• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I???

PC-HAngover

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
2,010
Okay so I am prepping for my tri-annual build. Here are the specs of my current rig:

CoolerMaster 550 watt psu
Gigabyte mATX skt 775 mobo <-- piece of crap
Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB DDR2
EVGA 8800GTS G92
Raptor 150

I have already purchased a few things for the new build:
New Lian-Li mid-tower case .... sick of mATX
Corsair 850HX psu
XFX ATI 4890 <-- great deal @ $160 after Bing cashback
And a few terabyte drives

So I have been going on the assumption that I will most likely be buying a core i5 when they are released. However a few threads had me thinking about it. As soon as it is released the prices are going to be jacked up which really wouldn't present too much of a value. Right now I can get a Core i7 920 from MicroCenter for $200 and hopefully get a D0. I can also grab an EVGA X58 board for $280 less rebate, as well as 6GB DDR3 for around $130.

Now I have come to ask you, oh great Hardforum... what should I do? Should I wait it out for the core i5, which may be lackluster and not worth the wait or should I jump on the i7 920 before it is EOL'ed?

Thanks
 
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Blood shooting out of ears) :p

LOL I know I know. I have had two mATX builds out of 4 or 5 in total and I am just really sick of the lack of space. I don't move the computer around as much anymore because I am apparently getting old and seniors in college aren't suppose to LAN... lol
 
Not exactly sure what EOL'ed is. I'm guessing it means discontinued. From what I have heard i7 will remain one of the high end processors (i9 will become coming eventually). Soooo...EOL'ed? <--Doubt it.

i5 will be the lesser of the i7, unless it changes. Since its just coming out, I don't think there is going to be much of a difference between the prices. So why by the lesser?
 
I would go i7. The ability to go with a Gulftown chip once those come out would be worth it.
 
I would go i7. The ability to go with a Gulftown chip once those come out would be worth it.

I once thought like that but what the fuck are you really going to need the gulftown chip for? World domination? :D

I'm going to just state that the I5 750 is going to be a much better deal and render the I7 obsolete. Why? Tests have already shown 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler with the 750. More then i could have ever gotten my 920 too.
 
I once thought like that but what the fuck are you really going to need the gulftown chip for? World domination? :D
I could easily put it to good use. I do a lot of multitasking, working with VMs, and running Folding@Home. Even my Q9550 at 3.8GHz is showing cracks.
I'm going to just state that the I5 750 is going to be a much better deal and render the I7 obsolete. Why? Tests have already shown 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler with the 750. More then i could have ever gotten my 920 too.
That 4.5GHz screenshot with stock cooling is a joke. There's no proof whatsoever that it was actually stable or that it ran within reasonable temperature limits. I can guarantee you that you will not be able to run a stable 4.5GHz overclock on stock cooling.

And even if they prove to be great overclockers, there's no indication that they'll be any better than the LGA1366 i7 chips. Plus the LGA1366 chips have other features that the LGA1156 ones lack, like QPI, an extra memory channel, and a platform that offers more PCI-E lanes for better multi-GPU support. LGA1156 is firmly a mid-range platform and is not a substitute for the high-end i7/X58 platform for anyone who can actually take advantage of the extra features.
 
I could easily put it to good use. I do a lot of multitasking, working with VMs, and running Folding@Home. Even my Q9550 at 3.8GHz is showing cracks.

That 4.5GHz screenshot with stock cooling is a joke. There's no proof whatsoever that it was actually stable or that it ran within reasonable temperature limits. I can guarantee you that you will not be able to run a stable 4.5GHz overclock on stock cooling.

And even if they prove to be great overclockers, there's no indication that they'll be any better than the LGA1366 i7 chips. Plus the LGA1366 chips have other features that the LGA1156 ones lack, like QPI, an extra memory channel, and a platform that offers more PCI-E lanes for better multi-GPU support. LGA1156 is firmly a mid-range platform and is not a substitute for the high-end i7/X58 platform for anyone who can actually take advantage of the extra features.

Luckily i don't plan on running stock cooling with my 750. :) I understand what you're saying and the I7 does offer some better features but how much does the casual consumer need? I loved my I7 but it was overkill which is why i sold it. I mean you can only download and watch porn so fast. :D
 
bcuz later down the road gulftown will not be anything near world domination and 16pcie choking the graphics will be a joke.
 
I loved my I7 but it was overkill which is why i sold it. I mean you can only download and watch porn so fast. :D



"uh oh, this 920 is too much cpu for me, i better get rid of it before i hurt myself"


this is hardforum. are we casual consumers?
 
So i'm assuming that most people are saying go for i7? I am definitely starting to lean that way.
 
I'm waiting to see if the 750 can hit 5Ghz on water to make my mind up if it's worth it.
 
Back
Top