Should I upgrade my already nice rig?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
So, coming into some money that I've decided to blow (screw responsibility, you only live once!) and I'm seriously considering dumping some cash into my PC.

You can tell from my specs below that I've already got a pretty decent rig. I've just been thinking that with the next gen games coming out soon (ya know, all DX11 and shit) and would like to make my system a little more future proof.

So my plans are to stick with my current case and motherboard and upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, and add a second SSD.

Looking at getting a hyper threaded CPU like a 2600k/3770k, a better GPU with more RAM (GTX 670/680 or maybe even AMD like a 7970), 16GB of RAM, and a second 128GB Vertex 4 for RAID.

My only problem though...is it worth it? I mean, even reselling my current GPU, CPU, and RAM this will still cost a few hundred dollars. Will it be a better over all PC for the next couple years?

Just don't know...hmmm...

I'd personally wait for next gen later this year see what new stuff is brought to the table. I'am also in the same position as you atm of wanting to upgrade.

Not even Haswell will be that much of an upgrade over your current setup judging from early rumors.

Just upgrade your GPU and you'll be set.

You think just a GPU upgrade is in order? I'm thinking with next gen consoles coming in at 8 cores than a 8 thread CPU would be better preferred?

How about getting a new high rez monitor with a big screen. The monitor in your sig is 21 inch right?

/\ 21 crt. Maybe he wants to stay CRT.

Regardless I would wait till new cpus/gpus.

Thought about going with a new monitor like the 21:9 Dell (2560x1080! :eek:) but I know IPS...and the glow and low contrast ratio I feel would be too dramatic a turn in quality from the perfection of my CRT. :p

Card isn't ruled out yet though, but it is also more money than what I have coming in too.

I don't know, will probably upgrade the video card at least...maybe get a cheap 200+GB SSD for games and such as well.

+1 for a nice lcd with a new card. Maybe a 256gb SSD.

If you upgrade the cpu to haswell, you would not be able to tell it was upgraded probably.
You could go to 16gb memory, but will tell 0 difference if you dont need/use it, like the cpu.

You think just a GPU upgrade is in order? I'm thinking with next gen consoles coming in at 8 cores than a 8 thread CPU would be better preferred?

Doubtful. Just because the console has 8 cores, doesn't mean the games will make use of all of those cores at once. It's all speculation right now, but I can almost promise that you're SB setup will preform as good as, if not (most likely) better than next generation consoles.

You're already faster than 1 out of 3. ;)

I second the ones already mentioned, wait for next gen gpu/cpu right now there are no numbers that will indicate Haswell will be a night and day difference, like Danny said it won't be a big step-up even when it does come out. GPU's get updated and outdated really fast so it's worth the wait for some a little more powerful with less TDP and the pricing.

A faster SSD and a nice new monitor will be a great way to fill in your itch of wanting to upgrade for now.

I second the ones already mentioned, wait for next gen gpu/cpu right now there are no numbers that will indicate Haswell will be a night and day difference, like Danny said it won't be a big step-up even when it does come out. GPU's get updated and outdated really fast so it's worth the wait for some a little more powerful with less TDP and the pricing.

A faster SSD and a nice new monitor will be a great way to fill in your itch of wanting to upgrade for now.

I'm thinking of a second Vertex 4 for RAID or a large one for games. Monitor is out of the question, I'd like a large widescreen for sure, but the CRT is just too damn beautiful to give up until OLED comes around. Current LCD tech has too many draw backs for each respective type in my opinion (IPS glow and low contrast, VA viewing angles, TN viewing angles, etc).

I was very glad to get rid of my CRT's. They took up so much room, the heat, and size.
I never noticed really much except the viewing angle, but that doesnt bother me.

Bigger SSD would be very nice. I cant wait for them to come down where its cheap to have a TB or so of em. :)

I was very glad to get rid of my CRT's. They took up so much room, the heat, and size.
I never noticed really much except the viewing angle, but that doesnt bother me.

Bigger SSD would be very nice. I cant wait for them to come down where its cheap to have a TB or so of em. :)

Haha...yeah, if it wasn't that my desk is so large (3x6ft) I would have got rid of it! Size isn't an issue though so I'm good with it.

Depends on how much of a budget you're talking, many things you can spend on your rig to bring it new life without having to really upgrade much.

Go with three new displays and a GPU for NVSurround setup, build a DIY WC setup, but a second PC to act as a file server, need a printer, play racing games go for a nice steering wheel setup, new controllers, new games, build an HTPC, etc...

Wait until haswell if you MUST upgrade. Your rig is FINE as it is, and a RAID SSD won't give you any noticeable speed increase, it'll only increases the storage capacity on the drive. YOLO should never be justified to just spending money, save it man!

Waste of money until Haswell comes out. Wait until June.

Waiting for haswell is like folks with sandy bridge waiting for ivybridge. Haswell will not bring anything revolutionary to the table except perhaps some better prices on sandy bridge and ivy bridge and several months AFTER release before any defects or problems arise.

There's no reason to wait for haswell if he wants to upgrade now.

Waiting for haswell is like folks with sandy bridge waiting for ivybridge. Haswell will not bring anything revolutionary to the table except perhaps some better prices on sandy bridge and ivy bridge and several months AFTER release before any defects or problems arise.

There's no reason to wait for haswell if he wants to upgrade now.

You do realize the OP has a Sandy Bridge CPU and is wanting to upgrade to another Sandy Bridge Hyper Threading CPU or the Ivy Bridge version.

Therefore not only is it not worth upgrading to a HT processor from a non-HT processor since games do not take advantage of HT; it's even less pointless to upgrade an already high end CPU in the SB line up to another high end SB or IB processor. So he should wait to see what Haswell brings to the table. At least then he'll get a bigger performance increase than just what HT will bring.

