Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by fullvietFX, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Amongst other things, Mantle greatly reduces wasted CPU time drawing graphics and can also balance the load across all available CPU threads, so yes Intel CPU users will benefit as long as you have a supported AMD graphics card.

2. Loading

Loading Gawd

Fuck. I read your post and decided to download Civ 5 again. Went searching for the Game of Thrones 'mod'. What the fuck. THAT IS NOT A MOD--ITS NOT AWESOME EITHER. Fuck.

It's a map. It's a Game of Thrones map. It's a map that has a couple different city names, bullshit leader 'screens' a couple different units/buildings and a map that's locking out more then half the game. Why in the fuck would a map that locks half the game be in any way awesome?!

Others, do not get fooled by this Tomfoolery. I suspect it is a prank by some troll trying to get peoples hopes up. Certainly worked on me. Followed by much disappointment.

3. Pez

Pez [H]ard|Gawd

For those not thrilled by the new Civ, there are other recent options:
    - Pandora: First Contact (+ DLC)
    - Endless Legend

Both have their pro's and con's, but I was able to get some enjoyment out of both.

Honestly, I need to load up DosBox, and get some original Colonization going. Or even the free java remake, FreeCol.

4. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

http://www.gog.com/game/deadlock_planetary_conquest

5. techie81

techie81 [H]ard for [H]ardware

Just a reminder, this game comes out tomorrow in NA.

Here is a lets explore video by Marbozir he goes through the start of the game.

6. Wildace

Wildace [H]ardness Supreme

i have it pre loaded, never really played much of the civ series.

7. quadnad

quadnad [H]ardness Supreme

reviews look positive, though less glowing than historical entries. Anyone know of popular deals going around? GMG coupons?

8. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

GMG 25% off was the best one... unless you're not afraid of russian keys. :p

9. techie81

techie81 [H]ard for [H]ardware

10. Seelenlos

Seelenlos [H]ard|Gawd

TB did a wtf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydX8R2xxe4

After watching it and others I think the game looks good. I'm on the fence as to getting it right now. Watching the different videos made me want to play alpha centauri again rather than spend money on this.

Would love to hear some comparisons from all here who have played both.

11. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

The GMG VIP sale price looks like the best deal to get Beyond Earth next to AMD game codes.

Also looks like Stream also JUST added Steam overlay functionality to Mantle for this release.

Getting harder and harder to resist...

12. Mak54291

Mak54291 Gawd

I think hes wtf are much better than written review around. I did not watch it completely but I'm sure this new civ will be good even if it doesn't bring a lot of new stuff compare to the 5. At midnight I'm playing this, already preloaded.

13. quadnad

quadnad [H]ardness Supreme

14. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

15. martinje

martinje [H]ard|Gawd

I have it on pre-order through gameagent. Thats run through Aspyr and they are the ones porting the Linux client. The only draw-back it's coming after the windows release.

16. CEpeep

CEpeep [H]ardness Supreme

I'd never order it through anything but Steam after the mess on the Mac App Store with Civ 5, personally. Let us know how it goes though, especially after DLC starts coming out for it.

17. Loading

Loading Gawd

Just got it through Greenman Gamings vip dealy thingy. (You don't have to be a vip or anything, I just signed up.)

Probably give it one or two play throughs then wait for expansions.

18. Wildace

Totally forgot it was a mantle title, maybe that is why i pre orderd it in the first place lol.

I bought it with Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sims 4 when i used my 25% off loyalty voucher month or so ago, which think were all listed as mantle titles. not sure the sims ever delivered on mantle support at least not at release. not that it needed it lol.

i have a 30% off voucher for GMG for Civ Beyond earth and a 25% off loyalty one both expire on the 31st, and i have no plans to use them for my self. heh.

19. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

BE having Mantle support is the big reason I'm even considering getting this at launch. As much as I like Civ. V the waiting near endgame gets really tedious. Plus Mantle games are just so damn smooth.

Also got that 30% voucher...

20. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

Are the vouchers transferable? If you're not going to use the voucher, how about sending it my way? I'll definitely put it to good use :D

21. Wildace

they are not transferable, but i have no problem buying beyond earth for you with it and giving you the steam key, and then you just paypal me the cost, 30% off one should put the game at $35

22. mtbush

mtbush 2[H]4U

23. I have the same problem on my 144hz monitor :/

24. NotJay

NotJay 2[H]4U

game won't even launch for me what the fuck

25. AceCR42

AceCR42 2[H]4U

Works fine here. Fullscreen 1920x1080 144Hz in Mantle.

26. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

27. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

I would love to take you up on that but after being screwed over by paypal before I will never use it again.

28. Wildace

Yeah, luckily i have not had any issues with paypal.

I just used the 30% off code for someone here in the forums.

They keep throwing vouchers at me tho,

I still have that 25% off one thats good until the 31st, and using that 30% one on Beyond earth they just sent me another 23% off voucher that is good until the 30th.

29. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

Played for about two hours this morning.
    The game setup is a weak - you can only configure difficulty, map size and the faction bonuses. No way to change the number of AI opponents.

30. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Seriously what the fuck? This game just took a huge step backwards for me.

31. ikarinokami

ikarinokami Gawd

this game is making me appericiate the genius of Brian Reynolds even more as well making his fall to the dark side even more painful.

32. NickJames

I think they are trying too hard to make Civilization widely acceptable. Fuck that, give me a difficult game that makes me think. Also what the fuck is with the resolution issue? I can't use my ROG Swift because this game doesn't support 144hz monitors properly, FUCK!

33. ob1

ob1 2[H]4U

I'm a pretty big civ player in general, but when civ5 came out, it had tons of problems. I mean it was nearly unplayable for some. I would expect this one to be the same or worse, as that seems to be the general direction of game releases lately.

34. Mungojerrie

Mungojerrie [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for using the 30% one on it for me. I was on the fence for this game for full price because I fully expect it to be a lesser Civ game, but for 35$ I figured what the hell.

35. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry, my bad. There's not so obvious "Advanced Setup" on the last page of the game setup.

"Advanced Setup button in the upper right, gives you many more customizable options
    when creating your game.
    You can, for instance, add the exact number of AI players you wish, choose Map size, dominant terrain and climate, change Victory types allowed, and many, many other specific details"

36. NickJames

*phew* you almost made me regret my purchase. Now if they would FIX THE GOD DAMN RESOLUTION ISSUE!

37. bloodhawke83

bloodhawke83 I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

38. bloodhawke83

bloodhawke83 I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

39. AceCR42

AceCR42 2[H]4U

Honestly no idea why I'm not getting this problem, when it seems like almost everyone else is. Check it out (it's fullscreen):

[​IMG]

For reference, I'm running Windows 8.1, ASUS VG248QE and 290X.

40. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm using Win 8.1, R9 290, two monitors - one 1920x1080x144Hz primary, one 1920x1200x60Hz secondary. The max resolution I see available in full screen mode if 1600x1050x144Hz.
    1920x1200 is only available in windowed mode (with ugly borders).

edit: Tried to modify GraphicsSettings.ini, but it does not do anything, still 1600x1050.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014