• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Single Hex + GPU folders - I need your help

60.7k ppd running @ -smp 12, no GPUs.
OK, are you running the open beta Fermi units? These WUs should be around 14k PPD or more per GTX465, is this estimation about right?
 
OK, are you running the open beta Fermi units? These WUs should be around 14k PPD or more per GTX465, is this estimation about right?
how do you get those? I'm only getting about 12k ppd on my GTX470s

Update on my SR2/dual quad/dual gtx470 rig running smp-15: it completed a 2686 no problem, averaging right at 75k ppd the whole time.

Then it downloaded a 6056 which threw a "fahcore_a3.exe has stopped working" within 30 minutes.

It kicked that WU and is now running a 2684, so we'll see how that goes.
 
OK, are you running the open beta Fermi units? These WUs should be around 14k PPD or more per GTX465, is this estimation about right?

I'm getting around 13k ppd overclocked.

Some observations this evening:
I took a look at Resource Monitor with SMP off and noticed that the GPUs are utilizing the real cores (0,2,4,6,8,10) while the HT cores (1,3,5,7,9,11) are parked. When running the GPUs in combination with -smp 11, all the cores are running at 100% except for cores 0 and 8, which are going from 80-90%.
I'll take a look at it some more in the morning 'cause I needs some sleep. It's been a loooong day.
 
enable -advmethods as a command line option
I did. Do you have a list of the high ppd advmethods WUs?

edit I also have forcegpu nvidia_fermi enabled, is that relevant?
 
Don't want to jack the thread but I do have some information that might be relevant.

My Gtx 480 has consistently produced 16-17k ppd since I got it over a month ago (850/2050 for folding).

Also running the smp2 client on my 1055t. It's a hex, but obviously not doing anything near what you 980x's are hitting on bigadv. HFM tells me I'm averaging about 8-9k ppd at 3.8ghz. Seems low to me. Anyone else folding on the Thubans?
 
I'm giving up on GPU folding on my -bigadv machines. It's just not worth it.
 
Yep.8 to 9k sounds about right for a 6700 unit (check the Wu project number). When you get a 6000 Wu I would expect you to be closer to 12k ppd.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I found today it was kinda worth running one 460 during some average standard units, and both 460's during a miserable 6702, but not worth it during a smoking hot standard.

Not on bigadv until they fix - smp 23, or release enough bigadv WU so that we never see a standard.
 
Don't want to jack the thread but I do have some information that might be relevant.

My Gtx 480 has consistently produced 16-17k ppd since I got it over a month ago (850/2050 for folding).

Also running the smp2 client on my 1055t. It's a hex, but obviously not doing anything near what you 980x's are hitting on bigadv. HFM tells me I'm averaging about 8-9k ppd at 3.8ghz. Seems low to me. Anyone else folding on the Thubans?

The 1055t I have is clocked at 3.2 ghz. This morning I ran off a few frames w/o the GTS 250 running and I was getting 7k ppd.
 
Also running the smp2 client on my 1055t. It's a hex, but obviously not doing anything near what you 980x's are hitting on bigadv. HFM tells me I'm averaging about 8-9k ppd at 3.8ghz. Seems low to me. Anyone else folding on the Thubans?
hm I fold on a thuban at 3.8,with slower work (6701 etc) it is around 7-8 k,6067 now is up at 11k,doesn´t get much more than that,and it doesn´t seem to infuence much running two gpu2-clients as well. smal disclaimer: still on ddr2-ram here,nb at 2.4 and not much beoynd that,ht 2000,kinda curious how it looks from a ddr3-ram perspective ?
 
HFM tells me I'm averaging about 8-9k ppd at 3.8ghz. Seems low to me. Anyone else folding on the Thubans?

I just got my 1055t a few days ago and haven't had time to mess with it, but at stock it is getting between 5-6k.
 
I found today it was kinda worth running one 460 during some average standard units, and both 460's during a miserable 6702, but not worth it during a smoking hot standard.
Then, what I would do if you're going to leave the card(s) installed is run the GPU client whenever you receive standard SMP WUs, and use the -oneunit flag when you finally get -bigadv. With possibly days between -bigadv WUs that many including myself have seen, that might prove an effective balancing strategy to keep high end boxen producing appreciable PPD.
 
Smp 15 still seems to be working great for me.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Smp 15 still seems to be working great for me.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

There seems to be something about smp 11, or one or both cpus at smp 11 on a dual hex. I think you will be fine with smp 15. Watch it closely on standard smp units though. That is where smp 11 seems to fail.
 
nope I wasn't fine with smp -15

two bigadv units, 2684 and 2686: 100% complete
two standard units: 0% complete

both standard units threw fahcore_a3.exe errors midway through.

