Silverstone SG03 new build **PICS**

dworley

Gawd
Fry's had several BLACK SG03's in stock, so I picked one up to check out and do a quick review for you all...

Here's some initial pics (clickable thumbnails) showing packaging and size comparisson to Fragbox2 (SG01) and Shuttle G5, then vs Lian-Li V1000 tower

Here's the build specs for this system:

Silverstone SG03
• C2D E4300 • EVGA 8800GTS • 4gb Patriot LLK • 160gb Raptor • Creative X-Fi Fatality • Shuttle DVD/RW
• Abit F-I90HD • Enermax Liberty 620W PSU • Gateway FPD2485W • Logitech 5500D • Klipsch Quintet III • XP Pro

So far my CPU idle/load temps are 46/56 with a single 120mm intake fan, which are the same CPU temps as my Fragbox2 (SG01) with the exact same components and CPU cooler installed.....

CPU is C2D E4300 @ 2.88 (9x320) at stock voltages

Next I plan to add a second 120mm fan and then try out the 8800GTX ;)

Very nice, looking forward to the pics. I've got some build action here this weekend myself, an order from FrozenCPU arrived this morning so I've been busy making custom wiring harnesses for my MicroFly build.

Looks noisy.

Actually, it's near silent since I am using a passive CPU cooler and just installed (2) Nexus 120mm silent fans for intake :D

Temps dropped 4C to 42C Idle and 53C load at 78F room temp with dual intake fans.

Wow that SG03 looks cool, a tad to big for my taste.

Sorry for the side question but, did the 8800gtx make your Fragbox case hot? How did you have your fans set up? Thank You.

Sorry for the side question but, did the 8800gtx make your Fragbox case hot? How did you have your fans set up? Thank You.

I did not install the 8800GTX in my Fragbox, since my 8800GTS is plenty fast for BF2142.

For the SG01 case I had both top fans set to exhaust and the side fan was setup for intake over the HD. I prefer using the Silverstone NT06 "lite" cooler in the SG01 / SG03 and Fragbox as it is very effective at removing most of the heat from the CPU through the PSU 120mm fan.

awesome pics...........now I hope the prices come down to around $100, I can't see myself spending anymore on a case.

Keep in mind the SG03 is no bigger than an SG01--same size in volume. But because it is shaped like a mid tower, it looks deceptively big without a reference object next to it to put it into scale.

I think silverstones are worth every penny. They are true quality in and out. Quality materials, quality finish, good functionality. The fact the SG03 fits MicroATX motherboards, ATX power supplies, and 8800GTX SLI means you have just about complete freedom to build a nice rig in a small box and you get 2x120mm fans.

Wow, thanks a BUNCH for these pics!

I'll second the comment, though...it really does look kinda 'big' next to that G5 Shuttle. Hmmm. May just end up going with the SG01. Hmmmmmmm.

I'm thinking about buying the case, but the mesh worries me. I keep imagining the front turning into a huge sheet of dust. Is this possible? :confused:

hmm, that frag box looks just like the Thermaltake LanBox with the handle on it.

I really like that case.

I'm thinking about buying the case, but the mesh worries me. I keep imagining the front turning into a huge sheet of dust. Is this possible? :confused:

It's still better to have the dust in front of the case instead of being inside coating all the parts .

hmm, that frag box looks just like the Thermaltake LanBox with the handle on it.

I really like that case.

I guess I have a different perspective as to what is aethetically pleasing....;)

Brushed aluminum finish on case cover and front with seemlessly integrated handle design - Fragbox, CHECK!

11-163-071-03.jpg

Ugly as sin, bolted on appendage - Lanbox, CHECK!

11-133-035-03.jpg

Fragbox - FTW! :D

I am impressed by the depth of planning that you execute in your systems dworley. The pictures you always include provide significant motivation and information on how to improve my system(s).

Regarding the two 60mm fans you attached to the underside of the NT 06 Lite, did you fabricate a bracket or are they held up with zip ties?

How much additional noise (run at 12v. ?) is there with such small diameter fans?

What is your impression of the ST50EF-PLUS short cable PS?

I am impressed by the depth of planning that you execute in your systems dworley. The pictures you always include provide significant motivation and information on how to improve my system(s).

Regarding the two 60mm fans you attached to the underside of the NT 06 Lite, did you fabricate a bracket or are they held up with zip ties?

How much additional noise (run at 12v. ?) is there with such small diameter fans?

What is your impression of the ST50EF-PLUS short cable PS?

