Show off your OSX desktop

macdesk.jpg

seanmcd said:
lol no, that's the first thing I noticed. I almost responded a few days ago with the same thing... I figure it's his dedicated AMD64 "Windows Skinning machine" and he never opens up any real applications

Hahah - I am shopping for more RAM right now, but

at least it's Corsair XMS running at 2-2-2-12-1-1-1, and it runs everything fine. I have another hard drive setup for the pagefile which helps alot. I haven't really run out of RAM yet, and I just setup my first PC game today. (not a big gamer, so...) Gonna order a new vid card and some more high-end DDR tonight, actually. I just put it together a couple weeks ago. EDIT= I have 132Mb RAM free right now, 164 MB pagefile... this is my Internet comp for the moment (see the Dual 2Ghz system below in my sig?

actually, the ones that have about 25 apps open at once with 15 windows on the screen at the same time are the ones that get me. While Expose is nice, I have yet to find a user that actually does that while they are working in real life. :p

It's fun to play the "how many cool apps and widgets can I get into this desktop pic" game. ;)

thanks for the link. i looked there earlier, but missed that one. DOH!

i use expose all the time. i boud the f9 key to a key on my mouse so i just hit it then click what i want. its great!

Selecter said:
actually, the ones that have about 25 apps open at once with 15 windows on the screen at the same time are the ones that get me. While Expose is nice, I have yet to find a user that actually does that while they are working in real life. :p

It's fun to play the "how many cool apps and widgets can I get into this desktop pic" game. ;)
That, or they make sure the most "unknown" and "cool" band they have is playing in iTunes, when just before they took the screenshot they were blasting Taco.

I use expose all the time while working.

Be it in photoshop, xcode, organizing files, eclipse, etc.

Selector, isn't that the point of "Show your fuk'in Desktop? They get you because they own...You...

eh.....somebody ALWAYS owns you.....in real life and on the box. Unless you get up to Donald Trump level. Someone always has mo betta than you, it dont matter what you got. And that goes for everything. You own and you get owned in return.

I should post my desktop. It has the solid graphite background with a hard disk icon on it... :cool: :rolleyes:

And I said 15 windows and 25 progs at once......the amounts are slightly high, no? I think sarcasm is too subtle a weapon for [H]. Of course everyone uses expose, myself included.

whats with all the bashing over widgets and obscure bands?

i have widgets on my desktop, they hide when itunes isnt open. i like them there, i use them, i think they look nice ;) and as far as obscure bands go, maybe you should check out some of them, its always good to spread your horizons a little bit :cool:

Garage81 said:
you my friend could use launchbar (or quicksilver) :) ever mess with either?

No, I haven't. What do they exactly do (I'm fairly new to Mac)?

Mr.Dearthian

Sarcasm doesn't exactly work well on the internet, Selecter. Since most people online are dumbasses, most of the ones who aren't assume the worst about everybody else. ;)

ah, quicksilver is a Godsend. it makes using my mac WAY more efficient, easy and fun.

why is everyone using the grab function to capture the desktop? why doesnt anyone use the keystroke command shift 3?

i like obscure bands, but am a little ify on the widgets. i guess i havent looked at many to find any useful. ill look into that. so, where could one demo some shins, or other obscure bands?

Give Butler a try :) I likey.. Ever since I downloaded it I rarely use my dock. Some people like having their dock though :)

launchbar indexes all your junk/apps/morejunk, so whenever you press command-spacebar, you type in what you want to run, and it launches it. for example, to run the calculator, i just hit cmd-space, type in ca, enter, and calculator opens. it makes getting to things really, really fast (and will help kill some of that clutter on your dock).

the shins, postal service, and deathcab are a good entry into the whiny indie music genre that i love so much. more recent popular artists that kind of fall into a similiar category are the killers, franz ferdinand, modest mouse, and even coldplay.

the garden state soundtrack has 2 very popular shins songs on it. i like to use the itunes music store to preview tracks by artists. amazon.com's listmania! also has many good lists by people much more into indie/emo, and much more depressed :) than myself.

and the cool thing about the konfabulator widgets that i run, is that you can embed them into the desktop layer, so that clicking on them does nothing, and they never appear on top of your program windows.

whew, this is definately one of my longest posts ever. i need a mountain dew.

oh, and lets get some pics of your setups here. ill take a few when i get home, i have a cool new external hard drive and a new desk to show off.

Garage81 said:
whats with all the bashing over widgets and obscure bands?

i have widgets on my desktop, they hide when itunes isnt open. i like them there, i use them, i think they look nice ;) and as far as obscure bands go, maybe you should check out some of them, its always good to spread your horizons a little bit :cool:
It's not bashing, it's just good-natured ribbing.

My dual screen setup from my 15" Alum PB.
mac_dual_disp-thumbnail.jpg

FULL SIZE

Here is another I use often. If anyone wants it lmk.
Statue-of-liberty-WP.jpg

And another. Sorry.
macDK.jpg

I'll have to gussy up my desktop and post a pic. Hell, I should post my OS 9 desktop too. :eek:

Hey, what's the thing that removes the translucent bar from your dock leaving the bare icons? I'd like to get that, if it does not involve a permament hack.

thought id show off my simple setup:

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

had to go long ways to show off the posters ;)

oh, and yeah, i know, my photography needs a little work.

wankrtron said:
i like that simplicity

thanks man. my apartment is small, so i dont have much room for a bigger desk. sucks. cant fit the 2001fp up on the deks comfortably, so i drove it home and hooked it up to my moms computer last weekend. she freaked out, was a nice surprise. when i buy a house I want to get a much larger desk for my "office" and get a 23" LCD, and a nice printer, and whatnot. only thing my small desk really is limiting me on now, that i want to try out, is one of those wacom drawing tablets. they look like a lot of fun. guess i have a little room on the right there, might see if i can squeeze one on without looking too busy.

actually my friends desktop from a forum we admin.... i hate macs but meh might aswell post his hahah>:D

desktop.jpg

wankrtron said:
ah, quicksilver is a Godsend. it makes using my mac WAY more efficient, easy and fun.

why is everyone using the grab function to capture the desktop? why doesnt anyone use the keystroke command shift 3?

i like obscure bands, but am a little ify on the widgets. i guess i havent looked at many to find any useful. ill look into that. so, where could one demo some shins, or other obscure bands?

keystroke command shift 3 just makes a pdf. Grab is nice since you can do apps, selections, or screens and it saves as tiffs.

I could never get into QS or Launchbar. I just put a link to my Apps folder in the dock next to my trashcan, works just as good. Doesn't take up screen realestate, doesn't require me to remember hotkeys, not something else running in the background, I don't need to learn how to use/organize it.. But that's me..

keystroke command shift 3 just makes a pdf. Grab is nice since you can do apps, selections, or screens and it saves as tiffs.
Open it in Preview, export as JPEG or PNG. Piece of cake. Even better, use ImageWell.

Back