Sketching software question

laserdemon

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a geek, obviously. I have neglicted my art skills for many years and I want to get back into sketching. I thought it might be easier for me if I start using a computer instead of paper.

I have already bought a bamboo tablet to play with, but I do not want to spend alot of money on software for something I may not even like.

Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap GOOD software for sketching and stuff? I see there is alot out there, but want some of your opinions. I have both PC and Mac to play with so thats not a concern.

TIA

i'm guessing you want inking support

if you have MS Office 2k7 or 2k10(possibly before) OneNote is a great program for pen input.

edit: yes i realize it is a note taking software, but it is also arguably one of the best implementations of inking, and you can draw in the window as well :D

Doesn't the wacom bamboo come with photoshop elements or corel painter (light edition)? CS5 photoshop has good digital painting, so the elements version might have that (I swapped from corel painter because it wouldn't allow pictures over 1gb), as is corel painter, their quite expensive however. Windows 7 paint is ok actually :D

I prefer Sketchbook Pro (I just ordered the 2011 upgrade this week; haven't tried it yet), and occasionally use Photoshop and an old, bundled version of Painter Classic.

Here's a link which lists the top 11 programs. They all have strengths and weaknesses so you should try them all if possible. Have fun!

^ +1 on the Sketchbook, although I don't remember when was the last time I actually used it. I got out of the digital painting a long time ago. Truth be told, MS Paint in Win7 is pretty good too.

Back