• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Single Hex + GPU folders - I need your help

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a second SR-2 for a home server, but it won't work. Now I think the WHS upgrade will be to my Phenom II GPU box hardware (eventually).
 
I'm thrilled so far with the Gigabyte UD5. I think it might be my file server for a veery long time.

Rock solid stable at 215blck (62% oc on a server lol) and loads of sata ports.
 
I don't understand why so much people are using WHS.
Tried it, didn't see anything feature worth the trouble, and it's a file server only, anything else you want to install might give you trouble (folding, anything device you connect, video playback, thirdparty backup apps, games obviously don't work). Windows 7 + flexraid + librairies is wayyy better. Plus it's compatible SR-2 ;) *wink *wink
 
I don't understand why so much people are using WHS.
Tried it, didn't see anything feature worth the trouble, and it's a file server only, anything else you want to install might give you trouble (folding, anything device you connect, video playback, thirdparty backup apps, games obviously don't work). Windows 7 + flexraid + librairies is wayyy better. Plus it's compatible SR-2 ;) *wink *wink
windows 7 + what and what? :)

WHS dumbs down the process for me, which is good. However, in light of the limitation, I might have to reconsider my options.

Update on topic:

I shut down my dual gtx470s yesterday to see what my ppd would be on a 2686. I'm getting 83k ppd. I got 75k ppd running smp-15 with the 470s.

However, the regular units crash at smp-15

For now, the GPUs stay off, the CPUs stay at smp-16
 
windows 7 + what and what?
Windows 7's library feature replaces WHS spanning files through disks:
D:movies
E:movies
will become a single folder in Librairies: Movies
Flexraid is a raid on top the OS which calculates parity of folders. So you all your static data will be safe with a single drive as backup.

So in other words it replaces WHS, a bit harder to setup, but you also save hard drive space.
 
Windows 7's library feature replaces WHS spanning files through disks:
D:movies
E:movies
will become a single folder in Librairies: Movies
Flexraid is a raid on top the OS which calculates parity of folders. So you all your static data will be safe with a single drive as backup.

So in other words it replaces WHS, a bit harder to setup, but you also save hard drive space.
cool. thanks for breaking it down.

so if I set up a windows 7 server, will the other PCs on the network also see the same spanned libraries?
 
cool. thanks for breaking it down.

so if I set up a windows 7 server, will the other PCs on the network also see the same spanned libraries?

if they are running windows 7 on the other PCs too you can create a single folder from your network.
\\HTPC/movies1
\\HTPC/movies2...
becomes library: Movies

Other OS will see separate folders thought, there might be a solution from this.
 
oh of course. I've noticed how win7 consolidates media folders into libraries that way.

Hmm.

I'm tempted, but I don't think I can pry myself away from WHS. The backup/restore features for each client PC is so easy and natural. I can't tell you how much time I've saved being able to do a full restore of my PCs from images saved on the WHS.
Plus, the remote access and website hosting is a breeze. Oh, and Vail has a slick setup for serving music, picture, and video streaming over the internet.
 
I've got a setup with my single L5640 and GTX 470 going right now that seems decent.

-smp 12 with priority set to low on the SMP client and idle on the GPU client. It currently has less than a minute effect on TPF of a 2684 WU (losing a little less than 1k PPD) and the GPU client is utilizing about 45% of the GPU, putting out about 6500 PPD. So about 5700 more PPD overall and only draws about 80W more than SMP by itself.
 
interesting parja.

so you lost significant gpu production, but you're claiming significant power savings.
 
Still...80W for 6K ppd (75 ppd/W) is not very efficient in the grand scheme of things. I guess it isn't bad, but I still wouldn't run it myself.
 
Still...80W for 6K ppd (75 ppd/W) is not very efficient in the grand scheme of things. I guess it isn't bad, but I still wouldn't run it myself.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's something. If it was anything less than a 470, I might not even bother. And it's getting into heating season now, so I'm less worried about the power consumption.
 
I've got a setup with my single L5640 and GTX 470 going right now that seems decent.

-smp 12 with priority set to low on the SMP client and idle on the GPU client. It currently has less than a minute effect on TPF of a 2684 WU (losing a little less than 1k PPD) and the GPU client is utilizing about 45% of the GPU, putting out about 6500 PPD. So about 5700 more PPD overall and only draws about 80W more than SMP by itself.

I like how this is working. When I get a non-bigadv unit, my GPU utilization comes up, raising the GPU PPD. That makes up for the loss of SMP PPD quite nicely.

Got a 6701 on the SMP client right now putting out 13.7k. GPU client is using about 85% of the GPU, putting out 12.3k. So 26k total with a 6701...could be worse.
 
13.5k sounds awfully low. I am getting 25.6k on my 3.85ghz L5640 right now on a 6072. I forget what I get on 67xx units, but I can't reacall it going that low.

I'm running GPU2 on a 9800gt on WHS.
 
13.5k sounds awfully low. I am getting 25.6k on my 3.85ghz L5640 right now on a 6072. I forget what I get on 67xx units, but I can't reacall it going that low.

I'm running GPU2 on a 9800gt on WHS.

I get low-mid 20ks on 60XX units, so fairly comparable. The 67XX units have just horribly low PPD.
 
Back
Top