SilenX 450watt, reliability and stability?

jay1227

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
305
I picked up a SilenX 450w brand new for $50 from a friend who decided against using it. I have an Aspire X-Qpack and other parts coming in tommorrow. Ive had bad luck with crummy PSUs and want to make sure this will do okay for powering my components and not screwing them up..

BIOSTAR TForce 6100 S939
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice E3 @ 2.4GHz
2x512MB PNY Optima DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-7
WD 120GB EIDE 7200RPM
eVGA 7800GT 256MB N516 PCI-E
Lite-On DVDRW

Im guessing that 450W would be a good rating, but what about the quality of the PSU? Ive heard that not all 450W are really 450W...

Discuss. Thanks for your help.
 
It's Fortron built... very good quality, but I'm not sure exactly which model SilenX used. Fortron doesn't make a 450w PSU. This is likely one of their 400w models. Not sure how well it will handle your system, but it might be worth a try... the 12v rating is just high enough to power things. If in doubt, monitor the 12v and 5v with a multimeter under load and see if either run out of spec.
 
I think they're overpriced Fortrons with the fan switched out. For $50, it should be okay... though it only meets ATX12V v1.3 spec (I think).
 
Back
Top