Silverstone TJ09!

Just look at what you guys made me do . . .

I've had so many boxes delivered in the last month, it's gotten so bad that I have to keep it in the garage for now so The Boss doesn't realize there's yet another new toy in the house.

Will put some more pics up when I get to put some things in it.

TJ09BW - black w/ window:
TJ09boxes.jpg

This may not go over well with everyone in this thread . . . but I'm actually RETURNING the TJ09BW back to the store I bought it from.

It's like one of those situations where your buddy tells you that you HAVE to go see so-and-so movie and builds it up so much that, no matter how good it really is, it cannot possibly live up to your expectations.

Well, after reading through almost all of this thread, my expectations of this case were perhaps unrealistically high.

When I unpacked it, I was impressed by the good looks of the case. But then I noticed a little creaking/rattling because the windowed side of the case didn't seem to fit very securely. When I took off the side panels to examine the case, I was really surprised by how thin and flimsy the panels were. The front of the case is beautiful and sturdy - but I couldn't get over how flimsy the sides were!!! I'm sure they did it for weight considerations, but it makes the case seem weak and, dare I say, cheap - even though it clearly is not.

Anyhow, I wasn't floored by this case - especially for the $281.xx I paid for it. So it's going back and I'll be keeping the Lian-Li v1000 Plus II that is/was going for $129.99 at MicroCenter.

Kinda sad b/c I was really looking forward to moving to the TJ09!

This may not go over well with everyone in this thread . . . but I'm actually RETURNING the TJ09BW back to the store I bought it from.

It's like one of those situations where your buddy tells you that you HAVE to go see so-and-so movie and builds it up so much that, no matter how good it really is, it cannot possibly live up to your expectations.

Well, after reading through almost all of this thread, my expectations of this case were perhaps unrealistically high.

When I unpacked it, I was impressed by the good looks of the case. But then I noticed a little creaking/rattling because the windowed side of the case didn't seem to fit very securely. When I took off the side panels to examine the case, I was really surprised by how thin and flimsy the panels were. The front of the case is beautiful and sturdy - but I couldn't get over how flimsy the sides were!!! I'm sure they did it for weight considerations, but it makes the case seem weak and, dare I say, cheap - even though it clearly is not.

Anyhow, I wasn't floored by this case - especially for the $281.xx I paid for it. So it's going back and I'll be keeping the Lian-Li v1000 Plus II that is/was going for $129.99 at MicroCenter.

To each his own! I understand how you feel....I always thought my TJ09 looked cutting edge, but I have received more than one comment on how "blocky" it looks. I don't think so, but, again, to each his own.

How did you install the 3x120 radiator? Did you custom make the radiator support? or did you buy one and then just mount it?

If you bought it, what did you buy?

It looks pretty sweet!!

it's a trippy case for sure... it's huge yet lacks space for wc modding and such.. it's beatutiful when built clean, but tough to hide wires well.. mine rattled a lot until I secured all the fan guard mesh.. it still rattles from time to time and I need to press on the sides and top... these things have almost driven me to switch out the case for another, but until the cosmos came along there wasn't one I would jump ship for.. now I am torn because I finally got my TJ09 dialed in.. anyways..next time I need to pull or upgrade the mobo I am swapping my work/util rig into the TJ09 and getting a cosmos for the gaming rig. :)

i mooded the top of the case, and made my self the support of the rad.
I was hoping for an easier solution :)

I've been looking at WC to reduce my CPU & GPU Temps. Honestly, I prefer a stealthier solution. I'm not a big fan of having a big ass radiator hanging off the back of my box, nor am I fan of of huge radiator above the top. Yes I know I should have considered a different box if I was considering WC, but I didn't think I was going to WC because AC was the way to go. I can get 3.6 out of my Q6600. At the time of the build, people weren't getting past 3.2 with AC. With the Tuniq 120, I can get there, but temps are a little high. With my GPU OC'd as well, heat is now my main concern. I can put the fans on high, but DAMN is it loud.

Revenant . . . I see you're in Bay Area also . . . I'm in San Jose by Silver Creek and am still intrigued by the case.

If you decide to move it . . . let me know! :)

I was hoping for an easier solution :)

I've been looking at WC to reduce my CPU & GPU Temps. Honestly, I prefer a stealthier solution. I'm not a big fan of having a big ass radiator hanging off the back of my box, nor am I fan of of huge radiator above the top. Yes I know I should have considered a different box if I was considering WC, but I didn't think I was going to WC because AC was the way to go. I can get 3.6 out of my Q6600. At the time of the build, people weren't getting past 3.2 with AC. With the Tuniq 120, I can get there, but temps are a little high. With my GPU OC'd as well, heat is now my main concern. I can put the fans on high, but DAMN is it loud.

Swiftech Quiet Power rads will fit in the top mount with very little modification. A MCR220 will fit well within the fan mesh area, while a MCR320 will overhang a little bit -- but it won't be a problem for the rad or the case.

I posted a WC in TJ-09 thread about a month ago on the Watercooling forum, where you can see examples of what I described above. I'm just now finishing the setup. At the moment I went with a rad-box, but I plan to eventually mount the rad on top when I upgrade the motherboard in a few months.

The TJ-09 isn't the best for water cooling, but it's by no means impossible. The amount of cutting you would need to do is negligable -- really only a small section of aluminum bar separating the two fan mounts.

Nice post.

I've update my machine.

After 2 months sitting in the garage, my SLI e8400 rig is alive!

Vista installed installing some drivers now.

Of course the 1st drivers I installed were the 8800GT's ones.
Ya know to get rid of that jet plane taking off effect in my living room.

UPDATE TIME

Full gallery for piclens lovers:
Click on the slideshow!

