• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silent Water pump/res combo?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Starting my custom build and I wanted to get the pump/res combo purchase out of the way.. I can do a single 5 1/4 bay style or the stand up tube style. Looking for a pump with speed control and long life while also not trying to break the bank.. under 150 would be ideal! Thanks for any advice. I will be using a 360 and 280 radiator in a single loop to cool my cpu and GTX 980ti. I assume 1/2" line will be used and best?
 
1/2" ID? That's waayy overkill. I use 3/8" ID (probably 1/2" OD) and that's a bit overboard.

I personally haven't found a pump that is "silent". I use a 655 and I wouldn't want it in my case.... I have it in my cellar where I can't hear it. :)

So I can say probably not a 655! It's not bad slowed down, but still not what I would call silent.
 
1/2" ID? That's waayy overkill. I use 3/8" ID (probably 1/2" OD) and that's a bit overboard.

I personally haven't found a pump that is "silent". I use a 655 and I wouldn't want it in my case.... I have it in my cellar where I can't hear it. :)

So I can say probably not a 655! It's not bad slowed down, but still not what I would call silent.

From what I have read the D5 PWM is probably the best option.. I also read 3/8" ID is fine for what I want to do. It's damn expesive to build this setup.. ~500$ to do what I want and taht is without the waterblock because I cant find one for my card yet.
 
I use 1/2" ID 3/4" OD because I like the look of larger tubing. 3/8" ID 5/8" OD would be the most functional, as the thicker wall allows it to make tighter curves without kinking.

655 PWM with something that mounts it to a rubber base, so that the rubber can dampen the vibrations from the pump would be your best bet.
 
D5 pump.

There is a waterblock available for your card. It uses a reference pcb like mines, so any reference titan x/980ti blocks fit.
 
D5 either PWM or the vario version will work well. You will find that there will be a speed setting somewhere that has the lowest noticeable noise. The noise isn't very loud, but it changes its pattern/intensity with the speed and depending upon your case accoustics some settings may be nearly unnoticeable.

I would say that the absolute most quiet pump will be something like an Eheim 1046, those are a bit harder to use in a loop these days. The Aqua computer Aquastream pumps are modified Eheim pumps though and would be in my estimation the most quiet mainstream pump. They are expensive though, and I don't think worth the premium over the D5 especially considering the D5 is a better pump.
 
Back
Top