Should I sell my GPU?

Should I sell my Radeon RX 5700 GPU now?

• Total voters

Quaz

n00b
It's been years since I've posted, so it's good to be back among the PCMR!

I've always been a budget minded PC gamer, last year I purchased a Radeon RX 5700 to upgrade my aging Radeon RX 470. I did this in anticipation of Half Life Alyx and boost my overall gaming performance. My RX 5700 is a powerful card but lacks ray tracing support. I feel like it will quickly be devalued once new cards hit the market and I don't really have another system to use it in once I'm done with it.

With the eve of new mid-to-high range nVidia and AMD GPUs just around the corner, I'm curious to pick up a RTX 3060 or similar range Radeon card when they get released. I've been really excited about the new RTX 30 series cards and curious about AMD's Big Navi cards, either way I want my next GPU to have good ray tracing support. The one thing I have going for me is patience, I don't play many demanding games and don't have much free time as it is, so I can always put my RX 470 back in to tide me over. I know availability of RTX 3060 and Big Navi cards will be limited around launch, but I'm willing to stick it out.

So, what do you guys think? What would you do?

Since you have a fallback GPU I would sell before the new cards come out. Then you can choose NV or AMD when the appropriate tier for you is available.

It's been years since I've posted, so it's good to be back among the PCMR!

I've always been a budget minded PC gamer, last year I purchased a Radeon RX 5700 to upgrade my aging Radeon RX 470. I did this in anticipation of Half Life Alyx and boost my overall gaming performance. My RX 5700 is a powerful card but lacks ray tracing support. I feel like it will quickly be devalued once new cards hit the market and I don't really have another system to use it in once I'm done with it.

With the eve of new mid-to-high range nVidia and AMD GPUs just around the corner, I'm curious to pick up a RTX 3060 or similar range Radeon card when they get released. I've been really excited about the new RTX 30 series cards and curious about AMD's Big Navi cards, either way I want my next GPU to have good ray tracing support. The one thing I have going for me is patience, I don't play many demanding games and don't have much free time as it is, so I can always put my RX 470 back in to tide me over. I know availability of RTX 3060 and Big Navi cards will be limited around launch, but I'm willing to stick it out.

So, what do you guys think? What would you do?
With you having patience & an RX-470 you are happy with, I'd say sell it. If you weren't patient, I'd say sell your RX470 & keep your RX 5700.

Its a bit of a crap shoot. Typically, I would wait till black friday, but supply issues makes me wonder if there will be things to buy .

If someone told me I would need to make a choice right now, I would throw my hat in on waiting.

Thank you,

I guess if you don’t intend to play games for the next few months, you might as well sell now, but I say keep it. Wait until the card you want actually exists and is actually available to buy. Then think about upgrading.

I dumped mine, I don't need to game all of the time. More than willing to wait until like March or whenever there's actual gpus to buy

The one thing I have going for me is patience, I don't play many demanding games and don't have much free time as it is, so I can always put my RX 470 back in to tide me over.

Given this, I think you’re asking the wrong question. If you don’t have a lot of time and are not playing many demanding games, then why bother upgrading at all? The 5700 is still quite a good card, particularly if you’re not playing a lot of demanding titles. I personally keep my stuff until it no longer serves my purposes. My last system lasted me 6 years, and I didn’t upgrade until I was having performance issues in my favourite titles.

Regarding RTX ray tracing, forget about it unless you’re looking to spend 3080, POSSIBLY 3070 money (still awaiting benchmarks). Do you want to spend this if you don’t game often? Also, technically you don’t need an RTX card to do ray tracing, it’s just not RTX ray tracing on a non-RTX card that you can’t run. I’ve run Crytek’s ray tracing demo on my 1070Ti. Unless you want to run RTX ray tracing titles and really want to use that feature, don’t worry about it. Besides, a lot of people with RTX cards don’t even run it because it’s a massive performance hit, so again, unless you want a higher end RTX card, I wouldn’t factor it in to consideration.

If you haven't sold it by now I'd hang onto it and hope AMD too has shortages.
That is really the only way at this point you'd get anything close to a respectable price for it.
There was a very small window of opportunity for GPU resale prior to this new generation's release.
You either had to make the decision to sell and use a backup card starting 6-8 weeks or more prior to Ampere's release.
Many did not want to curtail their gaming for lesser performance until the very last moment and they got caught out.
The RTX2080Ti crowd especially, got a rather rude awakening

I dumped mine, I don't need to game all of the time. More than willing to wait until like March or whenever there's actual gpus to buy
guess you must not be looking forward to playing cyberpunk 2077? first game i've ever pre-ordered. but just did it to help out cdpr. also got it on gog.com so they get to keep all the cash and don't have to worry about any stupid drm eating up performance. woohoo! excited just thinking about it!

guess you must not be looking forward to playing cyberpunk 2077? first game i've ever pre-ordered. but just did it to help out cdpr. also got it on gog.com so they get to keep all the cash and don't have to worry about any stupid drm eating up performance. woohoo! excited just thinking about it!
I am, when it's finally the game of the year edition. I played Witcher 3 a year after release, worth the wait IMO.

3070 review embargo lifted today.
Big Navi embargo lifts in a few hours from now.
I hope you sold it.

If the cards are hard to find, you will have a week or two before prices drop off. Once the dust settles and cards are available to anyone (nvidia and/or amd), the prices will drop a LARGE margin for the used market. I hope you sold it!

If you haven't sold it already you have missed your window. Even if the new cards come out and disappoint your card is worth more being a backup from today on. Unless there is another uprising in mining to the degree it was 3 years ago the only market left are going to be the low ballers.

Back