Shuttle K45 Build

But is Celeron 420 1.6GHz enough for all processes like for example playing dvd or blue ray movies?

DVD will be easy to play. My 600 MHz Celeron could do it so I'd think a 1.6 GHz Celeron should be just fine for DVD. Blu Ray will probably need more power, I think C2D e6400 is the minimum for that kind of stuff. If you had a video card that decoded Blu Ray like a 8 series nVidia or 2000 series ATi card then the Celeron could probably do it.

DVD will be easy to play. My 600 MHz Celeron could do it so I'd think a 1.6 GHz Celeron should be just fine for DVD. Blu Ray will probably need more power, I think C2D e6400 is the minimum for that kind of stuff. If you had a video card that decoded Blu Ray like a 8 series nVidia or 2000 series ATi card then the Celeron could probably do it.

DVD is easy.

Blu Ray would be impossible without using a Quad (which isn't supported).

The "best" PCI graphics card for a KPC is going to be the 2400 Pro or a 8400GS both of which can't really do Blu Ray smooth enough.

Has anyone swapped the PSU fan or altogether changed the PSU?

Its not a standard Flex PSU, I'm guessing.

Thanks!

I've done the fan replacement and it does make it a lot quieter. I'm looking for a PSU replacement though. Shuttle offers a fanless external PSU, but it cost more then I paid for the KPC itself and its hard to find.

Let us know how it works out. How do you plan to mod to make it fit? Fan replacement?

Older thread, but figured I'd bump here rather than start a new one:

Anyone try just removing the PSU fan and running it fanless on the K45? That thing is too loud, and moves so little air.

Changing the fan - any other recommendations beside the scythe mini?

Buy a Sparkle PSU, it has temperture controlled fan and is a bit quieter than the stock Shuttle one.
A friend bought one for $40 somewhere.

labelpk0.jpg

insidevo5.jpg

Doesn't have to be this model. Or you could take apart the OEM PSU and just direct a large fan at it from inside the case. I'm guessing a 45 has much less stuff than a standard G5 case inside because it's not built to be a gaming/performance machine as well. I've fit all sorts of wierd stuff in my G5, people have even put watercooling in there. You can find some kind of solution...

Thanks. Replacing the PSU is always an option, but I was hoping to avoid spending $40 to quiet this beast - $10 for a couple 40mm fans may have to be my first try. And when it doesn't work, then I'll have spent $50 ($10 + $40) to finally do it right. :D

What are you guys using the K45 for? Any setup pictures?

I connected mines to the tv, but don't really use it. The PSU is so loud... I wouldn't even want to turn it on.

Any idea if a HD4850 will fit in this thing (yes I know that it only has PCI and a power supply that isn't sufficient)?

I know that...I stated that in my post. I just care whether or not the case is long enough.

Nope. The case is a bit too short for it, the tail end and the power plug part bump right into the front of the case.

I'm going to look into that sparkle PSU. My Shuttle PSU died and I void the warranty when I did the fan replacement. I was running mine 24/7 as a domain controller and file server. It only lasted like 4 months before it died.

I'm not sure if its worth it though, I only paid $50 for the shuttle AR. I'm wondering how energy efficient one of those little atom pc's would be. I don't need a powerful server.

I know that...I stated that in my post. I just care whether or not the case is long enough.

What are you intending to do? If you just want a tiny case to mod, keep an eye out on ebay for Shuttle G cases (like an old G2 system for cheap) and mod it. Not sure what kind of board you would use though.

What are you intending to do? If you just want a tiny case to mod, keep an eye out on ebay for Shuttle G cases (like an old G2 system for cheap) and mod it. Not sure what kind of board you would use though.

I gutted my KPC and plan getting a Zotac 9300 mITX board for it with a decently fast video card. The case is already a pretty decent one so why not use it? I've replaced the KPC (for now) with a Zotac 7100 mobo until the 9300 comes out. :)

I gutted my KPC and plan getting a Zotac 9300 mITX board for it with a decently fast video card. The case is already a pretty decent one so why not use it? I've replaced the KPC (for now) with a Zotac 7100 mobo until the 9300 comes out. :)
That was pretty much my idea. It is a bit smaller than the SG05, so I figured, why not?

That was pretty much my idea. It is a bit smaller than the SG05, so I figured, why not?

The PSU I'm now using (linked above) is about 7.5 inches and it nearly fills the length of the case; my 4850 was about 9 inches long (IIRC, or it was close to that). Any card under 8 inches should fit though

The PSU I'm now using (linked above) is about 7.5 inches and it nearly fills the length of the case; my 4850 was about 9 inches long (IIRC, or it was close to that). Any card under 8 inches should fit though
Well, I already have the HD4850. I'll probably just get the SG05 if I do finally ditch my P180.

:cool: I never thought about putting a new motherboard in a old shuttle case. I have a sn75g or something of that sort laying around with a good power supply, but bad motherboard!

Thanks for the idea!

:cool: I never thought about putting a new motherboard in a old shuttle case. I have a sn75g or something of that sort laying around with a good power supply, but bad motherboard!

Thanks for the idea!

The Shuttle uses regular mITX mobo mounts (the KPC mobo is just longer then a regular mobo) so it's easy to slip a standard mITX mobo into the case. Other Shuttle XPCs don't support standard mITX mobos.

Otherwise, this is the one I am using in my KPC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500012

Anyone know where I could get some cool pre shaped covers for the K45?

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

I used my for a Beyond TV setup. I have a PVR tv card in mine that I can record tv. I dont notice the PSU fan making any noise.. Mine is really quote all the time.. I have a 120mm fan mounted in the back to keep it cool but its quite too.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

The Shuttle uses regular mITX mobo mounts (the KPC mobo is just longer then a regular mobo) so it's easy to slip a standard mITX mobo into the case. Other Shuttle XPCs don't support standard mITX mobos.

Otherwise, this is the one I am using in my KPC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500012

Cool. That is what I want to do now - canyou please show some pics how this mobo fit in this case? Also - how did you split that front panel cable to plug for power button nd leds?

Back