Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

You mean fix the problem by coming out with a new product model? :)

No thanks, I prefer to be a bit more proactive. And this way, I can choose any fan I want and not be reliant on Silverstone.

Not topic related, but i bought a Silverstone Strider Plus (modular @ D140mm only) and the 120mm fan is ridiculously noisy.

I'd RMA the b*tch if didn't live in a country where the stores will make me wait for months just to get a new one.

I would avoid Silverstone altogether.

I sent them a email but i don't have any spare options available to replace it and i don't feel like having no PC for a while.

Buying something new and get a defective part is so annoying! :(

I sent them a email but i don't have any spare options available to replace it and i don't feel like having no PC for a while.

Buying something new and get a defective part is so annoying! :(

To be completely fair, this can happen with ANY PSU from ANY manufacturer. I had a PC Power and Cooling PSU die on me in 2 days brand new. I had it replaced at my vendor, and all was well. I don't see what your experience with a completely different model has to add to this SFX PSU discussion.

Just read any feedback on PSUs on places like newegg. Vast majority will have at least one or two reports of DoA or dying shortly after first use. I'm sorry you were one of the unlucky people who got a PSU with a defect. It wasn't quite like getting a dead PSU in your case, but still, these defects can happen.

I see an increasing number of people complaining about Silverstone PSU's fan noisiness, no matter which model.

That's my contribution to the thread, that's all.

I was looking at the ST45SF-G and others... All the other power suppliers from other companies come with "extra long" cables for added convenience... So SilverStone seems to be the only option..

but all of their power supplies are either too big to fit in my SG08 (>140mm depth & hits the graphics card) or are even more noisy than the stock one.

The ST45SF-G will fit, but comes with a hideous looking bracket and you end up with your power supply suspended in mid air... and the whole 450 watt vs 600 watt argument of course...

So I guess this is really just for the SG05/06...

Sadly, I haven't found any alternatives for a quiet power supply with short modular cables :(

So I guess this is really just for the SG05/06...

Sadly, I haven't found any alternatives for a quiet power supply with short modular cables :(

Not really, Im gonna put it in my shuttle. And if you want shorter cables, then you have to do like someothers do, and then shorten them

I'm disapointed to hear all the negative feedback in regards to noise on this new PSU. I was looking forward to building a FT03-Mini with the ST45SF-G in the near future but noise is a factor I take into consideration.

Would anyone using this PSU and having owned an SG07/08 be able to tell how the PSU noise would compare?

Can't help you with the comparo to the ATX units, but it is certainly louder than the 300/450W FSP (Bronze) SFX units. If I didn't absolutely need a modular SFX unit, this thing would have already been returned. :(

@WiSK: Also wondering why you have the PSU oriented to be taking air from the case wall? The answer is that I can't flip it when an optical drive and it's mounting is installed - the bracket is blocking the ATX 24pin connector at the PSU.

Over the weekend I've done the dB measurement at home with a Voltcraft SL-300 dB measurement device.

Settings:I configured the device for the range: 30~80 dBA; measurement time was set to slow=1s (optimized for continuous loudness measurements); background noise level about 26 dBA; standard office temperature around 22°C;distance from device to the FT03-mini was 50cm while the device was located on the left site. I measured the loudness shortly after boot up Windows 7. Before I took the first measurement point I pre-heated the CPU with 1 minute full load, using Prime95s "In-place large FFTs) for it. While measuring the PC was idle, only Win7 background services were working. I checked the power consumption continuously to confirm the PC was idle while measuring (using Voltcraft Energy check 3000).

