Silverstone SG03 out

Zoogle

Gawd
Just a bit of SFF fun.
Silverstone SG03
I'm not a big fan (pun intended) of tower SFF cases but some of you might like the 2X120mm fans and room for radiator comment.

IMO 120mm fans should be standard on all SSF cases. It's the one thing that kept me from giving the SG01 a 2nd look.

Need some better pics/more details of the SG03.

Hmm.. looks like direct competition for Silverstones own TJ08. I like mATX cases and this one looks promising. Need more detailed pics though.

Wish it was smaller too. Then again I keep hoping that Antec would release a SFF case based on their NSK2400/Fusion case, I'd buy one in a heartbeat instead.

The middle Milo case looks like something I'de buy, but the SG-03 and the Crown...hell no...they look ridiculous, as if designed by Raidmax (IMO).

Just to give you an idea about how long it takes to develop a case...Tony told me about the SG03 back in July.

I am a little shocked about the showing of that while the SG02 is still delayed. I'm also interested in the NT07 and how that relates to these cases (if at all).

Anyway, I emailed Tony and hopefully I can get you guys some specs soon :)

Hmm.. looks like direct competition for Silverstones own TJ08. I like mATX cases and this one looks promising. Need more detailed pics though.

The TJ08 has two 120mm fans. One in front and one in rear. The SG03 has 2 fans up front according to the pic. If it has one in the rear, and I dont see why it wouldnt, it could possibly trump the TJ08 in cooling performance. Its a interesting case to be sure. I'd like to see more details myself. :)

not digging it... I prefer a more subdued look... too much going on with the sg03

it definitely doesn't look like a sff tho..

Yeah, its more along the lines of a mATX tower than the traditional SFF box. Not a bad looking unit though from what little I see.

I didnt see anything to indicate what size psu it had. I might have missed it though. Still wiping the sleep out of my eyes. :D

Seeing it from the back makes it look a lot smaller then the front does.

Yep, when I first saw the front it looked very towerish. I'm don't really like the front panels that open up like that. Perhaps a mini-P180B would be cool...mmm...

Wish it was smaller too. Then again I keep hoping that Antec would release a SFF case based on their NSK2400/Fusion case, I'd buy one in a heartbeat instead.

The Fusion is already microatx, and seems pretty small (comparatively). I think it's a good balance between size, noise and cooling. I have the NSK1300 and man, cooling that thing is such a pain.

But smaller can trump anything in the right circumstance :D

I like the ML-02. Need more pics!

Some more pics of the SG03: http://www.ocia.net/articles/ces2007/silverstone/page1.shtml
The Fusion is already microatx, and seems pretty small (comparatively). I think it's a good balance between size, noise and cooling. I have the NSK1300 and man, cooling that thing is such a pain.
Think something between the Fusion, Qmicra and Microfly and you'll have some idea of what I want. The fact that the Fusion is a MATX case hasn't escaped me, I just don't care. It makes for a terrific HTPC case (which is why I have one) but in no way do I want to use it for my regular day to day system due to how wide it is. Clearly it's more at home in an entertainment rack then anywhere else.

I quite like the look of that :) Nice and clean.

Reminds me of a conventially laid out Lian Li V600. Wonder if she'll come in black.

Some specs, squinted off it's sign from one of the CES pix:

Black or Silver
1x5.25" (optical), 1x3.5" (FDD), 2x3.5" (HDD)
120mm x 2 (front intake) - {no indication they're Silverstone's 9-bladed quiet ones}
Left side panels vent holes for PSU
Cross fan on rear slot
Std ATX PSU 150x140x86mm
8800GTX compatible
Dimensions: W200mm x D310mm x H350mm

I designed an MFF like this over Xmas, on Google Sketch. Two drives at the bottom, PSU above the CPU, etc. Mine had a 120mm exhaust on the top, though. There's only so much you can do in such a limited space. The wiring won't be a problem if it's routed correctly. Size wise, it will look tiny; a bit shorter than two stacked SN25Ps.

Silverstone make HSFs, so maybe they've designed one specially for this case. It sounds like it, with the "Cross fan on rear slot" line.

Silverstone do make an SFF (short cable) ATX PSU, the "ST50EF-Plus SC". One of those might be better than a modular, which tend to be longer.

Silverstone make HSFs, so maybe they've designed one specially for this case. It sounds like it, with the "Cross fan on rear slot" line.
I don't know about that, I'm still waiting for them to release one for their LC19. :(

The middle Milo case looks like something I'de buy, but the SG-03 and the Crown...hell no...they look ridiculous, as if designed by Raidmax (IMO).

Yea I like the Milo02 also. I'm already planning a system around that.

