• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should my Microdrive rattle?

Alias

2[H]4U
Joined
May 24, 2001
Messages
3,417
My 2.2GB Microdrive rattles when I shake it. Is this normal or should I RMA it?
 
You shouldn't be shaking it in the first place, but yeah, a small rattle is normal.
 
SicFuc said:
You shouldn't be shaking it in the first place, but yeah, a small rattle is normal.

Well I wasn't violently shaking it :p I heard a rattle so I gave it a little shake, its not a small rattle either.
 
it IS a mini hdd, i've never heard one rattle before...how can that be normal? we just got a new JVC camcorder in that records to the microdrive instead of tapes or dvd, and the microdrive seemed very sturdy, no rattles..
 
ambientZ said:
2.2gb. is that one of those magicstor drives?

Yea its one of those generic ones. I think I will RMA it. Theres no way it should rattle. Like he said, its a micro harddrive. Do your hard drives rattle? Mine don't. It works fine in my 828. It is a bit noisy when it reads and write though, enough that I can clearly hear it when its reading/writing.
 
I know at least one of the 1GB IBM-brand microdrives that we have here at work rattles. You don't have to shake it; you can just feel some give in the components when you manipulate it. I've never been able to hear it reading or writing, but with all the servers in the office, it would have to be quite loud to be audible. Anyway, I think we've had them for three years or so, and I've never had any trouble with them.
 
HorsePunchKid said:
I know at least one of the 1GB IBM-brand microdrives that we have here at work rattles. You don't have to shake it; you can just feel some give in the components when you manipulate it. I've never been able to hear it reading or writing, but with all the servers in the office, it would have to be quite loud to be audible. Anyway, I think we've had them for three years or so, and I've never had any trouble with them.

I can feel it moving inside, but its audible. Hmmm
 
Do you have a CF reader on a computer? Fill it up with 2.2Gb of stuff, and remove it all. If it works, keep it.

I don't think that a Microdrive is likely to fail, they seem fairly well-made.
 
lorcani said:
Do you have a CF reader on a computer? Fill it up with 2.2Gb of stuff, and remove it all. If it works, keep it.

I don't think that a Microdrive is likely to fail, they seem fairly well-made.

Yes I do. I did that, and it worked just fine. Its the point that if its rattling and it shouldn't, then something is loose. A loose object next to spinning platter is a bad thing. A loose object means it will fail, probably 5 minutes out of waranty.
 
Alias said:
Yes I do. I did that, and it worked just fine. Its the point that if its rattling and it shouldn't, then something is loose. A loose object next to spinning platter is a bad thing. A loose object means it will fail, probably 5 minutes out of waranty.
What's the warranty on it? It would REALLY suck to jump through hoops to do a prophylactic RMA, when all you're going to get back is another rattling Microdrive.

Have you tried contacting the support center, and asking if it's normal? It might just be the head rattling.

I just shook my 30Gb Nomad Zen Xtra that's sitting on the desk. It rattles, but it's been working fine for almost a month. I don't know how similar the hard-drive is to a Microdrive, though, but I think all hard-drives are going to make a little bit of noise when you shake them.
 
lorcani said:
What's the warranty on it? It would REALLY suck to jump through hoops to do a prophylactic RMA, when all you're going to get back is another rattling Microdrive.

Have you tried contacting the support center, and asking if it's normal? It might just be the head rattling.

I just shook my 30Gb Nomad Zen Xtra that's sitting on the desk. It rattles, but it's been working fine for almost a month. I don't know how similar the hard-drive is to a Microdrive, though, but I think all hard-drives are going to make a little bit of noise when you shake them.
I filled out a support form yesterday. Waitng to hear from them now. None of my hardrives rattle. I don't know where you get yours at :p The waranty is 1 year for repairs, 90 days for replacement. The drive is 2 days and ~10GB old.
 
Alias said:
I filled out a support form yesterday. Waitng to hear from them now.
Please let us know what you find out about the rattling. If it is indeed normal, it would put my mind at ease a bit to know that. :)
 
HorsePunchKid said:
Please let us know what you find out about the rattling. If it is indeed normal, it would put my mind at ease a bit to know that. :)

I couldn't get much english out of them, but they accpeted my RMA. So I'm guessing its not normal.
 
A couple years ago I worked with some of the 1GB ones, and they would all rattle a little
 
lorcani said:
Do you have a CF reader on a computer? Fill it up with 2.2Gb of stuff, and remove it all. If it works, keep it.

I don't think that a Microdrive is likely to fail, they seem fairly well-made.

they fail very often because of the moving parts. Dropping them is not a good idea.
 
Back
Top