Measurements: Than the first measurements taken place while the PC was idle. I started the whole measurement on Saturday around 8:00 AM, prepared everything, boot-up, pre-heat with Prime and noted the first loudness level at:
8:04 (38,2 dBA @ 61,9W)
8:05 (37,3 dBA @ 61,9W)
8:06 (36,6 dBA @ 62,0W)
8:07 (38,0 dBA @ 62,1W)
8:08 (38,2 dBA @ 62,1W)
8:09 (38,7 dBA @ 62,3W)
Average idle noise level: 37,83 dBA

I left the PC running on idle and wait approx. 0,5h until I noted 5 more measurement points:

8:35 (40,1 dBA @ 63,1W)
8:36 (40,0 dBA @ 63,0W)
8:37 (40,2 dBA @ 63,2W)
8:38 (40,1 dBA @ 63,1W)
8:39 (40,3 dBA @ 63,1W)
Average idle noise level: 40,14 dBA

After that the pc keeps running idle for ~50 minutes...
9:30 (41,0 dBA @ 63,3W)
9:31 (41,0 dBA @ 63,3W)
9:32 (40,9 dBA @ 63,4W)
9:33 (41,3 dBA @ 62,6W)
9:34 (41,0 dBA @ 62,6W)
Average idle noise level: 41,04 dBA

After that, I'm not really sure how I should proceed with my FT03-mini built. The idle noise level is too loud for my ears and during full load (while playing a game) it becomes even worse.

Any hints? Maybe also for a silent mini-itx case or do I have to use a different case in a somewhat bigger form-factor?

@WiSK: Also wondering why you have the PSU oriented to be taking air from the case wall? The answer is that I can't flip it when an optical drive and it's mounting is installed - the bracket is blocking the ATX 24pin connector at the PSU.

Over the weekend I've done the dB measurement at home with a Voltcraft SL-300 dB measurement device.

Settings:I configured the device for the range: 30~80 dBA; measurement time was set to slow=1s (optimized for continuous loudness measurements); background noise level about 26 dBA; standard office temperature around 22°C;distance from device to the FT03-mini was 50cm while the device was located on the left site. I measured the loudness shortly after boot up Windows 7. Before I took the first measurement point I pre-heated the CPU with 1 minute full load, using Prime95s "In-place large FFTs) for it. While measuring the PC was idle, only Win7 background services were working. I checked the power consumption continuously to confirm the PC was idle while measuring (using Voltcraft Energy check 3000).

Measurements: Than the first measurements taken place while the PC was idle. I started the whole measurement on Saturday around 8:00 AM, prepared everything, boot-up, pre-heat with Prime and noted the first loudness level at:
8:04 (38,2 dBA @ 61,9W)
8:05 (37,3 dBA @ 61,9W)
8:06 (36,6 dBA @ 62,0W)
8:07 (38,0 dBA @ 62,1W)
8:08 (38,2 dBA @ 62,1W)
8:09 (38,7 dBA @ 62,3W)
Average idle noise level: 37,83 dBA

I left the PC running on idle and wait approx. 0,5h until I noted 5 more measurement points:

8:35 (40,1 dBA @ 63,1W)
8:36 (40,0 dBA @ 63,0W)
8:37 (40,2 dBA @ 63,2W)
8:38 (40,1 dBA @ 63,1W)
8:39 (40,3 dBA @ 63,1W)
Average idle noise level: 40,14 dBA

After that the pc keeps running idle for ~50 minutes...
9:30 (41,0 dBA @ 63,3W)
9:31 (41,0 dBA @ 63,3W)
9:32 (40,9 dBA @ 63,4W)
9:33 (41,3 dBA @ 62,6W)
9:34 (41,0 dBA @ 62,6W)
Average idle noise level: 41,04 dBA

After that, I'm not really sure how I should proceed with my FT03-mini built. The idle noise level is too loud for my ears and during full load (while playing a game) it becomes even worse.

Any hints? Maybe also for a silent mini-itx case or do I have to use a different case in a somewhat bigger form-factor?

Just my opinion on this matter...

I have an i3 with a 5770, which draws no where near 450watts (I have the non modular version), and I've noticed that the fan ramps up.

I realized that this was because the poor little guy was intake-ing all the hot air inside my case. Ever since I gave it its own duct that fed it outside air, it is silent.

Perhaps it's the same situation with the FT03-mini. What happens if you just take the PSU out of it's enclosure and let it sit outside while your machine runs? (In other words, give it fresh air instead of having it take the hot air from the inside of the case)

The fan itself is the culprit; it's excessively noisy.

It doesn't look like Silverstone is going to fix the issue in the near future. Your choices are either to return the PSU and try to use a different PSU, or modify the fan like I did.

