show off your vid card!!

Ok, I'll do a little timeline here:

1) I got my Powercolor Radeon 9800SE and softmodded it.

2) With stock cooling, I ran it at 410/700.

3) I added homemade staple RAM Sinks to the card. Clocked it to 415/720.

9800SE_ghetto.jpg

9800SE_ghetto2.jpg

4) Shortly after, I removed my staple sinks and replaced them with copper sinks from an old video card. I only had enough to cover one side, so I left the staple sinks on the other side. I was then able to raise my clock to 720.

5) I flashed my card to a Powercolor Radeon 9800XT, and was able to keep my speed stable at 415/730.

6) I went out and bought an AMD CPU Heatsink + Fan, and mounted it onto my video card, spreading epoxy mixed with liquid clear along the shim, and putting thermal paste on the GPU. Core speeds went up to 430. The rubber bands in the first image were only used until the concoction of glue was fully cured.

9800SE_fan.jpg

9800SE_fan3.jpg

9800SE_fanSide.jpg

7) I then added a small fan from a Riva TNT2 core. Final clock with all mods done, 440/735. Doesn't even run hot.

9800SE_fans.JPG

The upcoming changes I am going to make are replacing all the sinks I am currently using, and adding 8 OCZ copper sinks, adding another fan similar to the small one in the last picture to the other side of the heatsink, and finally, voltmodding the card.

·PitBuLL·

nice card mate, good to see those clocks progressing after each mod, great when you know the work youv put in pays off.

you'll be pleased with the results from voltmodding, couldn't believe the gains i made on the core

Originally posted by Apex
You can make a 9800SE flash to be a 9800XT??

Not that I'm aware of, but a 9800XT is basically at heast just a higher clocked 9800Pro, so if you were able to flash your 9800SE to a Pro and then overclock it you could still attain the same performance. Those're the basics of it anyways, sadly it's not quite as simple as just flashing and overclocking it to an XT.....not all cards can handle it as well as others.

you'll be pleased with the results from voltmodding, couldn't believe the gains i made on the core

I've always wanted to give my 9800XT a little more juice.....but not now, I'd want to have some h2O set up first. Sadly enough though that isnt going to happen. By the time I've got the extra cash to buy the water cooling for the video card I'll be getting my next-gen card already so I think I'll just hang though. ;)

Originally posted by Apex
You can make a 9800SE flash to be a 9800XT??

Yes. Basically, I flashed my 9800SE into a Pro and noticed that I was blowing by the default speeds of an XT when overclocking, so I decided to try it out. Taking into consideration that my card is a Powercolor, I decided to flash it with a Powercolor 9800XT BIOS, which went through nicely. Once I rebooted and logged into windows, I noticed that my card was no longer being recognized as a Radeon, and the only way to install the drivers was to force it through add/remove hardware, then use RivaTuner to enable the extra pipelines.

Now the only problem is that the way to make it believe that it's a true 9800XT is to hardmod it, but I have already mounted the CPU Heatsink with epoxy so I think that it's out of the picture.

And fr33ze, was there any tutorial you used that helped you figure out how to voltmod it? I would really like to see.

yeah i used the guides at www.ocfaq.com. tells you everything you need to know, stock voltages, advised maximum voltages, what resistors to use and where to measure voltages, really useful.

...and good luck

do u guys think 100 dollars for a 5900 is a steal?

i do but want the opinon of others

ya its almost new. my friend didnt like it anymore because he was playing far cry and and it would do somthing that he didnt like so he went out and bought a 9800xt. the only thing wrong with it is the heatsink is off because of his water cooler but ill be getting a better one and put it on there. so ok im going to get it.

Originally posted by DRJ1014
ya its almost new. my friend didnt like it anymore because he was playing far cry and and it would do somthing that he didnt like so he went out and bought a 9800xt. the only thing wrong with it is the heatsink is off because of his water cooler but ill be getting a better one and put it on there. so ok im going to get it.

You lucky duck.....I wish I could have gotten a deal like that on my XT. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TommyW
Nice card!!

its an amd heatsink?

