• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I switch to UD now?

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
We are now well over 4 million points ahead of OCAU for F@H, and it doesn't look like that's going to change, now that all their heavy hitters are back in action. Should I move my (admittedly puny) production over to UD and try to help us move up from 10th place?

 
what ever you want to do... if you want to switch to UD to try something new go for it

 
I plan on shifting a couple of boxes to UD this weekend.

Remember, even one box helps the cause.

We've spent a lot of time working on helping Stanford, and we kicked a ton of ass doing so.

I'm in the mood for a new fight. :)
 
I would suggest that you move a box or two over and see how you like it. Join the gauntlet and have some fun. Then make your decision.

Like Rich said, every box helps. :)
 
Hey, I'm thinking of doing the same... Call it punishment for my HordeBowl boxen coming up second -- maybe it can do better at UD ! :p

RPhArrow --\\\------------------>
 
Like Moose said, there's no time like the present, and the possibility ofg knocking him off makes it all the sweeter. So I say go for it! :D

 
We don't have the other side of the view expressed yet, so I think I'll chime in now. I started out with F@H and I plan on seeing that project all the way through. Giving them most if not all the boxen I can get borged. I have no problem with people who put a small fraction of their boxes, or even half of their boxen, over to another research project. Moving all of one's boxen from F@H over to UD is just silly.

Someone mentioned that our big hitters are coming back and can hold the lead. I just want to point out if it hasn't been said yet, but our team is mostly made up of smaller producers. In our team the little people mean the most, unlike OCAU where if one of the big hitters go down they take a hit of >50k ppd. Our big hitters don't carry the team, it's all the little people. So we don't need a ton of people flocking over to another project.

That's my 3 cents..

 
I say do whichever project you like. UD and F@H are both worthy projects that the [H] has endorsed. I've moved the bulk of my production to UD now that it appears we have a nice lead that isn't going anywhere soon. I answered the call to F@H a couple of years ago when asked, but it appears the migration to UD hasn't been what we were promised. Anyway, all the help we can get in UD is much appreciated. There's nothing silly about committing to UD for the [H].
 
DooKey said:
I say do whichever project you like. UD and F@H are both worthy projects that the [H] has endorsed. I've moved the bulk of my production to UD now that it appears we have a nice lead that isn't going anywhere soon. I answered the call to F@H a couple of years ago when asked, but it appears the migration to UD hasn't been what we were promised. Anyway, all the help we can get in UD is much appreciated. There's nothing silly about committing to UD for the [H].

Both causes are certainly worth your time. :)

We aren't asking anyone to abandon a project for another, just move a box or two over.

We are also working on making UD a big priority now, as it was promised.

Trust me, we're going to do our best to get our UD side going with some steam. :)
 
I'll move a couple of boxes over too :D

In fact, I'll prolly keep all the borgs on FAH, and swap the three boxen I have here to UD. Can always chop and change these three depending on which projects team has the closest attacker :)
 
MN Scout said:
We don't have the other side of the view expressed yet, so I think I'll chime in now. I started out with F@H and I plan on seeing that project all the way through. Giving them most if not all the boxen I can get borged. I have no problem with people who put a small fraction of their boxes, or even half of their boxen, over to another research project. Moving all of one's boxen from F@H over to UD is just silly.

Someone mentioned that our big hitters are coming back and can hold the lead. I just want to point out if it hasn't been said yet, but our team is mostly made up of smaller producers. In our team the little people mean the most, unlike OCAU where if one of the big hitters go down they take a hit of >50k ppd. Our big hitters don't carry the team, it's all the little people. So we don't need a ton of people flocking over to another project.

That's my 3 cents..

Im just a little producer, glad to hear someone say we are worth a shit.
 
Joves said:
Im just a little producer, glad to hear someone say we are worth a shit.

It's something that has always been there. I've been a small producer all my time here, just some times smaller than others. It's easy to see that when we lose someone big we don't panic and don't get hurt all that much as we always find a way to get the production back. It happened with MidnightFreak and it happened with Logikality. I'm sure it will happen with someone else also. Just look at marty, he's in and out all the time for one reason or another. Yet it never really hurts us overall. Our strength is in numbers and dedication and I don't see either one going MIA any time soon.

So, put what you want to UD, I'm not going to complain about it at all. Just don't be content to sit on your ass. Make sure you keep looking for more boxen and/or more borgs. Keep both projects growing.

 
SmokeRngs said:
So, put what you want to UD, I'm not going to complain about it at all. Just don't be content to sit on your ass. Make sure you keep looking for more boxen and/or more borgs. Keep both projects growing.

Exactly. I consider myself a small producer as well, I'll badge in this post to show you my progress since August when I started.

