should i upgrade to x2?

takimbe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
323
i currently have the rig in my sig. do you think i should upgrade the CPU from the a64 3500+ to a dual core? maybe add another gig of ram? i use the machine for downloading and games, and occaisional photo editing. the current rig works fine now, just a few skips here and there, but like any tech crazy guy, im looking for more. i was thinking along the lines of an x2 3800 or 4200. i looked at core 2 duo, but ive only had this rig since august, and id rather not have to completely upgrade. your thoughts?
 
Since you just got the rig I wouldnt bother upgrading unless your making money from your computer's productivity. Since I only use my comp for games and downloading Im going to wait until at least mid '07 when the quadcore/DX10/ DDR3 should be in the market, but if I were to upgrade something at the moment it would definitely be adding another 1gig of RAM.
 
takimbe said:
i currently have the rig in my sig. do you think i should upgrade the CPU from the a64 3500+ to a dual core? maybe add another gig of ram? i use the machine for downloading and games, and occaisional photo editing. the current rig works fine now, just a few skips here and there, but like any tech crazy guy, im looking for more. i was thinking along the lines of an x2 3800 or 4200. i looked at core 2 duo, but ive only had this rig since august, and id rather not have to completely upgrade. your thoughts?

pickup an X2 3800 Toledo and OC to 2.8 or 2.9 Ghz. Should get you by for a bit if you dont wanna go C2D.
 
takimbe said:
i currently have the rig in my sig. do you think i should upgrade the CPU from the a64 3500+ to a dual core? maybe add another gig of ram? i use the machine for downloading and games, and occaisional photo editing. the current rig works fine now, just a few skips here and there, but like any tech crazy guy, im looking for more. i was thinking along the lines of an x2 3800 or 4200. i looked at core 2 duo, but ive only had this rig since august, and id rather not have to completely upgrade. your thoughts?

I know what you are going threw and im sitting in the exact same spot as you but I have a 3200+. I think my first step is going to be a second gig of RAM while I wait and see what the X2 prices do. I cant afford more than baby steps so no Core2 for me. I just think every time this rig is only a year old it has to have some life in it.
 
DeChache said:
I know what you are going threw and im sitting in the exact same spot as you but I have a 3200+. I think my first step is going to be a second gig of RAM while I wait and see what the X2 prices do. I cant afford more than baby steps so no Core2 for me. I just think every time this rig is only a year old it has to have some life in it.


dont waste money if its not DDR II...
 
Depends on how long you plan on staying with this rig. you can always upgrade later on. I think 939 has the capability to las t as long as am2. The prices will only get lower, except ram me thinks. Get the memory and OC it.
 
are there any s939 mobos out there that support ddr2 ram? and would it be worth my while to invest in that?
 
No there is not. Buying DDR is just a good investment as DDR2 as long as you plan on using your comp for the next couple years. To get DDR2 you have to go to AM2 and if you do that you might as well go over to the blue team.
 
I just upgraded from a 3500+ and I half to say I love it. I picked up a x2 4800, the performance increase was very noticeable in games, and on the desktop. I'm glad I decided to upgrade.
 
I'm in the same boat (or was in the same boat and am back in it again :))

I had the amd athlon 3500+ and when I saw the price of the FX-55 (2.6ghz vs 2.2ghz) I had to get it. Sold the 3500+ for $70 so final cost for the fx-55 was $70 and I thought it WOULD be worth it. Well I was wrong. Not much improvement over the previous chip IMO and now I'm thinking dual core is hte only way to go. Prices are HIGH!

If I were you I'd def sell the 3500+ and get the x2 4200/4800 and ALSO (this is a must...if you can find them at good prices)... i WOULD def get the extra 1gb of ram! Ram HELPS a lot...speeds up pretty much everythere
 
I have a 3200+ as well and I am thinking about one last S939 upgrade befor emaking the move to AM2. I am thinking about jumping in on the FX-55 deal at newegg. The free hard drive will be nice and the price is right. I cant see going to a Dual core thats the same speed, the only time I would benifit is with multithreading and I dont have anything currently that will take advantage of it, So I was thinking the 2.6ghz will give me the most benifit.
 
Wow..Im not alone..Im deciding now which X2 to go with since I just upgraded to a 7950GX2..I need a DC that can at least hit 2.8ghz as that what my 4000+ is at now.Any suggestions??
 
Diablo2K said:
I have a 3200+ as well and I am thinking about one last S939 upgrade befor emaking the move to AM2. I am thinking about jumping in on the FX-55 deal at newegg. The free hard drive will be nice and the price is right. I cant see going to a Dual core thats the same speed, the only time I would benifit is with multithreading and I dont have anything currently that will take advantage of it, So I was thinking the 2.6ghz will give me the most benifit.


i think an x2 or operton proc is the best route for you to take. i think the fx-55 is a lateral move at best. newegg has the 165 denmark for $175.99. it's $30 cheaper than the cheapest fx-55. you'll get dual core & it o/c's very well.

Opty 165

if you think about it. the fx-55 was selling for $139.99 a couple weeks ago. now it's $219.99 with a "free" hard drive. do you really think the hard drive is free?
 
takimbe said:
are there any s939 mobos out there that support ddr2 ram? and would it be worth my while to invest in that?

s939 procs don't have the ddr2 memory controller. It's impossible for a s939 chip to have ddr2 (that's why AM2 was invented in the first place)
 
Back
Top