SilverStone SG07 - New Mini-itx case

Since the fan is an AP design, I would not worry about it not being next to the heat sink. Even a few inches away it should still have plenty of static pressure. I have seen people use an AXP-140 RT with no fan and are still able to OC.

Since the fan is an AP design, I would not worry about it not being next to the heat sink. Even a few inches away it should still have plenty of static pressure. I have seen people use an AXP-140 RT with no fan and are still able to OC.

If you were refering to my last post, please check the posts made before that (on page 32) my case will be without the 180mm AP-fan. (and also the original cover will be replaced)

More like this :) :)

1972-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-red-blower-sy-1280x960.jpg

Seems like a waste but I'm sure it will look like it does 200MPH even when standing still. ;)

Did you even read the posts i mentioned and took a look at the pictures? The goal is to have the cpu-cooler extend out of the case just as far as the gpu-cooler does.

Like this
Foto-VHJHV74E.jpg

Yeah, I read your post. You are thinking of it. Like I said, seems a waste but if it makes you happy, then great. You will need to account for the restricted airflow depending on what covering, if any you decide to use. Dust build up may be an issue too.

make sure the power connectors for the 6950 are on top and not on the ends.

Long time lurker (I found the thread on the Silverstone FT-02 especially informative and greatly aided my pre-purchase research) and first time poster. I am contemplating a secondary rig and am looking forward to building my first SFF rig. I am thinking of the following components:

i5 2500k
ASUS P8H61-I
Thermalright AXP-140
4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
120GB SSD
1TB HDD

Although I have done the best I could to skim through the preceding posts in the thread, I was hoping that you all might be able to answer a few additional questions:

1) I was planning on using an EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked as my gfx card. I don't think there will be any problems but wanted to double-check.

2) After reading the positive reviews of the AXP-140 I decided to use this as my heatsink instead of the stock Intel cooler. I wasn't planning on doing any serious OC'ing (not surprising) but thought it would help with overall thermals (which I thought might be beneficial given my inclusion of the 570). I was wondering, however, whether an aftermarket cooler would be necessary if I'm not planning on doing any serious OC'ing.

3) Assuming I am using the AXP-140, I am slightly concerned that there is not enough room between the CPU socket and the PCI-E slot such that the heatsink and the gfx card would not properly fit. Although I saw the work-around for using the AXP-140 and a IDE HDD -- using a 120mm fan instead of the default 140mm, I think -- I couldn't find anything that spoke to potential space conflicts between the AXP-140 and gfx cards.

I would appreciate any information you all might be able to provide. Moreover, any other comments, thoughts or advice, on subjects not directly implicated by my questions, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

You're talking about using a SG07 case right? You mentioned some other cases. The 600w PSU in the SGO7 is a beast. That GTX 570 should be fine, its max draw is 220w.

There are lots of really good pictures in this thread with the AXP-140. The GPU has about 2-3 mm of clearance from the cooler heat pipes, and some people wrap some insulating tape around that area of the heat pipes. The GPU will actually touch the PSU but the PSU comes with a piece of plastic glued to the back which the GPU touches against and doesn't conduct.

That motherboard doesn't allow overclocking of the CPU.

The "Air Perpetrator" fan that silverstone installs on the SG07 is supposed to be really good at focusing air straight down at the CPU, without overclocking I'm sure the stock cooler will be fine. The benefit to a different cooler would be noise reduction, and there are smaller and effective coolers than the AXP-140.

A slim 10-15mm side exhaust fan might get enough hot air out of the case to allow the stock cooler to run at low RPMs.

One last thing, that GPU looks like it might exhaust a lot of its heat into the case, with the big case fan creating positive pressure that air is going to be forced back to the front of the GPU, and then maybe cycled through the GPU again. Its my opinion that small form factor cases really need a blower style GPU cooling system to get the air out of the case.

I bought the silverstone low profile cooler and I'm going to try to use it passive with the big case fan blowing down on it, to see how it works out. I'll buy a different cooler if I can't get a overclock. I was thinking of the Noctura low profile cooler with just the bottom fan installed, and the big case fan blowing at that like a top fan would. I also bought the windowed version of the SG07, and I intend to leave the windows off the case.

I haven't gotten my parts yet to see how its going to work out. I intend to overclock to 4ghz, on the Asrock Z68 board with mosfet heatsinks.

I bought some Arctic Silver 5, but I might switch to something different a little later, depending on how this initial set up works.

Last edited:
I just got this case and PSU, and I've been busily wiring the psu the way I like. I've measured and there's a good 20mm of space more between the plug side of the psu and the side of the case. A larger PSU will fit, but you'd have to modify it to move the plug and power button to another location.

