Should I replace my 360 with a PS3?

catalyst11

Weaksauce
With WB going exclusivly with Blu-Ray, it looks like Blu-Ray has a huge advantage on HD DVD. I recently got a new LCD TV for my living room and that's where my game console will be. Currently I own a 360 and I'm not a hardcore gamer, just sports games pretty much. I need some advice with this...should I get a PS3 to have the Blu-Ray capabilities or keep my 360? I was able to pick up the PS3 40GB for $100 off with a promo when I got the TV but haven't opened it yet. One thing I know I'm more fond of on the 360 is the controller. Any comments on the PS3 controller? Is it just because I'm used to the 360's already? One other issue is that the PS3's controllers use bluetooth. I did some research and I would be able to use my Logitech Harmony by getting a USB IR dongle so that's a way to work around that issue. Any comments?

Since you got the PS3 for about $100. I would keep my 360. If you wanted to trade in yuor 360 you would get about $100 at the most. And if you were to sell it prolly around $220. For me thats not worth it at all. I would keep both systems, and take advantage of both. But hey thats me, I am a hardcore gamer.

lol....what does HD-DVD/Blu-ray have to do with gaming? I have both..the PS3 is a Blu-ray player (11 BD movies) and my 360 is for games. I wouldn't trade one for the other though..

lol....what does HD-DVD/Blu-ray have to do with gaming? I have both..the PS3 is a Blu-ray player (11 BD movies) and my 360 is for games. I wouldn't trade one for the other though..

Agreed. No offense but this thread's a little silly. If the 360 satifies your gaming needs then you have no problem. Despite the blow of WB moving to Blu-Ray, the "war" between the two formats is far from dead, especially considering that the high-def video for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray is minuscule. Until one format takes a tangible share of the home video market this talk is a little premature. Despite all of the stats and sales charts that one might throw at you, both HD and BD currently have less than 5% of the total home video market share, so any talk about "world domination" is moot. Disclosure: I own both an HD DVD standalone player [I had the 360 HD drive at one point] and a PS3 so I collect both formats.

As for the 360: If sports is your thing then there is no real reason to move to the PS3. Nothing against the console, but your 360 will play any sports games currently out just fine. I wouldn't encourage anyone to spend extra bucks for an additional next-gen console [when you already have one] for sports games alone.

Controllers: I am a huge fan of the 360 controller. It's not as big as the clunky Xbox 1 controller, and the grip and feel is almost perfect. The Sixaxis isn't bad at all, but after enjoying my 360 for so long I think it's too small and way too light. The lack of rumble bugs me, but that will be addressed once the Dualshock 3 comes out in the spring. Again, MOST people prefer the 360 controller by far but that is ultimately a matter of opinion.

There is an adapter for the PS3 that will allow you to use your Logitech remote with the PS3. Of course, it's third party.....by Nyko I believe. Do some googling and you'll find it available at Amazon.

I'd sell the X360 before it red rings (keep the PS3), and then if you miss it enough, get a newier model :)

Keep both. The PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player and there are more good games coming out for it now. The 360 has a great library of games already.....and IMHO I agree that the 360 controller is better.

I'd sell the X360 before it red rings (keep the PS3), and then if you miss it enough, get a newier model :)

Lame. When you send it in for warranty you get a newer model, and you aren't out any additional cash.

OP - I personally wouldn't trade any one system for the other. Having both gives you the best of both worlds.

Edit: saw the controller comment above mine, +1 to that. I hate the PS controller design. always have.

Keep both. The PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player and there are more good games coming out for it now. The 360 has a great library of games already.....and IMHO I agree that the 360 controller is better.

yep, just keep both man, use the ps3 as ur media player (ps3 is still the best bang for your buck Blu-Ray player out there), and it also lets you to play ps3 exclusives.

By keeping your 360 you not only get a great gaming console but you also get to play 360 exclusives. So basically what im trying to say is that you get the best of both worlds :D

Personaly I would keep the 360. If you like the controller and have a few games why get rid of it.

If you want a blue ray player then keep the ps3 as well. Hell it is starting to get some good games that you can't get on the 360 so it will have merit as a gaming system as well.

The war is not over, stupid to buy a PS3 because you think blu-ray has won...they have not won yet.

If you want a PS3, get one, but if you like your 360, keep it.

I love my 360 and the games for it, a blu-ray player would be cool but its not worth it for me as the games are just not here on the PS3 for my tastes.

The war is not over, stupid to buy a PS3 because you think blu-ray has won...they have not won yet.

If you want a PS3, get one, but if you like your 360, keep it.

I love my 360 and the games for it, a blu-ray player would be cool but its not worth it for me as the games are just not here on the PS3 for my tastes.

I dont think anybody is really saying blu-ray has won the war, the op already owns a ps3 and a 360 :p

Assuming you've already got some games for it, I wouldn't sell off the X360. The resale value is low. Enjoy it while it lasts.

On PS3,
FIFA 08, NHL 08, MLB The Show and NBA 2k7 are good. Tiger Woods sucks. Madden is okay but runs at 30fps. EA said it will be fixed next year. :rolleyes:

Would be silly to get rid of the 360 with the games available / coming next year. Even if you hadn't got a PS3 there's bound to be a blu-ray addon coming for the 360 much like there was a HD DVD one. Remember, MS never really gave a shit about HD DVD, but it suited them to screw with Sony.

Another vote for keep both, especially since you don't know when the outcome of this format war will come to an end.

Would be silly to get rid of the 360 with the games available / coming next year. Even if you hadn't got a PS3 there's bound to be a blu-ray addon coming for the 360 much like there was a HD DVD one. Remember, MS never really gave a shit about HD DVD, but it suited them to screw with Sony.

