Shuttle SD36G5M - best dual core CPU to get?

AARGH!

Gawd
I have a Shuttle SD36G5M that currently has the following:

P4 641 (3.2Ghz/800mhz Cedar Mill)
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 (PC2 5300)

Supports the following:

PROCESSOR
· Intel LGA 775 Pentium D / Pentium 4
· 1066/800/533 MHz FSB
· Dual Core CPU support
· 64-bit enabled
CHIPSET
· Intel 945G + ICH7-DH chipset

When I built it, the single core was all I could afford. Looking to get a Dual Core chip for it (forgot it actually could take one) and was wondering what's the best choice considering it's in a Shuttle so considerations for heat output is a concern, but want to get some more life out of the bad boy. If I have to upgrade memory as well, not a concern if it has to be done. Just as an fyi here is the rest of the build:

EVGA 8600GT SuperClocked (recent addition)
AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Sound Card
300 Gig Hard Drive
Sony DVD-Rom
14 in 1 Card reader

THANKS!

I just looked at shuttle's page for your barebones and it mentions Pentium D/ Pentium 4, it also mentions "Dual Core CPU support" (Pentium D?) but does not mention Core 2.

This is a 945 chipset, some take the Core, some don't, ask Shuttle to make sure.

Core2 Duos have a Thermal envelope of around 65W, Pentium 4's are at 115W, so any Core2 you get will be cooler than your 641.
If you are looking at Newegg, Allendale and Conroe are Core2, Pressler is Pentium D.

Don't think that Shuttle's motherboard can take anything better than the Intel Pentium 4 D dual cores. No support for Conroe, like C2D's. It's not something that can really be bios flashed to work, a hardware revision is needed.

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/93020/ <--- message #13

945 isn’t officially supported, but it can work with some hardware modifications. However, we have no plans for a v2 motherboard for the SD36G5.

You're probably looking at one of the 9XX series Pentium D's. They can be had pretty cheap.

Back