• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Shuttle ST20G5 Modding

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
6,176
I have an old ST20G5 that I've turned into a secondary computer as a sort of backup box. The problem with it is that it gets crazy warm and when it goes into sleep mode, the fan ramps up like crazy. I'm wondering what kind of mods I can do to it to keep it cooler and quieter?

ST20G5
AMD x2 Chip (Cant remember what it is exactly)
2GB Ram
1x DVD-ROM/Burner
1x 1TB Caviar Black
x800XL
Unused PCI slot that's currently occupied by a trendnet lan card (was originally going to be a smoothwall box but GF needed a computer)

I'm thinking the GFX is probably the hottest thing in the box. So I figure maybe cutting a side panel and fitting it with an acrylic window with holes to allow adequate air flow.

I also thought of either a 120mm blow hole on top to push hot air out and somehow adding another 120mm on the back of the case but not sure how to attach it...any ideas?
 
your shuttle is similar to mine. s21g5. I want to see pic after you have done your mod
 
space is going to be a big problem with the G5 case. 120mm top fan might be somewhat of a waste since the dvd drive is mostly in the way. I think the fan would have to be mounted on the outside of the case to fit.
 
space is going to be a big problem with the G5 case. 120mm top fan might be somewhat of a waste since the dvd drive is mostly in the way. I think the fan would have to be mounted on the outside of the case to fit.

I've got a pretty good plan on how I'm going to do this.

I don't use a DVD drive since I install everything through USB so it's not too big of an issue. I'm going to use this hopefully http://www.mnpctech.com/blowholefan.html but I haven't gone home to measure the exact measurements yet. Probably going to use a scythe gentle typhoon or a yate loon.

Going to replace the original ICE fan with a scythe Kama PWM fan. I might do a push pull with another 92 or a 120mm fan adapter.

For the side I'm probably going to use some modder's mesh on the PSU side to give it some adequate airflow on that side and either a window or modder's mesh as well on the GPU side.

What do you guys think?
 
Back
Top