Silverstone ST45SF power a 2500k and HD6950?

Zyklon808

Gawd
The little guy does have the plugs for the 6950, however would it be to much to ask from the psu to run a mitx/matx h67 board, i5 2500k and a HD 6950? No overclocking.

Thanks!

75w idle and 150w stressed on the 2500k
170w on the 6950 under load
70w for the board under load
assume optical drive: 7w idle, 15w under use/ea
assume mechnical drive: 7w idle, 15W under use/ea
assume ssd: 1w idle, 5w max under use/ea

so... with a cpu, board, gpu, and 1 of each drive type:
150+170+70+15+15+5 = 425

keep in mind you'll need to consider what you amperage is on each rail as over PSU rating is usually the maximum amount of V*A for all rails, which is never sustainable, and in many cases, impossible.

The little guy does have the plugs for the 6950, however would it be to much to ask from the psu to run a mitx/matx h67 board, i5 2500k and a HD 6950? No overclocking.

Thanks!

75w idle and 150w stressed on the 2500k
170w on the 6950 under load
70w for the board under load
assume optical drive: 7w idle, 15w under use/ea
assume mechnical drive: 7w idle, 15W under use/ea
assume ssd: 1w idle, 5w max under use/ea

so... with a cpu, board, gpu, and 1 of each drive type:
150+170+70+15+15+5 = 425

keep in mind you'll need to consider what you amperage is on each rail as over PSU rating is usually the maximum amount of V*A for all rails, which is never sustainable, and in many cases, impossible.

I don't think the 2500k draws that much power. I have a 2600 at stock speeds running WCG and I pull about 100W from the wall including board, ram, cpu and a laptop hard drive.

OP, you will be fine in terms of wattage. However, there is an issue with the ST45SF and chirping/stuttering once you break the 300W barrier.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1569264

My ST45SF powers an i7 860 and a gtx 560 and I was receiving the above issue when I had my 860 overclocked. Dropping it to stock speeds removed the chirping noise.

google "extreme psu calculator" and use the free version.

also, as noted, the silverstone 450w sfx psu is a bit of a crapshoot (there have been quite a few noted issues)

Thanks!

On the product page of Silverstone ST45SF, it says recommended maximum video card you should use is GTX 470. I suppose it should work but I wouldn't be comfortable.

yeah it should be fine. the psu is complete crap, but the best of the microatx psu sadly. I have an i5 750 and gtx 570, they run fine at stock, but overclocking is pretty much a no go

dont try it, i had the 450w psu blow up on me, lucky it dint take my components, but definitely not worth the risk, just go for the sg07, or if you are dead set on an sg05 mod it to fit a full atx psu

Well, I was asking because I ran this off the 450 in a Sg05:

Xeon 3440 oc to 3.06
5870 ATI 1gb card
120gb SSD
No optical,
Corsair H50.

I had no problems. I find those PSU calculators iffy at best.

Thanks for the numbers! I plan on running a Q6600/9800GTX until my gear comes in.
I will be using a MITX motherboard as well.

I plan on dropping this into a FT03 case. I like the 450watt because it's small and a trooper on my earlier builds.

dont try it, i had the 450w psu blow up on me, lucky it dint take my components, but definitely not worth the risk, just go for the sg07, or if you are dead set on an sg05 mod it to fit a full atx psu

yeah it should be fine. the psu is complete crap, but the best of the microatx psu sadly. I have an i5 750 and gtx 570, they run fine at stock, but overclocking is pretty much a no go

the silverstone 450w sfx psu is a bit of a crapshoot (there have been quite a few noted issues)

Hi guys, please contact our SilverStone support at [email protected] with your problems and if possible with your configuration with as much detail as you can. I just inquired with our support staff here in Taiwan and he has not heard of any complaints on ST45SF in a couple of months. If more people report, then they will have more data to work with and hopefully help you guys out.

Statistically speaking, the ST45SF has been a very good PSU for us in terms of low return rate. Since its introduction in the middle of 2010, its RMA rate is well below one percent.

I also want to reiterate that ST45SF is a 450W power supply and although it has peak capacity to exceed its rating, it's not recommended for use with systems capable of drawing over 450W (GTX 480, 580, Radeon HD 6970, etc…). We have a recommended list here for reference:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/PSU/GPU-supportlist.pdf

As for electrical noises, please keep in mind that these noises are ever present in all PSUs and can change according to different hardware/software combination. The same noise can also be perceived differently by different users. Even the quietest PSUs that appear to produce no noise under most conditions can be clearly heard by a trained tester with his ear pressed against the PSU while running certain graphics card/software. We have a baseline noise level that we consider acceptable for retail power supply release, and of course ST45SF has meet the requirement. So it’s possible that some of you perceive the noise to be unacceptable while it is within our standard or the components combination you guys used have produced noise beyond what we have came up with during our worst case scenario testing.