So, coming into some money that I've decided to blow (screw responsibility, you only live once!) and I'm seriously considering dumping some cash into my PC.

You can tell from my specs below that I've already got a pretty decent rig. I've just been thinking that with the next gen games coming out soon (ya know, all DX11 and shit) and would like to make my system a little more future proof.

So my plans are to stick with my current case and motherboard and upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, and add a second SSD.

Looking at getting a hyper threaded CPU like a 2600k/3770k, a better GPU with more RAM (GTX 670/680 or maybe even AMD like a 7970), 16GB of RAM, and a second 128GB Vertex 4 for RAID.

My only problem though...is it worth it? I mean, even reselling my current GPU, CPU, and RAM this will still cost a few hundred dollars. Will it be a better over all PC for the next couple years?

Just don't know...hmmm...

your not likely to see much performance gain in upgrading what you have now. You are using a dell trinitron monitor?? an older CRT monitor I presume, maybe you should upgrade your monitor to a nice larger lcd panel as i doubt a trinitron in service this long will last much longer and become a more pressing need than a hardware upgrade at the moment.

if your interested in a future proof build on your next build I suggest buying a high quality 850 watt power supply such as seasonic 850 or corsair ax850, this will give you the option at a later date to upgrade to two video cards should you desire and/or should you get a larger high resolution monitor at some point. You could also purchase a nice case, for future proofing a full atx tower is always best gives you plenty of room to grown and plenty of room for cabling and expansion.

In the future I would steer away from Asrock and go with either ASUS or GIGABYTE, asrocks have risen in price but they are definitely not the highest quality motherboard out there, dont buy a motherboard for its colors or bling.

At the moment Intel has no reason to push out anything earth shattering as they have little or no competition from AMD so there is no reason for them to release any revolutionary architecture as AMD doesnt have anything that outperforms an intel chip and no dramatic savings either.

If you have a bad case of upgrade itch start with a nice case, a nice big one that will last you through several builds and wait to see what happens. You could also upgrade your video card as AMD will not release any new cards in 2013 so I suspect Nvidia will start coasting like Intel has though Nvidia does have the Titan GPU to be released this year.

He may be a die hard CRT guy but things have changed and lcd monitors are pretty dam good and less detrimental to the eyesight when used properly.

Last time I bought a CRT was 2005 and I doubt any store carried them beyond 2007 so his crt monitor is likely six years old possibly more which means like it or not that CRT is gonna fail sooner than later so it would be a good upgrade to focus on since your hardware is adequate at this time.

I recommend a 16:10 aspect ration monitor, if you dont like IPS there are alternatives such as mva and pva, I have an older PMVA which I like alot and just bought a 30 inch IPS monitor for my main rig. I would encourage you to check some out at a store like microcenter, frys or tigerdirect if you have one of those stores in your area. I do not recommend a horrid TN panel. Samsung also has a new PLS monitor which has been getting rave reviews, I forget the model number but something worth mentioning.

your not likely to see much performance gain in upgrading what you have now. You are using a dell trinitron monitor?? an older CRT monitor I presume, maybe you should upgrade your monitor to a nice larger lcd panel as i doubt a trinitron in service this long will last much longer and become a more pressing need than a hardware upgrade at the moment.

if your interested in a future proof build on your next build I suggest buying a high quality 850 watt power supply such as seasonic 850 or corsair ax850, this will give you the option at a later date to upgrade to two video cards should you desire and/or should you get a larger high resolution monitor at some point. You could also purchase a nice case, for future proofing a full atx tower is always best gives you plenty of room to grown and plenty of room for cabling and expansion.

In the future I would steer away from Asrock and go with either ASUS or GIGABYTE, asrocks have risen in price but they are definitely not the highest quality motherboard out there, dont buy a motherboard for its colors or bling.

At the moment Intel has no reason to push out anything earth shattering as they have little or no competition from AMD so there is no reason for them to release any revolutionary architecture as AMD doesnt have anything that outperforms an intel chip and no dramatic savings either.

If you have a bad case of upgrade itch start with a nice case, a nice big one that will last you through several builds and wait to see what happens. You could also upgrade your video card as AMD will not release any new cards in 2013 so I suspect Nvidia will start coasting like Intel has though Nvidia does have the Titan GPU to be released this year.

He may be a die hard CRT guy but things have changed and lcd monitors are pretty dam good and less detrimental to the eyesight when used properly.

Last time I bought a CRT was 2005 and I doubt any store carried them beyond 2007 so his crt monitor is likely six years old possibly more which means like it or not that CRT is gonna fail sooner than later so it would be a good upgrade to focus on since your hardware is adequate at this time.

I recommend a 16:10 aspect ration monitor, if you dont like IPS there are alternatives such as mva and pva, I have an older PMVA which I like alot and just bought a 30 inch IPS monitor for my main rig. I would encourage you to check some out at a store like microcenter, frys or tigerdirect if you have one of those stores in your area. I do not recommend a horrid TN panel. Samsung also has a new PLS monitor which has been getting rave reviews, I forget the model number but something worth mentioning.

Talking to yourself? :confused:

Lets see here.

CRT is staying. It might be a tad old, but I bought it like-new so it has years of service left. Plus I prefer CRT over LCD anyways. TRUST ME, if you saw my CRT and played games on it you would want one. The colors, contrast (blacks are actually BLACK), refresh rates, etc...there isn't a single LCD out there that I've ever seen that could go toe-to-toe with my monitor in terms of picture quality. They simply don't exist.

Power supply is 650 watts now. SilverStone ITX case anyways so I can't upgrade and 650 watts is PLENTY of power for my rig.

Your comments about Asrock are unfounded. There is nothing wrong with their build quality vs. other brands.

Back