Actually putting the power plug on the side near the spot where the wire bundle comes out, or even on top of the PSU, opposite the fan side, would be an option with this case.

There is a good amount of room inside the PSU to run wires around the fan. 3mm on one side and around 15mm on the other.

If your comfortable with cracking a PSU open and doing some soldering you could squeeze a 160mm PSU in, with a full sized GPU.

I'm going to put pictures of my build here which might help someone else with planning use of this case.

First pic is where the computer will sit when its finished. I'm waiting for more parts here.

waitingforparts.jpg

I don't know why my pictures won't show in the forum. I am using the insert image feature and pasting the URL.

Hello everyone,

I have some parasites in the sound of my newly built SG07, using different sound cards

First, I thougt it was the motherboard causing the issue ( http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038022270&postcount=266 )

However yesterday, I ve taken a multimeter and measured voltage between the SG07 chassis and my ground.

And I have a few mV. This doesn't look too good. I'm thinking that's what's causing parasites to appear in my sound. And I wanted to know if anyone had already seen such a thing on their sg07 ?

(I plan to verify that's it's the case/PSU that s causing this, by mounting the motherboard outside of the case and checking wether I still have some mV in the chassis. Is it a good idea or is it risky for some reason?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello everyone,

I have some parasites in the sound of my newly built SG07, using different sound cards

First, I thougt it was the motherboard causing the issue ( http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038022270&postcount=266 )

However yesterday, I ve taken a multimeter and measured voltage between the SG07 chassis and my ground.

And I have a few mV. This doesn't look too good. I'm thinking that's what's causing parasites to appear in my sound. And I wanted to know if anyone had already seen such a thing on their sg07 ?

(I plan to verify that's it's the case/PSU that s causing this, by mounting the motherboard outside of the case and checking wether I still have some mV in the chassis. Is it a good idea or is it risky for some reason?)

Thanks in advance for your help

On the bottom of this page (26) their talking about it --> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1480615&page=26

Hello,

Thanks for your help. I don't think it's my issue though, as I had already unplugged front panel usb and audio

Quick question, does the HDD LED actually work when you plug the power LED onto the mobo header? Is it the same color, i.e. blue? I'm asking because I've got no HDD LED until recently I mistakenly plugged PWR LED wire into the HHD LED header, and found that the blue LED on front panel actually blinks indicating the HD activities. However, when I corrected this *mistake*, the blue LED on the front panel just shows solid blue indicating power is on, and no more blinking :(

Does everyone's machine work like this? Or do I possibly have a faulty HHD LED wire? (Silverstone's done some poor job at soldering, I had to re-solder my power switch wire and reset wire back to their respective button header due in the past two weeks that I've owned the case :()

p.s., I'm currently leave them wrongly plugged, so I can monitor HHD activity, as I'm experiencing frequent freezing when browsing the net recently...

Another helpless question...

Like someone in the previous post, I'm using a H60 (H50 for them) together with the stock 180mm AP fan. I'm securing the water block onto the fins of the fan, but this makes the fan blow air into the case, while I want the fan to suck air outta the case. This was because that my Vcard is a blow-in design, and ever since I started using AP 180mm fan to blow air into the case, my Vcard has been experiencing drastic temp raise :( Guess the fan on the Vcard is too weak compared to that 180mm monster!

Is there a way to make the fan rotate backward or something? Cuz the can can't be flipped, or there will be no place to mount the water block... Awkward situation, huh?

1) The LED is a combo power / HDD activity light. It's very hard to see, but when there is HDD activity the light flashes a little bit brighter. You almost have to look at it head-on to see it though.

2) You might have to do without the AP fan and then you can use the H60's fan in reverse. Though I would get a different video card. :)

1) The LED is a combo power / HDD activity light. It's very hard to see, but when there is HDD activity the light flashes a little bit brighter. You almost have to look at it head-on to see it though.

2) You might have to do without the AP fan and then you can use the H60's fan in reverse. Though I would get a different video card. :)

Thanks for the headup!

1) But even when I plug HDD LED wire into the PWR LED, the LED is dark, that must mean I have a problem with the HDD LED wire, right? Because when I plug PWR LED wire into either PWR LED or HDD LED header, the LED either turns solid blue, or flashes :( God I hate pulling everything out just to solder a small thing like this again?!

2) Ye i thought it's probably that... I love the AP fan tho, at least it looks sexy in the way that it's larger than my mobo ;p But kidding aside, I did consider changing to a different card, what would you recommend? You know when it comes to component choice for these SFF cases, it's really a pain. I hate being so annoying and post in these threads before any purchase decisions...I originally considered just to get an aftermarket cooler for the Vcard, but that awesome Arctic twin turbo ii seems to be to thick for our case.

