Skylake iGPU -> USB type C -> HDMI 2.0 -> 4k 60hz?

I want to build an HTPC in a tiny case:

acGXLsll.jpg

(Streacom F1C-WS)

There is no easy way to put a GPU in here, even a mini style card, without modding it and overcrowding/overheating the CPU. I want a silent machine for this job, and one that doesn't get hot.

I've got a mini ITX board (Gigabyte - GA-Z170N-Gaming 5) currently unused, and want to pair with a 65w cpu like an i5 6700 and low profile Noctua cooler. Or if I can somehow find a fanless one that will fit in there even better.

The Intel integrated graphics will do 4k 60hz according to Intel, but I would need to do so over DisplayPort. The motherboard only has HDMI 1.4, which will only do 4k 24hz. It does however have a USB 3.1 type C port, and there are type C -> HDMI 2.0 active adapters like the Club3d model for ~$30. will that work with the skylake iGPU to push 60hz?

The adapter seems marketed towards Macbook Pro users with USB type C ports, or tablet devices like Surface Pro. Reviews report mostly success getting 40k 60hz with the adapter on such machines. But any reason it won't work with a Skylake ITX machine? Can't seem to find in the reviews anyone who has tried

Type C is a mess. unless a reviewer tells you, there is no f way to know if the mobo will be able to transfer video data over Type c or if it is just for storage devices. i searched a few minutes, and since no one said otherwise, i will take the Gigabyte site info as truth: this type C only handles USB 3.1 functions, and will not pass DP or HDMI signals. .

if you choose a lower TDP CPU, it may be possible to fit a very small VGA with a raiser card, but i fail to see a usage scenario for that, since almost any 4k stream you want to watch will be at most 4k 30hz anyway. just pick the lowest cost CPU you can find with your desired perfomance target, a 6700 is quite the overkill for a SFF without VGA.

thanks for the info, will def. be re-thinking this project

just use the mobo for what it was designed to: a portable LAN party PC.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a barebones skylake HTPC over HDMI 1.4, i do not foresee 4k 60hz streams to become commonplace until most houses have gigabit ISp connections.

Asrock Z270 ITX fatalitywhatever has both working thunderbolt 3 port and hdmi 2.0 port, a $160 solution to your problem. The Z170 had a second hdmi port that was 2.0

Back