The important part is that we all keep working on both projects. I say it all the time, and I'll say it again, one box running either project helps the cause, period. Big or small, we need every box we can get running the project up your choice. :)

There was a promise made before my time, and my position now, that we were going to work on UD once we got a comfortable lead in folding. I feel now is a great time to help make that come to fruition. :)

 
Let's not cast this as an "either, or" choice for the [H]orde .. FAH is what drew me in, and I've been pretty active in gearing up for it. I'm a small to medium producer at best since all but 1 of my boxen are literally "in house" , but I also would like to help support the UD portion of our team. With my available resources it will take a long time to crack the top 100 in FAH, so why not put a good boxen on UD and try it for awhile ... That's my approach anyway.. And it's always fun to have a new challenge :cool:

 
MN Scout said:
We don't have the other side of the view expressed yet, so I think I'll chime in now. I started out with F@H and I plan on seeing that project all the way through. Giving them most if not all the boxen I can get borged. I have no problem with people who put a small fraction of their boxes, or even half of their boxen, over to another research project. Moving all of one's boxen from F@H over to UD is just silly.

Someone mentioned that our big hitters are coming back and can hold the lead. I just want to point out if it hasn't been said yet, but our team is mostly made up of smaller producers. In our team the little people mean the most, unlike OCAU where if one of the big hitters go down they take a hit of >50k ppd. Our big hitters don't carry the team, it's all the little people. So we don't need a ton of people flocking over to another project.

That's my 3 cents..


I'm with Scout on this one. I'm not as big a hitter as I used to be, but I started with folding and plan to stay with it till the program is over or I simply can't afford to run my smaller farm anymore. Our team is all about the little guy and lots of them at that. ;)
 
I ran UD for quite awhile - but didn't remember until now that I had signed up with the Horde. So maybe I should come out of retirement to defend my 94th place in the team rankings. I'm currently running 2 instances of FAH on this dual core amd 3800. Is it advisable to have one core running FAH and the other UD?

meisterbrau



 
Like some people have mentioned.

Try it out for yourself.

They are YOUR computers. You paid for them, You pay the bills.

Try both, see which one you like, or which one you like "right now" and run with it.

Both teams need help.

2 teams, one cure... and all that crap.. :)
 
meisterbrau said:
I ran UD for quite awhile - but didn't remember until now that I had signed up with the Horde. So maybe I should come out of retirement to defend my 94th place in the team rankings. I'm currently running 2 instances of FAH on this dual core amd 3800. Is it advisable to have one core running FAH and the other UD?

meisterbrau



Your option sounds like a workable solution. UD, unlike FAH, doesn't work easily with two instances, but easily multitasks with other projects. I've fired up UD on my tech box (A64 3000+), and it is quietly sharing cycles with a F@H "Amber" core 50/50.



 
If you just want to help the [H] in the UD points race, you don't even have to switch your fast machines over. Two of my highest scoring machines from when I did UD a few years ago were a PPro 200 and a Pentium 233 laptop - they hung in there with machines 10x as fast! Of course the slow machines don't do many WUs, but with UD's wacky points system, it doesn't matter much what you use. If you can throw a hundred PII/PIII's at UD, you can kick some butt in the points category. Here are two machines I ran that racked up almost identilcal amounts of time and points.
1. 194 days, 57,475 points, 281 results
2. 193 days, 61,431 points, 453 results
Machine 1 was a PIII800 and Machine 2 was an AXP 1.6-2.0 (might have upgraded in that timeframe).
 
Mattman said:
If you just want to help the [H] in the UD points race, you don't even have to switch your fast machines over. Two of my highest scoring machines from when I did UD a few years ago were a PPro 200 and a Pentium 233 laptop - they hung in there with machines 10x as fast! Of course the slow machines don't do many WUs, but with UD's wacky points system, it doesn't matter much what you use. If you can throw a hundred PII/PIII's at UD, you can kick some butt in the points category. Here are two machines I ran that racked up almost identilcal amounts of time and points.
1. 194 days, 57,475 points, 281 results
2. 193 days, 61,431 points, 453 results
Machine 1 was a PIII800 and Machine 2 was an AXP 1.6-2.0 (might have upgraded in that timeframe).
This may not be entirely true with the new Rosetta units.
 
I've never been a fan of UD myself. If I remember right, Intel used to be their big sponser, which really turned me off. Also, the grid.org page is horribly designed and seems to be down 9 out of 10 times I try to go there. I don't have any problem with the team supporting the project, but I'd try rather keep my 46th place spot on the FAH team.

If it will actually make use of a dual ppro 200@240 w/ linux that I have, I might run a pair of clients on that. It takes so long ot fold a timeless tinker on it, I don't bother to even turn it on.
 
I'd made a comment earlier in this thread about UD and F@H getting along well. That might hold true for Tinkers, Gromacs and AMBER cores, but the GBGromacs seem to be system hogs. While the AMBER core did a 50/50 split on CPU time, the GBGromacs is doing more like 85/15 average, and occasionally grabs everything it can. Pig! :mad:

I've "-oneunit" 'ed this machine, and will get a good baseline for UD on it when the GBG clears out. Hey, I picked up the workunit, I'm bound to finish it and send it back. Something about that "clean plate" thing I got hammered with as a child... :D

 
Back
Top