Thanks for the compliments! For a time I tried on the reviewers hat, but it was too much of a time consumer to get the reviews cranked out so I prefer just doing it informally now.

The two 60mm fans are somewhat unique as they are from a Shuttle P series system and are PWM 4-wire slim fans. I have them connected to the CPU fan controller and use speedfan to control fan speeds based on temps. They can move a decent amount of air at full speed and still remain very quiet, but I have them running at low RPM. I used paper clips to attach them to the NT06 frame.

I have never tried the Silverstone PSU's as I went with the Enermax Liberty since it was a bit shorter and modular. I tried a Seasonic M12 700W and it is very efficient and quiet, but that works against the NT06 setup as it did not move enough air. The Liberty 620 is a good balance as it does spin up the fan under gaming load to move more air over the NT06, so having it somewhat taxed is a good thing :D.

Thanks for the post dworley - system looks cool.

I've been planning my SG03 build for a while - my case arrives next week.

I haven't found a DVD RW with a brushed aluminium front yet (its a crime to put straight plastic into such high-end cases isn't it?).

It looks like the one in your build is at least partially aluminium. What make / model is it?

I haven't found a DVD RW with a brushed aluminium front yet (its a crime to put straight plastic into such high-end cases isn't it?).

It looks like the one in your build is at least partially aluminium. What make / model is it?

My DVD/RW is Shuttle brand, Pioneer made a brushed aluminum face drive as well which Silverstone has pictured in several reviews I have seen.

Coolermaster makes an aluminum bezel that looks realy nice but I can only find it in black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999767

EDIT:

The Silver bezel is very hard to find, but here it is: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9878&vpn=AFP-U01&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

Here's a pic of my Pioneer A07XL-B:

These front bezels were made up to the A09 then discontinued in N.America. Pioneer released the A12XL (everywhere except the US :mad:) last year which has a piano gloss finish. You can try looking for these on ebay but its really hard to find em. One seller always has the A12 for sale for about ~$100 shipped from Hong Kong.

Sorry dworley, partial hijack of your thread, but it's related to posts here. Actually since you've built one already, I am even curious about your opinion on the subject.

I think the new SG03 has lots of potential, however I am less than psyched about the mesh panel. And I know some of you in the forum have been curious about having two regular panels instead.

I therefore emailed Silverstone about it, and here’s my email and their answer. In short, if more people ask for it, they may do it.

Message sent to [email protected]
Hello,

While being overall very impressed with the design of your new Sugo case, the SG03, I need a little bit modularity in the form of a normal side panel instead of the mesh one. Here’s why.

While the mesh panel is essential if one has the PSU facing outward, I plan to use the Silverstone Nitrogon NT06-Lite with my PSU facing inward and sucking hot air from the CPU (a common design feature of the Sugo series). In that case, the mesh panel is:
1) Useless
2) Ugly
3) Detrimental to the front-to-back airflow created by the 120mm fans pushing in the front, since there are no fans to pull in the back: the air will escape sideways through the mesh, and not properly cool short PCI cards or the back HDD.

It’s too bad to see such a nice airflow design ruined by a single, easily replaceable component, such as the mesh side panel.

I have already seen others (in a popular SFF forum) ask about availability of a replacement side panel for the mesh, so I know I am not alone there. I also know that you have side-panels available for your Temjin series, so it’s not an impossible feat for Silverstone.

Please do take time to consider the merits of my argument. I will post your response to the forum.

(Salutations and sig)
Response from [email protected]
Hi, thank you very much for your interest in SilverStone and for the feedback. The SG03 has only recently started selling so we will definitely take careful note of your suggestion and look to implement it quickly if we receive more feedbacks similar to yours.

Tony Ou
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.
http://www.silverstonetek.com
So anyone interested, please email them the same request.

Thanks

I guess I have a different perspective as to what is aethetically pleasing....;)

Brushed aluminum finish on case cover and front with seemlessly integrated handle design - Fragbox, CHECK!

Asthetics difference is really minimal. They are both.....black....both have a handle to carry, both have side windows. I have an SG01, I really like it. But didn't want to pay the premium for a Fragbox....isn't worth it to me. I plan on getting the Thermaltake for a friend of mine, and for me as well (the silver version).

Just my opinion, thanks....

So far my CPU idle/load temps are 46/56 with a single 120mm intake fan, which are the same CPU temps as my Fragbox2 (SG01) with the exact same components and CPU cooler installed.....

