus and two subway trains away (each direction), while Rockville is four buses away (again, each direction) - no; I don't drive due to lack of car. Rockville is cheaper to get to (thanks to free bus-to-bus transfers) while Fairfax has a better layout (and usually better inventory for everything EXCEPT CPUs - the CPU inventory issue is due to the intelligence community (mostly NGIA - not CIA) and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church (east and west of MC Fairfax on US 29, respectively)) and a lower tax bite (Virginia has a lower sales tax than Maryland).

Except that you have to purchase RAM for 5820K four sticks at a time - any savings on the motherboard gets eaten by memory spending. With anything not XEON or X99, you only buy RAM two sticks at a time, and in the case of Z170, it's literally the same RAM as you would for X99. Most folks (except at the bleeding edge) aren't going to buy ALL their RAM in one purchase; they are going to buy in stages. (For example, my Skylake build sheets have have two 8 GB sticks of DDR4; 16GB is twice what I have today. When pricing drops, I'll be replacing the 8GB sticks with 16GB sticks - even with virtualization, 32GB is Supremely Silly overkill, and that is but HALF the RAM ceiling of Skylake, as Skylake - like X99 and XEON for that matter - has a 64GB RAM cap.

Except that you have to purchase RAM for 5820K four sticks at a time - any savings on the motherboard gets eaten by memory spending. With anything not XEON or X99, you only buy RAM two sticks at a time, and in the case of Z170, it's literally the same RAM as you would for X99. Most folks (except at the bleeding edge) aren't going to buy ALL their RAM in one purchase; they are going to buy in stages. (For example, my Skylake build sheets have have two 8 GB sticks of DDR4; 16GB is twice what I have today. When pricing drops, I'll be replacing the 8GB sticks with 16GB sticks - even with virtualization, 32GB is Supremely Silly overkill, and that is but HALF the RAM ceiling of Skylake, as Skylake - like X99 and XEON for that matter - has a 64GB RAM cap.

skylake is officially limited to 32gb of ram
http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

I want to see what clocks people can get with delidding
People have been getting 5+ GHz on water. Replacing the IHS with CLU TIM is showing around a 20C degree drop in temps.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1568357/skylake-delidded

PCB is paper-thin on Skylake, so the old vice method looks risky. Plenty of discussion in that thread on what would be the best way if you don't want to use a razor. No more FIVR makes the razor method a little less risky, though.

People have been getting 5+ GHz on water. Replacing the IHS with CLU TIM is showing around a 20C degree drop in temps.

Wow. I would hope Intel would take care of engineering the thermal dissipation correctly, but that doesn't look to be the case.

PCB is paper-thin on Skylake, so the old vice method looks risky. Plenty of discussion in that thread on what would be the best way if you don't want to use a razor. No more FIVR makes the razor method a little less risky, though.

Very nice :)

Good info, thanks. Not sure I'm going to take a razor to a new processor though.

This area is home, and I always play off Fairfax against Rockville, as they are the same distance away from me straight-line. (Fairfax is a bus and two subway trains away (each direction), while Rockville is four buses away (again, each direction) - no; I don't drive due to lack of car. Rockville is cheaper to get to (thanks to free bus-to-bus transfers) while Fairfax has a better layout (and usually better inventory for everything EXCEPT CPUs - the CPU inventory issue is due to the intelligence community (mostly NGIA - not CIA) and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church (east and west of MC Fairfax on US 29, respectively)) and a lower tax bite (Virginia has a lower sales tax than Maryland).

You can't beat Microcenter for open box stuff. When I was visiting my family in DC back in 08, I picked up an Intel QX-9650, an Asus P5E WS PRO mainboard and 16GB of Corsair RAM for $850. My goodness was that platform stable with Windows Vista. My nephew still runs that system to this day. It looks like I will be moving back to the DC area come Jan 2016 when I start my new job there. I have been spoiled by living 6 miles from Fry's up here in Seattle, and my new job will be in Annapolis, MD. So both Fairfax and Rockville will be miles from where I live.

And Fry's never has decent deals on Openbox items.

You can't beat Microcenter for open box stuff. When I was visiting my family in DC back in 08, I picked up an Intel QX-9650, an Asus P5E WS PRO mainboard and 16GB of Corsair RAM for $850. My goodness was that platform stable with Windows Vista. My nephew still runs that system to this day. It looks like I will be moving back to the DC area come Jan 2016 when I start my new job there. I have been spoiled by living 6 miles from Fry's up here in Seattle, and my new job will be in Annapolis, MD. So both Fairfax and Rockville will be miles from where I live.

And Fry's never has decent deals on Openbox items.

If you'll be in the Annapolis vicinity, then MC Towson would be an hour out - US 50 west to I-97 north, then the Baltimore Beltway (either east OR west) to MD 45 south into Towson proper (Francis Scott Key Bridge if you go east is tolled - no toll west, though).

Maybe you guys are right about 32gb dimm. Or maybe not. But even it really is "officially" 32 gb that doesn't mean that 64 wouldn't run. We just have to find out from the mobo manufacturer and reviews. I wouldn't buy 16gb dimms without a good return policy, let's put it that way

So far all the Z170 motherboards I've seen support 64GB if RAM. I'd wager that Skylake can't handle 32GB DIMMS.

Man, fuck this. I'll be shopping for a system upgrade in the upcoming year, and if Haswell -> Devil's Canyon was any indication, Kaby Lake will be just as big a disappointment, while we have to wait until 2017 for 10nm...