I have an i3 with a 5770, which draws no where near 450watts (I have the non modular version), and I've noticed that the fan ramps up.

I realized that this was because the poor little guy was intake-ing all the hot air inside my case. Ever since I gave it its own duct that fed it outside air, it is silent.

Perhaps it's the same situation with the FT03-mini. What happens if you just take the PSU out of it's enclosure and let it sit outside while your machine runs? (In other words, give it fresh air instead of having it take the hot air from the inside of the case)

Was not the case for me. No obstructed airflow and still noisy at idle. And no heat in the case to speak of at idle loads.

Anyway, I'm certain Silverstone will come up with a solution. Their products are always associated with good reputation and quality (love their cases!!), so this will probably be resolved too, hopefully soon.

I tried it already before and removed the side wall of my FT03-mini next to the PSU. It becomes cooler, but the fan remain at the same noise level.

I'm kind of puzzled by this. Why would SilverStone design the ST45SF-G with the connectors so far up? When I first tried installing it, I couldn't get the optical drive bracket on and later found out that the 24-pin connector was too high up, preventing the optical drive bracket from sitting completely in where it's supposed to. Only think you can do is flip the ST45SF-G over so its fan is facing the panel right in front of it.

It doesn't look like Silverstone is going to fix the issue in the near future. Your choices are either to return the PSU and try to use a different PSU, or modify the fan like I did.

Here's the thing: I can't hear the fan in my ST45SF-G.

When I suggested you RMA, you said you are proactive and fix it yourself, breaking your warranty. But now you accuse Silverstone of not fixing the issue. But you didn't give them a chance. I think that's a bit unfair.

I'm kind of puzzled by this. Why would SilverStone design the ST45SF-G with the connectors so far up? When I first tried installing it, I couldn't get the optical drive bracket on and later found out that the 24-pin connector was too high up, preventing the optical drive bracket from sitting completely in where it's supposed to. Only think you can do is flip the ST45SF-G over so its fan is facing the panel right in front of it.

Yep. I had a look last night and understand what you mean. It seems like the position and orientation of the modular PCB is wrong. It's like it's upside down compared to the ideal positioning for the SG05 and FT03-mini. Which should be their biggest target market. Maybe someone at the factory read the design drawing incorrectly :(

Hi guys, just to let you all know that we are closely monitoring any RMA that comes back to us. But I do want to remind you again that ST45SF-G does have higher idle fan speed than ST45SF due to tighter package and fan location. Below are fan speed curve of the two PSUs overlapped to illustrate this:

Fan%20speed%20curve%20comparison%20with%20ST45SF-G%20&%20ST45SF.jpg

Hi guys, just to let you all know that we are closely monitoring any RMA that comes back to us.

So it is correct to recommend RMA when a customer experiences unreasonable fan noise. Thanks for letting us know, Tony.

Hi guys, just to let you all know that we are closely monitoring any RMA that comes back to us. But I do want to remind you again that ST45SF-G does have higher idle fan speed than ST45SF due to tighter package and fan location. Below are fan speed curve of the two PSUs overlapped to illustrate this:

Fan%20speed%20curve%20comparison%20with%20ST45SF-G%20&%20ST45SF.jpg

Tony, what about the issue with the 24-pin connector on the ST45SF-G being too high, thus preventing us from using the optical drive bracket if the ST45SF-G is oriented so its fan is facing the motherboard in the FT03-Mini?

Tony, what about the issue with the 24-pin connector on the ST45SF-G being too high, thus preventing us from using the optical drive bracket if the ST45SF-G is oriented so its fan is facing the motherboard in the FT03-Mini?

For Ft03mini and SG05/06 it would also be more convenient anyway if the ATX24 was on the bottom, and the EPS8 on the right side, and the PCIe on the left side. It definitely seems like the modular PCB should have been rotated 180 degrees for ideal cable placement. In the SG05 you can rotate the whole PSU to solve this, but in the FT03mini you cannot because the fan would otherwise be up against the closed side panel and starved of airflow.

My guess would be that Silverstone does not produce power supplies. They just order some parts from an OEM and put a sticker on it. That's actually very normal way of doing business.