Just got done installing AoE and playing on it.
Enabling the SLI bar for AoE is not that great but it's still sex!
Check out the pic at the end.

So on Dec 18th I had 4 8800GT(s)!
I traded my XFX one for a unlocked quad core.
Put the EVGA 650 one in my matx rig see the other post.
And put the SLI 700mhz ones in my main gaming rig sitting under my desk.

Here are the cards.

Fast forward a month to Jan 31!
I had all the parts in and decided to lay it all out for you to see:

The Motherboard unboxing:

Prepping the chassis:

Time to mount the CPU and HSF:

Stuffing everything in the case:

The final night time product:

So I am in a happy place in terms of rigs.
I just need to rebuild, yet again, my work rig, and add stuff to my server rig. Some other weekends I guess.

Mods that I did, reversed the HDD cages.
Added new window panel with Nvidia Green LED fan.

Here's a bonus for all of you who did not see my matx yet:

Click here for no Rick Roll.

Hi, JonDoms
Nice rig you got there, just one question How did you make the 8 volt extension cable. I tried too find one in store, but as I see in your picture you do it one yourself.

Thanks

i have a little update.
OCZ xtc memory cooler.
intel Q9450
Dfi LanParty LT X48 t2r
Swiftech MCW30
Pcpower and cooling silencer 750w(but died this morning, i send to rma or buy a corsair 750w :9 )

ordered a litle my cable magnament. and put in the front a harcano 13, and shythe kaze master.

my system is due for a couple of upgrades...mainly aesthetic...here are a couple of things im debating.
should i get the lian li universal drive covers? looks like this
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/amichalski00/dvd_door067.jpg
they look really nice...
im trying to find a good fan controller that isnt too expensive...anyone know which one this is? i cant figure it out
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/jacktherussell/IMG_2010.jpg
im debating between that and this
http://www.akasa.com.tw/akasa_english/spec_page/control_panels/spec_ak_fc_03.htm

i'm thinking about changing my lighting from blue to white. would look kinda like this
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w148/Darkatom/Picture115.jpg
(thanks darkatom)
or get uv reactive coolant and uv lighting
just want something different from everyone else you know?

i'll definitely be painting my motherboard tray black to match the outside of the case.

finally, im definitely going liquid cooling. only thing is, should i do it now or wait? im getting the nehalem chip for sure....but its a different socket....sooo what should i do? you think d-tek will release a new mounting system for the new socket or what?

here are pics for reference

alright cool thanks.
btw, can you not buy akasa products in the US or something?

i guess i wont be getting the drive covers. what do you think about my liquid cooling situation? the nehalem chip has a bigger surface area than the current 775 chips. i mean, if i upgrade am i going to have to upgrade the water block or will a new mounting system be released?

Alright pics!

Workplace

Masking the mobo tray

Applied primer

Painted half of it
More pics of mobo tray later….
While that was drying….i finally finished lapping my TRUE

Has the reflectiveness now….

Is this case not popular anymore?

I can't believe I spent $300 on this case last year ><

I still think this case is sheer awesomeness. Silverstone has rad mounts for this case now which should make things easier for water cooling. If i can afford to spend $260 on a case, it would be this one. It would be interesting to see some one mod an Antec Big Boy 200mm fan into the intake duct ;)

I think the TJ09s look pretty badass... but a wee bit too pricy. Even more so when I've heard the build quality isn't as good as a Lian Li.

i have a question.
i want to replace the grill on the top because when it gets dust, im having trouble cleaning it out. i was thinking about getting an A.C.Ryan radgrill but i have no idea how to even install it. am i supposed to just drill it into the case? if so, how do i even take the original grill out?

i have a question.
i want to replace the grill on the top because when it gets dust, im having trouble cleaning it out. i was thinking about getting an A.C.Ryan radgrill but i have no idea how to even install it. am i supposed to just drill it into the case? if so, how do i even take the original grill out?

Dremel?

This is a case that IMO, looks better in pictures.

I got my TJ09 in today, and the side panels, 1mm aluminum, rattle like crazy and even warp under their own weight.

Colour me unimpressed.

I'll re-inforce them with some dynamat and acrylic I guess, but still. For a 300$ case... Blegh.

It's pretty awesome looking though, everything else included

Yeah but the weight of this case is ridiculousness for its size i can easily hold it on one finger or let i hang my bad.

But yes i have the problem with the sides being flimsy even on my tj-03 which is crazy stupid.

I got my TJ09 in today, and the side panels, 1mm aluminum, rattle like crazy and even warp under their own weight.

Colour me unimpressed.

I'll re-inforce them with some dynamat and acrylic I guess, but still. For a 300$ case... Blegh.

Wow, that sucks... good to know before I drop some green on this.

I really, really like this case. I like how 'plain' the case is, and how sharp cut it is - if you understand.

The only thing keeping me from owning it is the damn side scoops. Some days I look and think I'd get used to them, others... well, you get it.

Being a big fan of the old CM ATC cases, I'll probably hold out and see what they do in the next few months.

Colour me unimpressed.

This was precisely my first impression of this case. The 5mm panels of Lian-Li's, Zalmans and etc. are much more impressive . . . BUT, if you can get over the more flimsy Silverstone side panels, the case is definitely a winner.

I've tried over the last year to replace my TJ09-BW with a couple of Lian-Li's, a Zalman and a couple others - but each time, the Silverstone won out because it is still the best case I've ever owned in terms for form and function.

When I am fully satisfied with my recent i7 upgrade, I'll post new photos.

I love my TJ09 very much...

img0426pr9.jpg

Wow, those are some really good, sharp pictures. What camera/lens did you use to take the photos?

I spent a nice little bundle on a Canon 50D and haven't taken any photos that look that nice yet because, well, I hardly know my way around that damned thing yet.

Back