CPU is C2D E4300 @ 2.88 (9x320) at stock voltages

Next I plan to add a second 120mm fan and then try out the 8800GTX ;)

Are these temps with the ~60mm fans under your NT06, or without?

Asthetics difference is really minimal. They are both.....black....both have a handle to carry, both have side windows. I have an SG01, I really like it. But didn't want to pay the premium for a Fragbox....isn't worth it to me. I plan on getting the Thermaltake for a friend of mine, and for me as well (the silver version).

Just my opinion, thanks....

I couldn't agree more.....it's all about personal preference!

I just happen to like Black with brushed aluminum finish covers and I'm willing to pay a little more for it. Which Is why I prefer Lian-Li quality cases and Shuttle's. I had an SG01 and MF case and was not even considering paying $300 for a Fragbox! I only ended up with one because I was able to trade for it :D

Are these temps with the ~60mm fans under your NT06, or without?
Sorry, temps are with the 60mm fans, from previous testing my temps were about 2C higher without the fans.

Sorry dworley, partial hijack of your thread, but it's related to posts here. Actually since you've built one already, I am even curious about your opinion on the subject.

I think the new SG03 has lots of potential, however I am less than psyched about the mesh panel. And I know some of you in the forum have been curious about having two regular panels instead.

I therefore emailed Silverstone about it, and here’s my email and their answer. In short, if more people ask for it, they may do it.

Message sent to [email protected]

Response from [email protected]

So anyone interested, please email them the same request.

Thanks

this gets my vote, i don't need a vebntilated side panel.

I emailed them, this is the response I got.

Hi,

thank you for your feed back we have received a few email requesting this option and our engineers are considering this so it is possible that we can offer this we'll see
Thank You

Support

First time silverstone responded to me with no punctuation :p
I'm still very impressed that they responded so quickly

I got my review unit today. The Mesh front has a fan filter attached with it so I wouldn't worry about dust too much.

The cooling is not much of a concern with 2x120mm fans. They do test this stuff so I would be surprised if it ran hot.

So many good news at once!

@White0ut442: I'm glad that they are considering it, thanks for emailing them.

@Steeeeve: I was about to ask you since you didn't mention that particular box in your news update on your site recently.

dworley,

Do you have a way to read your HDD temps? How effective would you say the bottom 12cm fan is at cooling the HDD(s)?

Also, since you got a Raptor, how loud is it when seeking considering it sits behind a mesh front panel and not a more soundproof material?

Thanks much

11-163-071-03.jpg

11-133-035-03.jpg

I'll agree with Dworley that as far as *looks* go the Fragbox does look nicer IMO. But thats just in my eyes. But looks are just part of a case's features. Performance is even more important. :)

I'll agree with Dworley that as far as *looks* go the Fragbox does look nicer IMO. But thats just in my eyes. But looks are just part of a case's features. Performance is even more important. :)

Price does weigh into the equation....I had always wanted a Fragbox but was unwilling to pay the exhorbitant price. It was only after I found a deal in the FS/Trade forum for one that I traded a 7800GTX + cash.

The other issue I had with the lanbox is that it is very long at 17" vs. 14.8" for the Fragbox.

My DVD/RW is Shuttle brand, Pioneer made a brushed aluminum face drive as well which Silverstone has pictured in several reviews I have seen.

Coolermaster makes an aluminum bezel that looks realy nice but I can only find it in black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999767

EDIT:

The Silver bezel is very hard to find, but here it is: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=COOLERMASTER

These front bezels were made up to the A09 then discontinued in N.America. Pioneer released the A12XL (everywhere except the US ) last year which has a piano gloss finish. You can try looking for these on ebay but its really hard to find em. One seller always has the A12 for sale for about ~$100 shipped from Hong Kong.

Thanks Dworley, Calpis, I'll check these out...

Looks like the Shuttle DVDRW isn't around in the UK anymore, so it may be Coolermaster bezels, or shipping from Hong Kong...

Yeah, I got a review unit and tested that first thing :)

I'm doing a sound test and cooling test this Tuesday to determine if that side vent actually help or hurts anything. After that a review should be out.

Yeah, I got a review unit and tested that first thing :)

I'm doing a sound test and cooling test this Tuesday to determine if that side vent actually help or hurts anything. After that a review should be out.

The side vent does not seem to be affecting my cooling performance negatively.....

I installed two Nexus 120mm silent fans and my temps in the SG03 are 4C-6C lower than any other SFF system I have tested these same components in.

I'm getting 40-42C Idle and 52C-54C load with an [email protected] w/NT06 and 8800GTX installed. :cool:

Back