If they had made their own I'm sure they would have optimized it for use in their Silverstone SG08 and Silverstone FT03 mini case.

.... In the SG05 you can rotate the whole PSU to solve this....

I just installed an ST45SF-G in an SG05, replacing the original 450W PSU. The SG05 structural part that positions the cable end of the PSU must be removed - the part blocks the modular connectors of the ST45SF-G.

I installed the ST45SF-G right side up, fan on the bottom. If I were to do it again, I might install the PSU upside down, fan on top. Heat rises from the circuit board. Fan on top seems appropriate.

I think Silverstone needs to redesign the SG05 for the ST45SF-G. It's not a direct replacement given the slight obstruction of the optical drive tray, the tight fit of the modular connectors against the hard drive cage, and the removal of the structural part.

Harry

Heat rises from the circuit board. Fan on top seems appropriate.

The original design of the SG05 and FT03-mini is that the PSU is the exhaust fan. That's why it's packaged fan down.

Maybe Jacob666 has it right. The gold PSU is a new design manufactured by Enhance, while the bronze ST45SF was made by FSP specifically as an upgrade for the older SG05-300W PSU. Perhaps the new supplier just didn't take the original target cases into account as much as the previous supplier.

Givent that a company ordering a new product through an OEM provides specifications, I don't see how the OEM would just give isomething back in response and say "oh we thought you wanted it this way, not that way." I'm sure everything is reviewed and agreed upon, with sample models for review, prior to a full manufacturing process.

Yes of course you are right, there will have been lots of specifications. Well but I'm not sure how it is exactly in the PSU fabrication industry, but in the industry I work for there is a back-and-forth which takes hundreds of complex documents, thousands of man hours. You say "we want A", they say, "that will affect B and C and cost D." Still at the end after all the negotiations, you have to agree "we've achieved 20 of the 30 things on the priority list, this will have to do for now."

So I mean, the priority for Enhance was to make a gold modular SFX unit, and not necessarily to adhere to previous specifications agreed with FSP.

It is entirely possible and is probably how negotiations work in this field. In the end, however, the agreement still has to be made on whether the end-product is satisfactory for the party who orders its production. So I make my conclusions based on that fact. If compromises had to be made, it still doesn't make much sense for them to have been made in such a way that would compromise compatibility with another in-house product the new product is partially marketed for.

This is all highly theoretical and uses a lot of "if's". I'm just writing it out to illustrate how the argument of the new manufacturer only goes so far to justify the outcome.

Question to people with the FT03-mini:
What if you turn the psu 180°, and then cut a hole in the side of the cabinet, so the fan could work as an intake and take cold air thru the psu, instead of the already hot air, it would be somewhat cooler. Maybe reduce the noise a bit?

Here's the thing: I can't hear the fan in my ST45SF-G.

When I suggested you RMA, you said you are proactive and fix it yourself, breaking your warranty. But now you accuse Silverstone of not fixing the issue. But you didn't give them a chance. I think that's a bit unfair.

Whoa hold on a sec. I knowingly broke my warranty, and I never accused Silverstone of not fixing the issue. I simply said that it looks like they won't be fixing the issue anytime soon. It's the fan that's at fault, I ran it outside the PSU on a fan controller and it's just an excessively noisy fan, no matter what the speed is. Considering that the PSU was just released, I don't think that the fan will get swapped out for a more silent one anytime soon. And I need a working, quiet PSU now, not in 2 weeks, not in a month, but now. Even a RMA will take several days, and will leave me without a computer in the meantime. Hence why I took matters into my own hands.

And kudos to you if you can't hear the fan, but I could and it was the loudest noise maker by far. It all depends on your ambient; if you live next to a train station, even a Delta fan at full speed would be inaudible. I happen to live up a mountain where the sound of the grass rustling in the wind is the loudest sound I can hear at night.

Last edited:

Let me rephrase then :)

Yours is noisy, but how are you sure that all the DFB801512H's included in all the SF45SF-G are noisy? Please take the time to send your fan as a test sample to Silverstone and maybe it will help them to identify any problems with production, or at least evaluate the user-experience. What I meant about giving them a chance, is that without RMAs they don't have any way to measure objectively the subjective feedback on forums like this.