I'm giving smp -14 a try now. It has a 6053 unit, so it will be a good test.

HFM says my average ppd on these is 42,700, but running smp-14 i'm seeing 39,500 ppd

If this holds up, it might be worth it. Might not.

Bottom line, until PG gets this crap straightened out, GPU folding and high end SMP folding don't mix well together.
 
Picked up my i7 Hex last night, and it will be GPU Folding with a 280 OC. Hope to finish the build tonight.

Just read through the thread some very interesting information. I'll try and help out with results from my build as well so we can figure this out!

 
Picked up my i7 Hex last night, and it will be GPU Folding with a 280 OC. Hope to finish the build tonight.

Just read through the thread some very interesting information. I'll try and help out with results from my build as well so we can figure this out!

hopefully, if you stick with the GPU2 client, your CPU usage won't suffer too much.

Either way, let us know how it goes
 
hopefully, if you stick with the GPU2 client, your CPU usage won't suffer too much.
There are new GPU2 WUs that are less productive than older units. There could be a trade of lower CPU utilization for lower production. It's becoming increasingly clear to me this isn't going to work out well.
 
There are new GPU2 WUs that are less productive than older units. There could be a trade of lower CPU utilization for lower production. It's becoming increasingly clear to me this isn't going to work out well.
I am coming to the same conclusion.

Makes me want to move my SR2 to my whs and my i7 to my gaming pc, but since whs is 32-bit only it is useless for bigadv
 
Download Vail. I'm running it with 3GB of RAM and doing bigadv on the machine. No probs.
 
I have one client running -bigadv on 32-bit XP no problem. What is Vail?
 
I guess I'm just a risk taker. I figure the odds of me losing the server and one of my systems at the same time is pretty remote.
 
Vail is the pre-release WHS built on Server 2008 r2. It's 64-bit versus current released WHS at 32-bit.
 
I have one client running -bigadv on 32-bit XP no problem. What is Vail?
My i7 finished probably 3 or 4 bigadv units in a row, but then would crash before uploading. Failed at 100% completion every time.

I can't explain it, but both Kendrak and I were able to duplicate similar behavior with WHS v1. He had 3gb ram and I had 4gb.
I guess I'm just a risk taker. I figure the odds of me losing the server and one of my systems at the same time is pretty remote.

I have like 2-3 TB of family pics and vids stored directly on my server. If I lose those files, you might never hear from me again :)
 
My i7 finished probably 3 or 4 bigadv units in a row, but then would crash before uploading. Failed at 100% completion every time.

I can't explain it, but both Kendrak and I were able to duplicate similar behavior with WHS v1. He had 3gb ram and I had 4gb. :)
The issue is with WHS. My XP machine only has 2GB of RAM and has been folding A3 -bigadv since it was released. I recommend 64-bit Win 7 if you want a recent OS and installed a lot of RAM.
 
Vail is the pre-release WHS built on Server 2008 r2. It's 64-bit versus current released WHS at 32-bit.

Unfortunately, Vail is gimped in that it's based on Server 2008 R2 Foundation. It will only support one CPU and 8GB of RAM. That's fine for a single hex box but useless for an SR-2. :(
 
I recommend 64-bit Win 7 if you want a recent OS and run a lot of RAM.
Thanks, I think I've heard of it :D

My current plan is just to stick to folding standard SMP on my WHS until Vail hits RTM. Then I have been planning to continue to use my current x58-ud5 in the WHS.

However, in light of the struggles to keep my GPUs and CPU playing nicely, I just might move the SR2 to the WHS and move my gaming rig back to the UD5.

The SR2 only has 8 sata ports though. I think I'm using at least 7 HDDs in my whs already. Maybe 8.

Also, my SR2 is naked, and it would be tough to dangle 8 hard drives off a naked boxen.

Why am I still typing, none of you care about my farm's growing pains :)
 
Unfortunately, Vail is gimped in that it's based on Server 2008 R2 Foundation. It will only support one CPU and 8GB of RAM. That's fine for a single hex box but useless for an SR-2. :(
oh snap, didn't realize that.

thanks for pointing it out
 
Unfortunately, Vail is gimped in that it's based on Server 2008 R2 Foundation. It will only support one CPU and 8GB of RAM. That's fine for a single hex box but useless for an SR-2. :(

Wow, didn't know that. But like you said it's just fine for a single hex cpu box.
 
I have like 2-3 TB of family pics and vids stored directly on my server. If I lose those files, you might never hear from me again :)

What I like about Vail is it allows you to setup a backup drive for the server that's seperate from your storage drive pool. I'm using a 1.5TB firewire drive to backup the server.
 
Back
Top