Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

Yeah I know I need to compensate for the efficiency of the psu. It definitely sounded like it was coming from the psu but I guess I will find out for sure now that that 5870 is dead and I have a 280 X on the way. Also thanks for the link to what Tony ou said. It never seemed to have any negative effect so I just didn't worry about it. Only happened at Ladd anyway. Think they would still give me a new psu of I asked? I bought it used like 4 years ago. :p

Last edited:
This came out of left field, didn't it? Interesting intermediate size between standard SFX and SFX-L. I like the move to a 92mm fan, and the wattage is impressive. The only thing that kind of sucks is the cross-wise AC inlet orientation, which makes both left-angle and right-angle connectors a questionable proposition, at least in the M1. I wonder if Enhance is the OEM for this as well? I'm not aware of any others companies doing high wattage SFX. I'm a little surprised at this alternate form factor though - that makes three different housings I've seen for Enhance SFX units now: the one for the ST45SF-G (and apparently the 600W as well); the one shown on Enhance's site, with the central 80mm fan; and this new Dirac. I'm curious if Silverstone has plans to adopt this model into their lineup as well.

I like how you butchered my username :p

Not produced by Enhance.

I want to implicitly trust what you say, but if not Enhance, then who?
To clarify, they deny it's theirs. As to who the OEM might be - your guess is as good as mine. FSP was the only other company doing SFX over 400W (the ST45SF and Be Quiet units). Seasonic has repeatedly expressed their disinterest in developing the form factor beyond the 350W unit they sell. There are some off-brand "500W" SFX (or "micro ATX") PSUs with substandard 12v rails, but this Dirac unit doesn't seem to be of that variety. So I don't know. It looks a hell of a lot like an enhance unit, just from the specs, labeling and housing. But as of right now it's a bit of a mystery.

But as of right now it's a bit of a mystery.

Right. Here's my guess.

It is an Enhance, but Enhance don't know it. Silverstone had to recall their production of the SX600-G because of the "issue with the Titan Z". So they had 10000 spare PSUs to move. Dirac suggested to take them off their hands, rehouse them and put a bigger fan and coloured modular sockets. This is the reason it's not on the 80Plus website and why it doesn't have a UL number, and why Tony Ou would post about a "competitor" product in the same post as saying their own release is delayed.

:D

Dirac suggested to take them off their hands, rehouse them and put a bigger fan and coloured modular sockets
Easy way to check this would be if the PCB is too short for the casing. Doesn't look like anyone's uncased one yet.

Easy way to check this would be if the PCB is too short for the casing. Doesn't look like anyone's uncased one yet.

If you look at the pics on their website, particularly at the exhaust grille, it looks like the majority of that added length has been dedicated to allowing the inlet/line filter/pcb to get mounted transverse, up against the grille:

Rather than straight out from the inlet along the "top"/fan-side, like you'd see on the ST45SF-G:

Which is a necessity for putting in a bigger fan.

Good point Geoffrey :)

I put the line filter from my ST45SF-G in a separate box, away from the PSU, for exactly that reason.

ll23-mystery-11_zpscd575cc1.jpg

Right. Here's my guess.

It is an Enhance, but Enhance don't know it. Silverstone had to recall their production of the SX600-G because of the "issue with the Titan Z". So they had 10000 spare PSUs to move. Dirac suggested to take them off their hands, rehouse them and put a bigger fan and coloured modular sockets. This is the reason it's not on the 80Plus website and why it doesn't have a UL number, and why Tony Ou would post about a "competitor" product in the same post as saying their own release is delayed.

:D

That's a good one!

Enhance admitted that the Dirac units were theirs this week, but apparently there is a middleman involved as Dirac did not purchase these directly from them. Selling PC power supplies in Japan does not require any safety certifications so my guess is that we may see more of these pop up in a few months.

We are happy to see more brands selling SFX, but not as happy when it's our partner taking our design and "slightly" modifies them for others. Dirac is also one of our distributors in the Japanese market too.

I liked my story better, that way Dirac was helping Silverstone instead of going behind your backs. :(

All it takes is one PSU to burn down a house to reach the media ;) ;)

The deputy fire marshall was quoted, saying "That little bugger had 650 watts and no UL certification! Why on God's green earth did this fella import a grey-market PSU, when obviously his rig would've been perfectly fine with 450W?"

:p

Like AFD said, don't blow money on a PSU just to amuse us. The interest is mostly curiosity anyway since importing one will be prohibitively expensive for most people.

Thanks AFD and Aibohphobia. Now we know thanks to Tony that Dirac's Tesla Cube series are just a rebadged SX600-G or with slight modifications, so I guess I just let this go.