Let me rephrase then :)

Yours is noisy, but how are you sure that all the DFB801512H's included in all the SF45SF-G are noisy? Please take the time to send your fan as a test sample to Silverstone and maybe it will help them to identify any problems with production, or at least evaluate the user-experience. What I meant about giving them a chance, is that without RMAs they don't have any way to measure objectively the subjective feedback on forums like this.

I can't prove that all the fans are noisy, but likewise, can you prove that all the fans are silent? There have been several people in this thread alone who have mentioned that the fan is noisy, and I have no reason to believe that their experience is any different than mine. Also, see this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddiOecWEQo&t=5m36s

If you turn the volume up, you can clearly hear the fan noise as a WHRRR sound and not just wind. It sounds soft in the video, but when you have the computer 2 feet from your ear, the sound is definitely noticeable.

can you prove that all the fans are silent?

I'm not trying to prove that. I believe yours is noisy and I believe mine is silent.

If I turn that video up then it indeed sounds like that fan is rubbing on something. Is yours exactly like that? Does orientation matter? Does it get worse with load?

Anyone who's opened up this thing know if there is a debug port to pull temperatures from any thermal diodes in there?

I'm thinking about converting to a silenx 80x15, but don't know what the static pressure of that fan is, so don't know if it will cut the mustard. This fan is easily the loudest thing in my case (including the gtx670 4gb at full bore) and it needs to go or I will lose my sanity.

I want to do my best in helping to find a more silent fan for this power supply :D

So we have the figures of the stock fan: 80x80x15mm.
Static Pressure: 2.38mmH2O
Airflow: 30 CFM
Noise at 12V: 34.6 dBA
RPM's at 12V: 3000

So what we need to find is something that has similar or better pressure and airflow.
Using the above suggestions from newark, we have the following viable options:

1. The NMB 3106KL-04W-B40.
Airflow: 28.2 CFM
Static pressure: 2.29mmH2O
Noise at 12V: 30dBA
RPM's at 12V: 2600

In theory, at full blast, this fan is going to be less noisy than the stock fan. Static pressure is near identical so that is one box ticked. The only "problem" I see is that it has less airflow. Less airflow at full blast, means there is less airflow at lower rpm's. Means the PSU might be a bit more hot than with the stock fan. If the PSU has a thermal diode[no current reviews of the PSU analyzed this, and neither of them said if it has a MOV or not] it will spin up the fan closer to it's full blast rpm at lower loads than the stock fan. So even though at full rpm it is better than the stock fan in terms of noise, there is a possibility that this fan will always be closer to it's full rpm, hence closer to 30dBA, just like the stock fan.

Now, the second option. Not the SanyoDenki that matt9669 suggested, but it's bigger brother. Found it on sanyodenki website. Model No: 109P0812H701. Data:
Airflow: 32.1 CFM
Static pressure: 2.99 mmH2O
Noise at 12V: 31 dBA.
RPM's at 12V: 3100

I guess there is no need for any further analysis, the fan is better in every aspect. Better airflow, better static pressure, slightly lower noise. Hence, in theory, at lower rotational speeds, this fan will be more quiet than the stock one. But it has one drawback: reliability. It has 40.000 hrs MTBF compared to the 50.000 Hrs the other 2 fans have. Might not live up to the 3 year warranty offered.

If anyone can get their hands on these 2 specific fans, it would be great if they can test and tell us if the noise performance is better with them. I would also like to ask the Silverstone Tech Representative if there is any chance that someone at the factory will do their own test with these fans? Because if they prove to make the PSU silent while keeping the temperatures in check as the current fan, then sure they will take the decision of a new Hardware Version that will have the better fan included? :)

Update: I forgot to check Delta fans. I found something similar to the Sanyo Denki. Only problem is I can't find any datasheet on it. Code is AUB0812MB with variations -A-F00 and -A-R00.
Airflow: 31.4 CFM
Static pressure: 2.79mmH2O
Noise at 12V: 31 dBA
RPM's at 12V: 2700

These are the specs according to the search results at http://www.delta-fan.com/. But I am failing to find this specific fan anywhere else. On the official delta website, the AUB series don't have the slim 15mm version. So I am quite puzzled if the specs that are floating around about it are fake. Google helped me find one for sale on ebay, and it has 0.17A rating instead of the 0.12A listed on that website.

