• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silverstone FT05 | CES 2014

Are blower style GPU coolers still recommended for this type of internal layout?

I doubt it ever mattered with the 90 degree rotated motherboard case layout that Silverstone has been using for a while now. There is so much positive pressure and massive fans blowing right on the GPU's that there will be next to zero stagnant air. It will simply be forced out the top through the vented blank PCI slots or any of the dozens of holes in the top.
 
The Raven RV05 should be out soon, it finally appeared on Silverstone's website. Exact same internal layout as the FT05, but different exterior styling.

http://silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV05&area=en&top=C

One thing I noticed is the GPU size restriction...12.3"/312mm...in other words the FT05 and RV05 will fit the largest graphics cards out there...including the massive AMD R9 HD 295x2 at 307mm.


Hopefully this means the FT05 is not far behind.

Tony Ou, can you give us any new info on the FT05?
 
Last edited:
I love my FT-02, but I cant stress enough that they named it perfectly, because it is as large as a fortress.

Next to a Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra the FT-02 would look more like a hamlet than a fortress.:cool:
 
Been patiently waiting for the FT05 for my next build. Time to retire my trusty FT-02.
 
Come on Silverstone. Throw us a bone here!

The RV05 and FT05 were shown at Computex 2014, but only the RV05 has been put on the Silverstone website.

http://www.hwbox.gr/news-cases/36700-hwbox-computex-2014-silverstone-booth.html
Website in Greek, have your translator handy.

2195-albums429-picture28583.JPG



Tony Ou, any updates on the FT05 and RV05 availabilty?
 
The Fortress has always come about 1-2 months later.

It would still be nice for someone at silverstone to report that so a website may mention in the news.

I'm itchin to get this case now, got money burning a hole in my pocket.
 
I saw a Computex video on youtube where it said the AP182's are being replaced with AP181's to save costs and the price will likely be near $200 now. I'll dig for it and post it here if I find it.

Here it is, look around the 19:00m mark.
 
Last edited:
I saw a Computex video on youtube where it said the AP182's are being replaced with AP181's to save costs and the price will likely be near $200 now. I'll dig for it and post it here if I find it.

Here it is, look around the 19:00m mark.

That's stupid if true. The Fortress line is the premium line, I wanted the knob control provided by the AP182s.

Tony will Silverstone provide a more expensive version of the FT05 that comes with AP182s?
 
That's stupid if true. The Fortress line is the premium line, I wanted the knob control provided by the AP182s.

Tony will Silverstone provide a more expensive version of the FT05 that comes with AP182s?

Not that I'm a buyer, but if I was, I wouldn't buy this case without the 182's.
Two of them separately will cost almost $80.
 
What a joke by Silverstone. I love how the rep says, "We think the customer will appreciate the cost savings."

No, no we won't. If we wanted to save money, we'd buy the RV05. Put the AP182s back in the FT05 please.
 
What a joke by Silverstone. I love how the rep says, "We think the customer will appreciate the cost savings."

No, no we won't. If we wanted to save money, we'd buy the RV05. Put the AP182s back in the FT05 please.

I think those on the bubble will appreciate it, despite your view to the contrary and my view that would agree with your view.

200+ dollar cases are steep entry point. I am sure SS is looking at any way possible to bring down the cost of entry and the allow people to 'option up' their cases as they see fit/can afford.

Its a game of numbers and SS thinks the numbers work better this way for them this way. Now, if they are going to talk savings, lets see some numbers though. I dont want to find out I can save $20 on a case by giving up $80 in fans. Although, I have already purchased one AP-182 for my FT-02, so I would only need one more....
 
I would have been happy with a brushed plastic version at the same price as the RV05 but then it wouldn't have been a Fortress case, I guess.
 
What a joke by Silverstone. I love how the rep says, "We think the customer will appreciate the cost savings."

No, no we won't. If we wanted to save money, we'd buy the RV05. Put the AP182s back in the FT05 please.

I want an AP182 that doesn't rely on that proprietary knob.
 
I want an AP182 that doesn't rely on that proprietary knob.
I agree. However this case is completely lacking 5.25" bays, so any fan controller you would install would have to be on a PCI bracket or modded to fit elsewhere in the case. A proprietary solution like the AP-182 wouldn't be giving up much, especially since the AP-182 control knobs would be bolt on replacements and fit where the old switches from the AP-181's go. Replacing the AP-181's with 182's on the FT02 and RV02 worked the same way.
 
There are more than a few controllers that don't rely on 5.25" bays, that's what I was getting at. If another vendor made 180's worth using it would be a different story, but we're kind of stuck with what Silverstone is offering because the alternatives are junk.
 
I believe the case will also take 3X120's or 2X140's so one could possibly "downgrade" a little. An outboard fan controller could be used but then you are making an already expensive case even more expensive.
 