The new crown is too big. I like their idea of going with a better cooling option case I'd just wish they would stay slim and provide more vents.

I still like my TJ-08s over the SG-03.

I don't like the way the CPU HSF will be crammed under the PSU like that. I had an ATX tower that was about the size of the TJ08 because of the same design, but the temps were horrible. That sort of design doesn't work out too well, because the CPU and the PSU end up fighting over the air. It seems to have been controlled a bit by the 2x120mm fans in the front, but I still can't imagine it having good temps, or even temps as good as the SG01...

That SG03 looks nice! I hope they provide one in black as well.

I will be getting one of these when they are released. :)

So, is the SG03 a replacement for the SG01? The only part I'm not digging is that you lose one of the external 5 1/4" drive bays. The SG01 offered a flexibility of offering two bays for mounting a DVDRW along with a sound card drive bay.

the 03 looks amazing, my only gripe is the top vent which i dislike in principle from the point of view of some berk (me drunk?) tipping a cup of tea into it.

but I am about to receive an Abit AM2 nView mATX board as a replacement for the MSI K8GN2-FID board which inhabited my SUGO 01 system..............

.......... i sense an AM2 rig sat in a SUGO 03 with an 8800GTX in the making.

great work Silverstone.

I asked a Silverstone bod about the top 80mm fan in the upcoming Sugo 03:

Hi xxxx,

Many thanks for your swift and informative replies to date.

Guess what; i have another question/comment for you:

First off, congrats to the Silverstone Team on the Sugo 03, a truly
innovative case.

Is there any chance of not having the top mounted 80mm vent in the Sugo 03
though?

It is a bit ugly, spoiling the lines of an otherwise very attractive case.
Top vents are always a danger to the components within from coffee
spillages.
As an alternative, there is already a spare expansion blank at the top of
the case, and Silverstone already has a Crossflow Fan for use in Sugo cases.

Rather than a top vent for an 'optional' 80mm fan, why not just provide
mounting points for the crossflow fan against the spare expansion blank.

It would provide a prettier case.
It would provide a better protecting case.
It would provide another use for an existing Silverstone cooling product.
How about it?

Kind regards

R3MF
and this was the response:
Hi R3MF, thanks for keeping up with us and giving us your feedbacks! The
production SG03 chassis design has recently been finalized so we cannot make
any more changes at this point. However, after having done many tests on
the prototype that we revealed at CES, we did remove the top mounted 80mm
vent as it barely made any difference to overall cooling effectiveness. The
option of adding the FX121 and the distance from CPU to PSU will remain the
same as seen on SG01 so if you've already invested in our NT06 cooler plus
short cabled ST50EF-Plus or modular PSU, they can be reused again.

What is different from SG01 however, is the ability to flip the PSU around
so that its bottom 120mm can be drawing outside air through the open grilled
side panel (for those that do not have NT06 or other setups that requires
PSU not to be drawing air from the CPU area). The styling of the side panel
with open grille will look somewhat similar to TJ09.

Our schedule for availability is likely to be in April.

xxxx
SilverStone Technology
http://www.silverstonetek.com

i find it hard to picture what the vented side-panel will look like, but i am delighted to hear the top 80mm fan has disappeared.

Many thanks to Silverstones excellent employees.

R3MF

That's good news R3MF, the vents on the side panel will probably be made with the same mesh as used at the top of the TJ09 and the front of the TJ08.

However, I'm not sure I like the idea of relying only on that crossflow fan for exhaust (when one doesn't use a 120mm PSU or has to turn the PSU around to use a heatsink other than the NT06). You're pretty much stuck with their crossflow fan, you can't swap it for a quiter fan for example. How loud is their crossflow fan? Can you undervolt the thing?

my suggestion of the crossflow fan was only as a replacement for the optional 80mm top vent.

if you will notice from one of the rear pictures of the 03, you will see that their is an expansion blank at the TOP of the case. for use with fan-controllers and the like.

i don't want to use the crossflow fan at all, but i really didn't want lots of holes drilled in the top of the case for what would be an optional fan anyway.

the crossflow was only suggested as an alternative to stupid (and apparently ineffective) holes in the top of the case.

use the NT06 for CPU/system cooling, and have the option to mount the crossflow fan across the expansion blank gap as additional top exhaust.

This case is hot. I take it that it is not for sale yet.
Will a Zalman 9500 fit in there?

Perfect, mATX gaming board, C2D price drops, and this all within a month or so. Makes for the perfect time to build a comp.

I dont like that passive cpu cooling suggestion. I wonder what is going to fit.

a silverstone NT06 cooler
which fits JUST beneatth the 120mm PSU fan.

works great, see sig.

Will this case have cooling comparable to that of the Cooler Master 541?

Back