Last edited:
Rocozaur: good analysis, but remember that CFM and noise measurements are made with no airflow restrictions, while this PSU has some very irregular shaped obstacles inside which can affect how a fan performs.

By the way, I just wrote a post in the sleeving subforum at OCN about how the modular connectors are mirrored. If you anyone is planning to buy this PSU to do custom sleeving with, then maybe read my complaints first before you buy: http://www.overclock.net/t/1307713/bad-modular-design-silverstone-st45sf-g

Rocozaur: good analysis, but remember that CFM and noise measurements are made with no airflow restrictions, while this PSU has some very irregular shaped obstacles inside which can affect how a fan performs.

That is precisely why some PSU still use that plastic sheet to direct the airflow in the proper places. However, how much airflow needs to get there is still derived from the official specs of the fan. And that is what I did analyze by looking at the spec sheet. But indeed you are right. And that only does one thing: Add another reason for the 2 fans to be tested with the ST45SF-G :D

Regarding the sleeving, darn, that is quite a mishap. But I do think that the cables are not the culprit. But the modular connector from the PSU. Or maybe, neither is to blame :)

222556ruu8ynnnpuzi9liu.jpg

How are these connectors ever going to go straight 1 to 1 pin out into the motherboard connector since the motherboard one is exactly similar, but flipped?

Conn_atx_24_power.gif

Pin 16 is the green wire. I am looking right now at your own picture from OCN. Let's follow it. In the upper center right hand side on the upper end of your cable. Correct. Now to enter the MB properly, the Green wire has to sit in the center lower left at the end of the modular connector. And that is exactly what is happening. So there is no issue with the connection between the PSU and the MB, as in the wires are not mirrored due to a design flaw :)
80cf4fbd_st45sf-g-4.jpeg

I'm not trying to prove that. I believe yours is noisy and I believe mine is silent.

If I turn that video up then it indeed sounds like that fan is rubbing on something. Is yours exactly like that? Does orientation matter? Does it get worse with load?

Yes, my fan sounded exactly like that one. Orientation did not matter, I tried it mostly in a vertical position to simulate how it would be inside the case but I also tested it horizontally. I tested it with the jumper trick on the 24-pin ATX connector, so load was practically 0. There's also quite a bit of room between the fan and the components underneath it, so I don't think it's caused by rubbing, unless the fan is rubbing on itself somewhere.

I'm of the opinion that it's just a crappy fan =/.

How are these connectors ever going to go straight 1 to 1 pin out into the motherboard connector since the motherboard one is exactly similar, but flipped?

Pin 16 is the green wire. I am looking right now at your own picture from OCN. Let's follow it. In the upper center right hand side on the upper end of your cable. Correct. Now to enter the MB properly, the Green wire has to sit in the center lower left at the end of the modular connector. And that is exactly what is happening. So there is no issue with the connection between the PSU and the MB, as in the wires are not mirrored due to a design flaw :)

Thanks for you explanation. I understand your point that on the PSU side it's exactly the same pinout as on the motherboard side. But I'm not sure how you can draw the conclusion that there is no problem :)

Conn_atx_24_power.gif

So in order to facilitate a good design for modular cables, the pinout was not mirrored but it should be. For ideal situation: the green wire should be at pin 16 on the motherboard side, but at pin 21 on the PSU side. Only then can you sleeve your wires individually and have them connect directly from PSU to motherboard without twisting each row.

I will adjust my post at OCN.

Last edited:
Well, your problem was that the pin-outs were mirrored and thought that it is a design flaw, but it isn't. I was talking specifically about the connector, the wire. :)

The problem is indeed that they used a standard 24-pin MB connector on the modular board. I believe that the old Silversone PSU's had the pin-outs in the modular board mirrored so it would allow for 1 to 1 pin-outs.

Darn, why is the image not avalible from chiphell anymore? :( I used that one since the one at Silverstone website is of low quality and the pin-outs from the modular board weren't properly visible.

Back