Not sure how it could be, I don't see a spot for the clips anywhere, or spaces through the heatsink where the bar might go.

My vote is it's an Intel casat away.

Don't you remember the midget that plays Lisa in the Simpsons episode where Bart becomes Burn's heir?

Originally posted by Lisa Simpson
"That midget taught me alot about his native Estonia."

i used to know someone who lived in estonia, he ran the old subspace (old 2d game) servers

OT:
Kazaa, skype etc are made by our programmers.
Mena suvari's father is estonian, then some rich guy in US, i dont remember his name, who is the owner of skype and made hotmail on 1997, well he is estonian. Well he is somekind a millinare or even billionaire.
PS: and everything is cheap here, food and stuff is same as in US but much cheeper than europe. But PC parts are expensive.

Originally posted by Mike1983
Don't you remember the midget that plays Lisa in the Simpsons episode where Bart becomes Burn's heir?

i cant believe i forgot, i feel like less of a man now.

Originally posted by DRJ1014
good episode

Wow, back ON topic now. ;)

As soon as I cut up/mod my Giant III I'll get some pics for you guys, 'cus I've never seen one modded on here before.

Yo! - some nicely modded cards here :eek:

My A250 Ultra TD sitting happily at 310/680 24/7 or 310/710 for benching

below that is the golden sample ti4200 (300/600)

gfx_4600_4200.jpg

what happend to the big cooling system??

why you put a little fan on your leadtek card??

Originally posted by robbiekhan
QUOTE]

only 10Mhz incress on the core? ....the memory will do atleast 725 have you tried to push it futher?

And the goldensampler should do about 330/700 or so...

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
QUOTE]

only 10Mhz incress on the core? ....the memory will do atleast 725 have you tried to push it futher?

And the goldensampler should do about 330/700 or so...

yup, 320/750 in 3dmarks - but I always leave a safe-drop margin for 24/7 gaming

nope, the golden sample is 250/513 by default, its a 64MB card and the max it will oc is 600 on the memory and 300 on the core. Thats the way it is. - the albatron ti4200's that use bga memory will do 700, not the TSOP ones

yup, 320/750 in 3dmarks - but I always leave a safe-drop margin for 24/7 gaming

nope, the golden sample is 250/513 by default, its a 64MB card and the max it will oc is 600 on the memory and 300 on the core. Thats the way it is. - the albatron ti4200's that use bga memory will do 700, not the TSOP ones

Nice OC dude.....and, correct on the Albatron, those Ti4200's of theirs were astonishing. :cool:

aye, I get 13.3K in 3dmark 01se and 1.9k in 03 but my games run super at 1152x864 so im happy til i get a 6800 :p

aye, I get 13.3K in 3dmark 01se and 1.9k in 03 but my games run super at 1152x864 so im happy til i get a 6800 :p

Yeah, for sure.....it's hard NOT to want that damn thing. I'm gonna hold off until I can compare performance of the 6800Ultra to the X800XT though.....someone's gonna get my $700.....and I better damn well get the best. ;) :p

I think it's 99.99% safe to say that the nv40 range will be far more feature packed than the r4xx cards by a long shot, the sheer amount of video features alone as well as future gaming - even if by a small miracle it falls a small amount under ATI for gaming performance we've already seen the power the ultra has over all current cards and its only at reference stage

I think it's 99.99% safe to say that the nv40 range will be far more feature packed than the r4xx cards by a long shot, the sheer amount of video features alone as well as future gaming - even if by a small miracle it falls a small amount under ATI for gaming performance we've already seen the power the ultra has over all current cards and its only at reference stage

I wouldn't say it's safe to assume ANYTHING. We know next to nothing about the X800 series of card (straigh from ATI anyways) so you (or anyone else) are in no position to "safely assume" anything.

I'd like to think that it'd be "over" that easy and we'd be able to "predict" our winner, but sadly it's not even close. Both companies have been working long and hard on their new toys, and counting out ATI this early would just be ignorant.

Back