simple steel hole drilling question

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Hello,

I am trying to fix my old xbox360 (xenon - has managed to not have any errors until recently, when it started freezing in some games).

So, as a part of a rather twisted rrod xclamp fix, I noticed it wanted me to drill some holes in my xbox360's metal case. I think it's either steel or aluminum.

Can I use a normal power-drill's (wood-drilling?) bit to drill a hole in this case?

Thank you very much!

-Jeremy

Only if it's thin metal or aluminum. Wood bits are not made for metal, the flutes and point are different as well as the hardness. You will probably ruin the bit going through metal.They should go through plastics well.

Are aluminum-drilling bits avalible? The kinds that drill through aluminum? And can I find them at a local hardware shop (only Home Depot, and a further out Lowes, for me)...?

I am drilling through a very thin xbox360 case. This is the internal, metal case that hides inside the plastic exteriour. I think it's aluminum or some kind of steel. Though I am leaning towards aluminum.

Thank you very much!

Yes, Lowes and most hardware stores sell them individually. A regular metal bit will work. You can get them for soft metals but they have a different flute made for rapid metal shaving removal and will only be good for softer materials. In your case, it should work fine. Make it easy on yourself and pre punch the hole you want to drill so the bit won't walk all over with you.

Yes, Lowes and most hardware stores sell them individually. A regular metal bit will work. You can get them for soft metals but they have a different flute made for rapid metal shaving removal and will only be good for softer materials. In your case, it should work fine. Make it easy on yourself and pre punch the hole you want to drill so the bit won't walk all over with you.
Thank you very, very, very much!! :)
Hee Hee. I am expanding existing holes to a larger size :D :D (specifically the 8 holes in the chasis under the CPU's and GPU's HSF mounting holes).

Thank you very, very, very much!! :)
Hee Hee. I am expanding existing holes to a larger size :D :D (specifically the 8 holes in the chasis under the CPU's and GPU's HSF mounting holes).

Be careful as you go through the metal as it will grab and try to yank the drill out of your hands. Start with a high speed and slowly go through, letting the bit do the work, don't force it.

FYI - the main difference in the bits is the rake on the cutting edge. Bits made for softer more gummy metals such as copper or aluminum will have a steeper angle which causes more a scrapping than digging action. Also allows for a larger contact area with the work which transfers heat across the bit more readily. The metal chips should never be discolored. Much less blue :eek:

Also - proper lubrication is essential. Even when drilling thin sheet metal a small drop of oil can be a great benefit.

Be careful as you go through the metal as it will grab and try to yank the drill out of your hands. Start with a high speed and slowly go through, letting the bit do the work, don't force it.

FYI - the main difference in the bits is the rake on the cutting edge. Bits made for softer more gummy metals such as copper or aluminum will have a steeper angle which causes more a scrapping than digging action. Also allows for a larger contact area with the work which transfers heat across the bit more readily. The metal chips should never be discolored. Much less blue :eek:

Also - proper lubrication is essential. Even when drilling thin sheet metal a small drop of oil can be a great benefit.

Ohh my, I feel outclassed... :(

Thank you both very much! I slowly let the bit do it's work on the outer 4 holes, while I kinda punched through on the middle 4 (merged into two ovals); because I punched through the middle two, they became a mess, and I had to clean them up for about 10min. I am using some 7/16th drill bit, and the holes drilled are the ones at the tips of the two "X" shapes.

Thank you! [Final result - I am sorry, no before pics]

Back