Meanwhile it seems that SX600-G will be available starting July 17 in my country, the same day Dirac announced their Tesla Cubes would be available on. In my country there are at least two distributors of Silverstone products that I know of, one is Dirac and the other is a company called Mustardseed, and the announcement of SX600-G's availability comes from Mustardseed. Interesting.

Are there Japanese PSU reviewers like JonnyGuru? If so, we could just wait for one of them to disassemble their review unit.

Unfortunately none that I know of. There are some professional and semi-professional reviews in Japanese for CPU, GPU, CPU/GPU coolers, and cases, but I have never encountered such reviews for PSUs. Most desktop PC enthusiasts in my country, if they actually care about the quality of a given PSU, just refer to Jonnyguru, TPU, Hardwaresecrets, and Chiphell and discuss on forums.

Oh wow, you passed up an opportunity to own an M1 to wait for my design?! :eek: Guess the pressure's on to deliver then :D

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the freelance engineer, hopefully within the next few days.

I'm in love with your design and your philosophy that I can read thru your posts in that thread :)
Also, I already own plenty of ITX cases that I'm more or less content with and I want a mATX case...I've been using TJ08T-E and kinda wanted to switch to SG09/10 at some point for even more compactness, but it was a bit too wide.

The deputy fire marshall was quoted, saying "That little bugger had 650 watts and no UL certification! Why on God's green earth did this fella import a grey-market PSU, when obviously his rig would've been perfectly fine with 450W?"

:p

Hahaha

never saw your thread before Aibohphobia. used to be a regular in the sff case area, but been busy lately. cant wait to see your final product!

those damn white stickers looks so ugly on the SG05! :mad:

Sorry, one of those white stickers is for warranty void to prevent people from opening up the PSU. In the SG05, you can flip the PSU so that the fan side is facing down which should hide these stickers (then you would need to make sure the CPU cooler mounted underneath is not fighting for airflow with PSU fan).

Sorry, one of those white stickers is for warranty void to prevent people from opening up the PSU.

They do look really nasty. In the future, maybe consider spending a few extra cents and just print the labels in all black with fine white lettering (to match the main label, which actually looks nice and proper).

Dumb question I suppose, but does the warranty remain intact if you place another sticker over the label.. or use a marker to black it out? And it's just that one "void if removed" sticker that must remain for warranty.. the rest can be safely removed?

Guess it might be possible to cut a black vinyl overlay, or something similar that could be removed without pulling up or damaging the label.. would probably still look kinda dumb.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd. Who's ever going to look into your htpc with no window anyways?

Man, you guys are a tough crowd. Who's ever going to look into your htpc with no window anyways?

Just me when I clean it or change something.. slightly OCD, I suppose ;)

Though during the few months I left my case panel-less (partly laziness, mostly just enjoying the view), the stupid white stickers on the PSU stuck out like a sore thumb and detracted from the experience :D

You've never heard of modding? Or people use this PSU in something other than a HTPC? :p

The owner of this case certainly doesn't want the stickers either :cool:

LL

I tend to remove stickers after warranty. Not obsessive but sometimes I think "hmm how would this look without an ugly label ?". Live fast, die hard, peel labels :D

Well It might still be quite noisy soo might have to change the fan anyway, although I would like to go with the 500W LG if it can be shoved in the NCASE

Geez, very tough crowd. They're just stickers, people.

Are you one of those crazies that leave their "feature" stickers on their laptop and TV bezels? :p

nl2LgX4.jpg

I'm always surprised when people do weird shit like that.. leaving the temporary spec stickers on, and even leaving the throw-away clear protective overlay film on their electronics.

The stickers look terrible, so I don't think this qualifies as OCD. Would it show at all through vent holes on something like the NCASE do you think? I will get my sharpie ready.

Yes, it will show. I have my ST45SF-G with fan facing outward, and even with the Demci filter covering most of it, you can still see a stupid white sticker through the vent holes.

EDIT: I also have a similar issue with the label on my 3.5" drive on the reverse side. No idea how to cover that one up.

Are you one of those crazies that leave their "feature" stickers on their laptop and TV bezels? :p

I'm always surprised when people do weird shit like that.. leaving the temporary spec stickers on, and even leaving the throw-away clear protective overlay film on their electronics.

Hahahaha, nah I'm not one of those people. I take the plastic film off electronics as well :p

I'll admit though, the number of stickers does seem over the top. Two "V1.0" stickers seem unnecessary (and V1.0 could surely be integrated into the main label), as do the multiple barcodes. But what do I know *shrug*. Certainly won't stop me from buying one.

WiSK, what do you use to remove them?

Back