*cries in a corner*

ShopBLT inventory tracker show the following ETAs for their warehouses

California, Southern 09-03-2015
Texas 09-24-2015
Tennessee 09-10-2015
Illinois 09-17-2015
Pennsylvania 09-10-20 15

NCIX Canada is even later than these dates. This line wasn't on the page yesterday but has appeared today:

This item is not yet available but you can pre-order this now. We will ship this product shortly after its estimated arrival date of 10/02/2015.

Geez, and I was trying to get the CPU shipped to me for last weekend when it looks like they aren't going to be available until freakin' October! Sheesh! :mad:

NCIX Canada is even later than these dates. This line wasn't on the page yesterday but has appeared today:

This item is not yet available but you can pre-order this now. We will ship this product shortly after its estimated arrival date of 10/02/2015.

Geez, and I was trying to get the CPU shipped to me for last weekend when it looks like they aren't going to be available until freakin' October! Sheesh! :mad:

Been there a while, I posted this on Wednesday in another thread (08-12-2015, 06:09 PM):

Still better than NCIX whose pre order notice reads:

This item is not yet available but you can pre-order this now. We will ship this product shortly after its estimated arrival date of 10/02/2015. The final price is subject to change. You will be charged for this item once the ETA is confirmed by the manufacturer.

Paper launch like it's 2005... :rolleyes:

NCIX might just be heavily backordered now, as soon as people see they can pre order anywhere they tend to pile up. Tiger had a fake in stock label and later notified people of their ETA but it was still within late August, not October...

I certainly hope supply isn't that scarce for several months, what a bummer that'd be. Newegg and Amazon still haven't had it in stock or for pre-order (unless you count gouge happy merchants), you gotta figure they'll get some of the largest shipments.

I finally got the email this morning that French amazon has shipped my i7. Should get over here in America by Wednesday, and cost <$400 including tax, so not bad. Free shipping because they fucked up my order too.

guh this paper launch shit has me really turned off to Intel right now. I postponed building my new rig to go skylake (Im still on an i7 930). I'm tempted to just go x99 but I want to future proof since I can't upgrade yearly like I used to do.

Get shipping to Murica you bastards. Are you too good for your home?

My local Microcenter today said they actually have a SKU for the 6700k in their system which means they should be getting it "real soon.". Whatever that means.

And they had it in their system for $389.

Last edited:
My local Microcenter today said they actually have a SKU for the 6700k in their system which means they should be getting it "real soon.". Whatever that means.

And they had it in their system for $389.

Wow, does MC ever go over MSRP for any other CPU? Or did Intel raise it that high? I thought it was $350 or $360... Everybody has it in their system so to speak, ETAs are all over the place regardless.

Wow, does MC ever go over MSRP for any other CPU? Or did Intel raise it that high? I thought it was $350 or $360... Everybody has it in their system so to speak, ETAs are all over the place regardless.

I don't recall MC doing it, but a lot of parts sellers do this. It's one of the few times they can make a decent markup on H/W.

The biggest plus on this delay is we'll get more reviews of MBs. I'd like to in depth reviews of MSI and Gigabyte boards, as well as some of the other ASUS boards.

Well yeah, price gouging at release and/or during periods of high demand isn't anything new... Newegg charged $300+ for the $220 80GB X25-M G2 for the better half of a year cause demand was so high.

I'm just surprised MC, famous for their CPU deals, is doing so for a new CPU. I'm a few thousand miles and a sea away from the nearest MC either way so it's not like I really care. :p

So far all the Z170 motherboards I've seen support 64GB if RAM. I'd wager that Skylake can't handle 32GB DIMMS.

I expect that as well however I also expect it to be several years before we have 32GB UDIMMs (if ever).

Well yeah, price gouging at release and/or during periods of high demand isn't anything new... Newegg charged $300+ for the $220 80GB X25-M G2 for the better half of a year cause demand was so high.

I'm just surprised MC, famous for their CPU deals, is doing so for a new CPU. I'm a few thousand miles and a sea away from the nearest MC either way so it's not like I really care. :p

Yes I was very disappointed in MC for this. I understand not giving us a discount from day 1, but charging over list, WTF. Not the best way to reward all of us that loyally patron their stores.

guh this paper launch shit has me really turned off to Intel right now. I postponed building my new rig to go skylake (Im still on an i7 930). I'm tempted to just go x99 but I want to future proof since I can't upgrade yearly like I used to do.

Get shipping to Murica you bastards. Are you too good for your home?

I've been camping on a newegg gift certificate my wife gave me for my birthday since June waiting for the skylake launch.

Tell me about it.

Hopefully MC discounts the CPUs in their next month's ad or something. If not, it would be really disappointing to see their long time stance on cheap CPUs to get people in the door come to an end. They've always had deals on day 1 in the past, so this seems very strange. Maybe it's ths whole paper launch thing? It really makes me tempted to pick up a 5820k while I still can.

If you'll be in the Annapolis vicinity, then MC Towson would be an hour out - US 50 west to I-97 north, then the Baltimore Beltway (either east OR west) to MD 45 south into Towson proper (Francis Scott Key Bridge if you go east is tolled - no toll west, though).

Good to know, thx for the info!!! I will keep that in mind when I do move back.

Fry's up here in Seattle had a few of the new SKylake i5/i7-K series CPU's for sale a few days ago. No boards to go with it yet. I forgot to get a price for them.

Back