Among 570s, I really liked MSI Twin Frozr 3, don't know if it fits? Isn't it also a blow-in design? Still, i'd really like to know what you were refering to a *different* card lol. ATI?:D

Thanks for the headup!

1) But even when I plug HDD LED wire into the PWR LED, the LED is dark, that must mean I have a problem with the HDD LED wire, right? Because when I plug PWR LED wire into either PWR LED or HDD LED header, the LED either turns solid blue, or flashes :( God I hate pulling everything out just to solder a small thing like this again?!

2) Ye i thought it's probably that... I love the AP fan tho, at least it looks sexy in the way that it's larger than my mobo ;p But kidding aside, I did consider changing to a different card, what would you recommend? You know when it comes to component choice for these SFF cases, it's really a pain. I hate being so annoying and post in these threads before any purchase decisions...I originally considered just to get an aftermarket cooler for the Vcard, but that awesome Arctic twin turbo ii seems to be to thick for our case.

Among 570s, I really liked MSI Twin Frozr 3, don't know if it fits? Isn't it also a blow-in design? Still, i'd really like to know what you were refering to a *different* card lol. ATI?:D

1: Did you mount the +- in the right position, leds dont light up when +- is in wrong way.

2:Arctic is 3 slots which is to big to close chassis, max is 2,5 slots card or coolers.

First problem solved! It turns out that it was a bad soldering for HDD light wire... I hated it. There are four wires total, three to the front panel, and one to the reset button, three of them came with the case with bad soldering, can't believe it, I mean, I'm a totally noob solderer, actually I learned to solder just because I couldn't turn on the computer when I first received it due to that bad soldering of power switch button wire, and I did a more robust soldering job than Silverstone workers in...China? I digress...

Anyway, after I soldered HDD LED wire, and tested that it works, like jwcalla said, you still can't tell the difference because the power light is closer to the hole which makes it much brighter. So I switched them: connect HDD LED wire to PWR SW header, and PWR SW wire to HDD LED header. This way, HDD LED becomes the brighter light, and power light is dimmed. Now we can tell when HDD is reading and writing, aha.

Guess most of people didn't care as I saw no one mentioned this before, but to those who do want to see HDD activities, hope this helped... Or maybe you did do this trick and didn't want to share with us! Hey YOU, i'm calling ya!

Anyway, the second issue remains, two airflows contradict to each other, and my vcard raised 10C ever since!! Is there any out-blow type GTX570 out there?

p.s., thiesggb, I shot you a PM a while back asking you about mounting radi to 180mm AP fan, guess you never received it XD, had a hard time reaching ya!

Anyway, the second issue remains, two airflows contradict to each other, and my vcard raised 10C ever since!! Is there any out-blow type GTX570 out there?

p.s., thiesggb, I shot you a PM a while back asking you about mounting radi to 180mm AP fan, guess you never received it XD, had a hard time reaching ya!

I just responded to it, i''m not online much and im on aircooling :)

Factory card's that blow hot air out the case are only the rear exhausting cards.

Far as i know all the twinfrozer look a likes that all manufacturers make are always blowing towards the card/ in the case.

10c raise from what? iff your card is under 90c i dont see the problem, i know the cooler the better but if you refer to a raise of 50-60 or 60-70 i wouldnt mind.

I just meant something that blew its hot air outside the case. Considering how small the case is, and all the cooling shenanigans that must be dealt with, it seems like the best way to go for a case like this.

My evga 570 is like this... it sucks air from outside the case and blows it right out the back. Everything but the CPU runs warmer than you'd find in a big case though. But that's just a side effect of having a SFF. :)

Funny thing is I do have an EVGA 570, but it's an HD :(

I did a quick test just now. With the big AP fan blowing downward thru the rad, idling, CPU GPU Mobo are all about 38/39/40C. Then, I unplugged the AP fan, CPU obviously raised to 50C or so, however, GPU and Mobo dropped to 31/32C or so! Looks like time to swap AP181 for an exhaust.

Looks like I'm ditching this H60 now, major for the pump noise along with the AP181 fitment issue, and I don't wanna get rid of AP181 just yet. From intense googling, it looks like H60's pump is just noisy w/o tuning down the pump speed. However, my lousy mobo just wouldn't actually alter the rate on a non-PWM device, and apparently the pump was designed to run stable rate and only has 3-pin connector... Every other H60 owner that I read from Corsair forum is able to achieve this, but me with my mobo ;( Anyone here using H60 having the same issue? I'm pretty much done with my water cooling fantasy. I used to have an asetek 510LC. Defective pump. Went ahead and bought H60, even louder than 510LC...