FYI, I just email Silverstone asking about the FT05 release date. They replied the same day saying, "FT05 will be available in USA around end of Aug."
 
I messaged Silverstone on Facebook about the FT05 and an AP182 version, they said there are no plans for one.

So we'll need to order the fans extra :/
 
I messaged Silverstone on Facebook about the FT05 and an AP182 version, they said there are no plans for one.

So we'll need to order the fans extra :/

Kaching! I think I would rather order two very good 140mm or three very good 120mm.
 
Silverstone just messaged me with this on Facebook (pretty cool of them to keep me updated even though I didn't ask)

"An update on the AP182 and the FT05. You have to remove the cap from the knob on the control module so the panel can be closed."

Not sure what that means? We can't control the speed when using them in the FT05?
 
Silverstone just messaged me with this on Facebook (pretty cool of them to keep me updated even though I didn't ask)

"An update on the AP182 and the FT05. You have to remove the cap from the knob on the control module so the panel can be closed."

Not sure what that means? We can't control the speed when using them in the FT05?

It means the cap on the speed dial protrudes too much from the surface of the case for the panel to close. Technically you can still control the speed, but it'll be more difficult.
 
Wow, major fail by Silverstone.

Their own fans don't work in their new case? What a joke lol
 
Last edited:
Ouch! I suppose you could still mount it in an empty expansion slot but then you would have to remove the whole top cover to control the speed.
 
I guess just say forget it and use the AP181's that come with it :/
 
It means the cap on the speed dial protrudes too much from the surface of the case for the panel to close. Technically you can still control the speed, but it'll be more difficult.

AP182 will work perfectly in the FT05, the shinny plastic cap on the speed control knob is just for decoration. It will not make it more difficult to control AP182's fan speed without it.
 
If there's space for slim optical drive behind mobo does it mean running cable on the back of case won't be problematic like in FT2/RV2 ?
 
If there's space for slim optical drive behind mobo does it mean running cable on the back of case won't be problematic like in FT2/RV2 ?

Our goal with RV05/FT05 is to make them as compact as possible while still fitting large CPU cooler and graphics cards so they won't have over-abundant room for cables when compared to larger cases, however, there should be enough to not create problems.
 
Tony Ou,

Any update on availability of the RV05 and FT05?

Also, the RV05 appears to have a slide out tray for fan filters. Does the FT05 have the same?
 
Hopefully this means reviews soon. The Raven would have been my choice (given the proposed pricing of the FT05) had the styling not been so agressive. Maybe it looks better in person.
 
AP182 will work perfectly in the FT05, the shinny plastic cap on the speed control knob is just for decoration. It will not make it more difficult to control AP182's fan speed without it.

Difficult in the sense that it's more difficult to grab a post of smaller diameter than the cap that goes around it and the index mark on the cap itself telling you where the knob is pointed. Guess it depends on your dexterity.
 
Hey Tony,

Are the fan filters in the FT05 based on the ones in the FT02 or have they been updated with the "high flow" mesh (~10% airflow loss per your words) from the FT04?

Also, do the FF142 and FF143 filters use the same mesh? I'm thinking of re-doing the filters for my FT02.
 
Hello
Do you know if if the FT05 will have the same number of 3.5" hard drive slots than the RV05 ?
I am very interested in this case, but 2 slots is not enough for me...
 
Tony Ou,

Also, the RV05 appears to have a slide out tray for fan filters. Does the FT05 have the same?

FT05's filter is not on a slide out tray, but on a frame with magnets. This can still be easily removed externally.


Hey Tony,

Are the fan filters in the FT05 based on the ones in the FT02 or have they been updated with the "high flow" mesh (~10% airflow loss per your words) from the FT04?

Also, do the FF142 and FF143 filters use the same mesh? I'm thinking of re-doing the filters for my FT02.

The high flow mesh used in the RV04/FT04 is more fragile so we've decided not to use it in RV05/FT05 because users lifting the case may accidentally puncture them. This is not a problem in RV04/FT04 because the filters are behind a front door. RV05/FT05 instead has our "ultra fine" filter that is used in our retail FF123 and FF143 fan filters. These are more restrictive than high flow filters, but still very good and is much stronger.

The FF142 uses the older standard mesh (same as the ones used in FT02), so no, it is different from the FF143.

Hello
Do you know if if the FT05 will have the same number of 3.5" hard drive slots than the RV05 ?
I am very interested in this case, but 2 slots is not enough for me...

Sorry to disappoint you, but FT05 will also have 2 x 3.5" slots (and 2 x 2.5" slots) just like the RV05. We consider ourselves one of the best in designing case to utilize space effectively (lots of experience with SFF and HTPC cases) so please believe me that there isn't room for additional 3.5" slots unless we compromise space for other components.
 
Thank you for your answer Tony. I believe it's to make place for 3 graphic cards...
That's sad for me.
 
Back
Top