Should I upgrade my 65" Samsung KS8000?

johnnyscience

Limp Gawd
So I have a 65" Samsung KS8000 from I think 2016 or 2017 - how can I determine exactly what year it is?

Does anyone know how many LED zones it has and the overall nits? I can't seem to find info on either.

It seems this tv does NOT have local dimming zones, so apparently my blacks/darks can be much better.

I know this was a pretty high-end TV when it came out, how does it hold up to newer 2020/2021 UHD tvs right now?

Say comparing this to a 2021 Vizio P-Series Quantum?

Would I see an improvement over my Samsung KS8000 if I bought a brand new Vizio P-series?

This would probably be the only other option I would probably consider based on price & specs.

I know the real answer is OLED, but my budget is around $1000 and I just can't swing that $2k price tag for a new Vizio OLED.

While I do love this tv, I'm just wondering if I can get a little more vibrant color out of a newer, high-quality Vizio.

Last edited:
Read review from rtings.com to answer your specs questions. Their reviews should give you recommendations for other models too.

I have a KS8000 as well as C9 OLED. The KS8000 looks alright to be honest, especially for SDR content. I would save up for an OLED and wait for Black Friday sales even if you want to get something else.

Yeah that was my original idea. OLED has always been the #Endgame.

I can wait it out until a sale on a Vizio OLED comes out, I've been waiting years for an affordable one. What's another 6 months.

Ks8000 does have local dimming but it is edge lit kind (about 8 zones, give or take) so in real life content it does jack and shit and may even be a hinderance in HDR content if you have subtitles on and if they are bright white. Instant vertical flashlight in center of the screen during dark scenes. But thankfully the native contrast ratio is really high so HDR picture quality is still very good overall. KS8000 (7000 in europe) was, to my knowledge, first QLED TV from Samsung and just before they got the bright idea on marketing the feature aggressively and try confuse people into thinking it is something similar to OLED, which it obviously is not. That said, it is still a very good TV to this day and you should not feel a hurry to upgrade it until you have enough funds for OLED.

Yeah that was my original idea. OLED has always been the #Endgame.

I can wait it out until a sale on a Vizio OLED comes out, I've been waiting years for an affordable one. What's another 6 months.

At least in my country LG OLEDs were at their lowest prices around Black Friday and then somewhere around the start of the year. From there on they will slowly get replaced by whatever is the next gen model. If you can find a good deal on a C9 or CX, jump on it.

For me the biggest annoyance on the KS8000 was the input lag in HDR gaming. It was noticeable whereas I did not mind the roughly 20ms at SDR. Of course it's not a fantastic HDR display to begin with but it's at least acceptable. The other thing I hated was the Samsung Tizen OS with its often crashing apps, enough to replace that crap with a Chromecast Ultra. LG WebOS has been smooth sailing in comparison.

Honestly keep the KS and save up for a OLED. The KS8000 still is a pretty damn good tv.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Honestly keep the KS and save up for a OLED. The KS8000 still is a pretty damn good tv.

I've got the curved version. The KS8500. It's a great TV. Aside from going OLED, the biggest thing that limits it is the 60Hz refresh and lack of variable refresh rate support. Those issues are largely concerns for gaming on them rather than anything else. As a standard TV, I'd certainly hold off until I can get ahold of something that would be a massive upgrade visually. OLED, etc.

Also, I'd never spend $2K on a Vizio anything.

At least in my country LG OLEDs were at their lowest prices around Black Friday and then somewhere around the start of the year. From there on they will slowly get replaced by whatever is the next gen model. If you can find a good deal on a C9 or CX, jump on it.

For me the biggest annoyance on the KS8000 was the input lag in HDR gaming. It was noticeable whereas I did not mind the roughly 20ms at SDR. Of course it's not a fantastic HDR display to begin with but it's at least acceptable. The other thing I hated was the Samsung Tizen OS with its often crashing apps, enough to replace that crap with a Chromecast Ultra. LG WebOS has been smooth sailing in comparison.

Did you remember to turn on game mode in HDR? There should be no difference, it should still be 20ms in game mode and 30ms in PC mode wether the HDR is on or off.

I've got the curved version. The KS8500. It's a great TV. Aside from going OLED, the biggest thing that limits it is the 60Hz refresh and lack of variable refresh rate support. Those issues are largely concerns for gaming on them rather than anything else. As a standard TV, I'd certainly hold off until I can get ahold of something that would be a massive upgrade visually. OLED, etc.

Also, I'd never spend $2K on a Vizio anything.
There a lot of hype around the Vizio OLED. It uses the same panel as LG but who to say about the grade of it. Give it a few months and you probably get the Vizio under $1500. You can get LG 65" OLEDs under $2k also if you wait.

There a lot of hype around the Vizio OLED. It uses the same panel as LG but who to say about the grade of it. Give it a few months and you probably get the Vizio under $1500. You can get LG 65" OLEDs under $2k also if you wait.

Vizio has never impressed me with the quality of their products. Like I said, I wouldn't spend $2,000 on any Vizio product.

Did you remember to turn on game mode in HDR? There should be no difference, it should still be 20ms in game mode and 30ms in PC mode wether the HDR is on or off.

I did, this was mostly playing with PS4 Pro and there is a definitely felt difference in input lag between SDR and HDR. I don't know if this has been improved with firmware updates.

It is possible it was fixed in firmware. I do not feel a difference on my PS4 and Rtings current measurements say the same. 🤔

Ok everyone, thanks for the suggestions! I knew the KS8000 was a high quality tv and I've been happy with it. I also know that OLED is the end game. I'll just have to wait a bit longer and see how the prices for OLEDs drop over the next several months with Vizio being in the game. I don't know the quality of the panels, and perhaps their last years models, but I've always been impressed with Vizios quality for their price, so if the price gets down to $1500 I think it's go time.

I also have the KS8000 and frankly speaking, Every few months I look at possible upgrade options and nothing other than an OLED impresses me enough to make it worth the effort. Recently we are starting to see some HDR 1000 displays that are capable of brightness levels well beyond the KS8000. That may be another consideration. All that said, it was an exceptional set that has held up extremely well.

Ok I'm just going to keep my headdown and enjoy the KS8000 until I can afford an OLED.

I just get antsy sometimes with the KS8000 because I can see pixels during some dark scenes. It's always made me wonder if there was something wrong my my tv.

Is that common on these earlier QLEDs?

Ok I'm just going to keep my headdown and enjoy the KS8000 until I can afford an OLED.

I just get antsy sometimes with the KS8000 because I can see pixels during some dark scenes. It's always made me wonder if there was something wrong my my tv.

Is that common on these earlier QLEDs?

If you mean in something like movies from streaming services than that is more likely to be compression artificats.

Back