Am I reading that right... your GPU temp is 39 and mobo is 40? Man I feel bad now... I idle at like 65/55. lol

My friend went through a few RMAs on the H60 due to pump noise. I think he finally landed one that was quiet. He also has one of those evga 570 HDs. Isn't that a covered vidcard that exhausts air out the rear slots?

no way? I was thinking 39/40 was too high, as I was reading 30ish idle everywhere!! Maybe those numbers I was reading are all from full tower or something?

570HD.. Ye, it's covered, and I'd say it exhausts partial air out of the rear, but there are vents on the top, and a big opening in the front (the exactly opposite side of the rear vents), so hot air actually goes out of every direction. I'd say it's rather an intake design in my case (sg07), as hot air is essentially radiated out of the card into every direction, and stay in the case. It depends solely on the case's airflow after that :(

I am really on a fence right now, dunno if i should request for a replacement or just return it and get a good air cooler... I've opened up more than 20 tabs in my firefox all about low profile coolers... They are really making me dizzy right now, esp. after staying up the whole night...

haha, true. People need to know when to stop. BUT, let me show you this video i just shot... I figured that i really need to be on the same page with everyone, i.e., what is loudness to everybody, maybe i was too sensitive?

watch

IMO that's pretty loud. If you can hear it with the cover on then it's definitely too loud.

Yeah, too loud for me as well. Best you could try and do is whack some sound dampening material on it. I usually build sound-proof containers to put my water pumps in, and a similar idea should work for the mounted pumps like the H60. Buy some dense rubber style sound dampening material, and attach it to the outside of the pump housing in layers until the noise disappears ;) One of these should work.

Or just RMA it :p vv

Last edited:
Yep, i just posted that vid on corsair support forum yesterday and see what they have to say, if they say that's normal I'm definitely gonna return it. Otherwise, i may try my luck again on a replacement. I wanna set my tolerance at say 2 RMAs maybe? After that if it's still to loud for me, i'd go for air and never look back.. Hell, i currently have 20 webpages of air coolers saved in my browser, definitely enough candidates here :D

The air flow of my case still gets me really confused currently. Even if i go for air cooler, the airflow would still be downward blowing on CPU/mobo, which actually raises my mobo/vcard temp by 10C or so, but I just can't see myself going with a louder, smaller, and less effective fan that blows upward to use with H60's waterblock...

Yeah, too loud for me as well. Best you could try and do is whack some sound dampening material on it. I usually build sound-proof containers to put my water pumps in, and a similar idea should work for the mounted pumps like the H60. Buy some dense rubber style sound dampening material, and attach it to the outside of the pump housing in layers until the noise disappears ;) One of these should work.

Or just RMA it :p vv

Thanks for the tips. It's just that I've heard from a lot from H60 users here/there on Hard and on corsair forum, who describe their pump as *super* quiet *super* silent and "I can't hear anything from it"... I'm not super sensitive to noise, as I used to have a gaming laptop, and that thing is seriously noisy, which was why I moved into desktop crowd. Now I have a hard time to accept anything that's as loud as my previous laptop. God I envy those people who described their machine as *deadly* silent.

It's can be hard to gauge silence off of other people's thoughts, since silence and noise can mean different things to different people. However, it is possible it's making more noise than usual. If time isn't of the essence, then RMAing it could prove fruitful if you get one back that is quieter.

One of my brothers is super-sensitive to electronic noise, so what was usually considered 'super silent' was too annoying for him to use. Any little chirps, buzzes, whines or vibrations would eventually give him a headache. Building his PC was... an adventure, and a learning lesson :p

Right, although I just happened to bump into several other videos on youtube by several frustrated H60 users lol... Their crappy H60 seemed to make the same noise as mine did, so now I'm pretty concluded that this is a widespread issue that has not been addressed by Corsair.

Meanwhile, I decided that I can't wait for that RMA no more, I need to get this thing right in a week, as I'm traveling with the rig after that during winter vacation. So I got myself an AXP 140 and filed a return for H60 on Amazon, hopefully they won't pick on me for some scratches on the rad...

Anyone with AXP140 knows if it fits a 140mm when the 3.5'' hard drive bay is used? I'm using a third HD in the bay, and I've heard that the SATA cable is in the way to prevent the installation of a 140mm fan. I really liked TY-140, but may have to go with Noctua P12. Hopefully someone having experience with it could chime in here ;) Any other suggestion on fan selection for AXP140?

I'm running a 140mm fan on an AXP-140 with a drive in the 3.5" bay. I'm using a 90* SATA cable. It's a tight fit but it works A-OK once you get it it all wedged in there.

Back