Hi guys, please contact our SilverStone support at [email protected] with your problems and if possible with your configuration with as much detail as you can. I just inquired with our support staff here in Taiwan and he has not heard of any complaints on ST45SF in a couple of months. If more people report, then they will have more data to work with and hopefully help you guys out.

Statistically speaking, the ST45SF has been a very good PSU for us in terms of low return rate. Since its introduction in the middle of 2010, its RMA rate is well below one percent.

I also want to reiterate that ST45SF is a 450W power supply and although it has peak capacity to exceed its rating, it's not recommended for use with systems capable of drawing over 450W (GTX 480, 580, Radeon HD 6970, etc…). We have a recommended list here for reference:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/PSU/GPU-supportlist.pdf

As for electrical noises, please keep in mind that these noises are ever present in all PSUs and can change according to different hardware/software combination. The same noise can also be perceived differently by different users. Even the quietest PSUs that appear to produce no noise under most conditions can be clearly heard by a trained tester with his ear pressed against the PSU while running certain graphics card/software. We have a baseline noise level that we consider acceptable for retail power supply release, and of course ST45SF has meet the requirement. So it’s possible that some of you perceive the noise to be unacceptable while it is within our standard or the components combination you guys used have produced noise beyond what we have came up with during our worst case scenario testing.

I'm gonna buzzsaw some questions out there: What CPU was used in testing in conjunction with said GPUs? (GTX470 - HD6950 as top single card setups). How was the load testing performed? Were the power caps/current monitors (and limiters) on the test GTX580 and HD6970 modified in any way?

I'm gonna buzzsaw some questions out there: What CPU was used in testing in conjunction with said GPUs? (GTX470 - HD6950 as top single card setups). How was the load testing performed? Were the power caps/current monitors (and limiters) on the test GTX580 and HD6970 modified in any way?

Without divulging too much detail on our testing methods (part of our trade secrets), I can tell you that test CPUs used are 130W varieties with GPU limiters (if there are any) removed. Programs that draw the most power are usually not the ones that produced most electrical noises so we run multiple applications as part of our testing suite.

Since we are unable to test all CPU/GPU combinations on the market, we also cross reference manufacturers’ and major review websites’ power consumption data with our own test results to produce our recommended list.

Just threw this PSU at an i5-2500k OC'd to 4.6 and made the squealing. RMA'ing it to Newegg this week, hopefully I can get a good working one. Was using a stock 560 Ti with it.

thats a shame... we need a high quality sfx form factor psu... the st45sf should work all right for an h67 board with onboard gfx though.

Should be enough for any sandy bridge with up to a 560ti, maybe a 570 at stock speedss

It'll work. I was using that psu with my new setup (see sig) until I grabbed my Seasonic. Everything was still stock and I never had a chirp, whine, or squeal from the unit.

But you were running everything stock, did you overclock it at all and run Prime? it only squealed during Prime95, but I figure once I started throwing games that pegged both the proc and the gfx then it would show again.

Should be enough for any sandy bridge with up to a 560ti, maybe a 570 at stock speedss

My setup was squealing, ticking, and chirping with a stock GTX570 and a undervolted X3440 with HT disabled (to lower power draw even further).

Well as the man said you guys should probably be complaining to Silverstone too. They might blow you off at first, but if enough people do it, then they might see there's a problem and fix the design if possible.

gave up after reading the "crap" thread on [H] and OCN. just gonna be a good silverstone customer and never buy one of their PSUs again. Just stick to what comes with the case. And also avoiding the 450W case variant.

But you were running everything stock, did you overclock it at all and run Prime? it only squealed during Prime95, but I figure once I started throwing games that pegged both the proc and the gfx then it would show again.

Negative. I was never really happy with the unit. I only used it cause it had more headroom than the 300w that came with my sugo5. My first ST45SF died after ~10 minutes of BFBC2. It wasn't the worst power supply I ever used, but it wasn't exactly the best either. I only said I had no issues with this setup at stock clocks cause the op said there wouldn't be any overclocking involved. I may plug it back in and play around later just to see if I have the audible problems others have had, but right now I'm happily using my X750 which is dead silent :)

Yeah, I was originally thinking I would get a second one to try, I have decided that I don't want to wait, and I'll be replacing it with a Seasonic SS-560KM.

Back