Im almost positive that Microsoft is one of the key supporters of hd-dvd why else would they have an hd-dvd addon?

http://www.thisishddvd.com/ says in the first paragraph

Since you got the PS3 for about $100. I would keep my 360. If you wanted to trade in yuor 360 you would get about $100 at the most. And if you were to sell it prolly around $220. For me thats not worth it at all. I would keep both systems, and take advantage of both. But hey thats me, I am a hardcore gamer.

Not true, I was just at GameStop yesterday and they will pay $180 in store credit for the 360 and an additional $50 for the HD, making a Pro/Premium system worth $230 in store, or 20% less for cash in hand which is $180

I am not saying get rid of the 360
I'm just saying what GameStop will pay you

Lame. When you send it in for warranty you get a newer model, and you aren't out any additional cash.

OP - I personally wouldn't trade any one system for the other. Having both gives you the best of both worlds.

Edit: saw the controller comment above mine, +1 to that. I hate the PS controller design. always have.

"Newer model" = Referb.

I ment pick up a "new" model, not get it replaced by a referb. :p

"Newer model" = Referb.

I ment pick up a "new" model, not get it replaced by a referb. :p

A lot of 360's are replaced with newer consoles. You'd know that if you were an actual 360 owner.

Here's the deal OP - Either console is more than fine for sports games alone. I'd keep whichever console is already open and get rid of the one that's still new in the box. With that being said, I don't think it makes any sense to own BOTH a 360 and PS3 just for sports games.

Again, despite what people may say, the format war has not been won. There have been too many cases of impending death for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray, yet things continue to go on. Since nobody knows what exactly will happen here, the best thing for you to do is to DO NOTHING. I personally own both HD and BD, but not everyone is willing to make that sort of investment.

Based on your posts, your current Xbox 360 is fine for your needs. Sell the PS3 since its still closed and wait out the presence of two high-def formats which combined take up an insignificant percentage of the entire home video market.

Im almost positive that Microsoft is one of the key supporters of hd-dvd why else would they have an hd-dvd addon?

http://www.thisishddvd.com/ says in the first paragraph

Well, not really...they are a supporter of HD-DVD but they never integrated the HD-DVD drive in the 360...this means that if HD-DVD takes a dump, they can easily offer a Blu-Ray addon or just not have a bunch of consoles with a dead format integrated in them.

Frankly MS is pushing their luck much less than Sony, if Blu-Ray takes a dump, sony has that sitting over the PS3 (the fact that it has the obsolete HD movie format), but if HD-DVD takes a dump, MS just pulls the HD-DVD addon from stores and calls it a day.

The format war may not be over just yet but the writing is on the wall for HD-DVD. It's only a matter of time. The HD-DVD camp has already pulled their big press conference for CES after Waner Bros. announced that they are going Blu-Ray exclusive in May. This also includes New Line (Lord of the Rings).

I own all the next gen consoles and I think they all have merit. The old "there aren't any good games worth getting a PS3 for" arguement is not true anymore. The PS3 is picking up steam.Don't get me wrong, I love my 360, but the PS3 is also a good system with the potential to become a great console.

If you think you might want a Blu-Ray player then keep the PS3. If you don't care about Blu-Ray and you don't like ANY of the PS3 exclusives then I would think about getting rid of it. I would keep both but that's me.

A lot of 360's are replaced with newer consoles. You'd know that if you were an actual 360 owner.

Here's the deal OP - Either console is more than fine for sports games alone. I'd keep whichever console is already open and get rid of the one that's still new in the box. With that being said, I don't think it makes any sense to own BOTH a 360 and PS3 just for sports games.

Again, despite what people may say, the format war has not been won. There have been too many cases of impending death for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray, yet things continue to go on. Since nobody knows what exactly will happen here, the best thing for you to do is to DO NOTHING. I personally own both HD and BD, but not everyone is willing to make that sort of investment.

Based on your posts, your current Xbox 360 is fine for your needs. Sell the PS3 since its still closed and wait out the presence of two high-def formats which combined take up an insignificant percentage of the entire home video market.

LOL, no one has be an owner when you know people that work in call centers for them.

If a piece of hardware is fixable, it's going to get fixed. Microsoft isn't about to just throw them away. At 30% (what ever the real/current % is I don't know) that’s a lot of consoles coming back to them, sitting around, waiting to be fixed, and shipped right back out. For all you know, the X360 you think is "new" could still be a referb. Sometimes electronics bug out (lemons) right after production, get sent in, fixed, "oh lookie here, we sending you a brand new Xbox". It’s no different for any other company. I'm not picking on Microsoft, you just need to be informed.

You have a nice TV right? Get the PS3 and sell your Xbox360 before you get the RROD. Like u said, your not a hardcore gamer. Movies on Blu-ray look fantastic. Also PS3 games are on Blu-Ray disc while Xbox360 are stuck on DVD. The future is with the PS3.

I would keep the 360 for gaming and use the PS3 for a Blu-Ray player then sell it when a stand alone Blu-Ray player gets cheap enough. I have both and I just enjoy playing games on my 360 more than my PS3. I like the controller more. I've been unhappy with the motion control implimentations in PS3 games and think the controller needed a redesign as well as a replacable battery.

like i've said before sony has never won a format war. as we learn in school history repeats itself. even with sony's ceo saying they should of just went with hd dvd. were in for a long ride unless someone throws in the white towl. Sony cant afford to throw the towel in. the hd dvd camp shouldnt throw it in. but either way its going to be a long ass ride.

i say who ever lowers the price of the movies to dvd lvl will win this war real quick.

like i've said before sony has never won a format war. as we learn in school history repeats itself. even with sony's ceo saying they should of just went with hd dvd. were in for a long ride unless someone throws in the white towl. Sony cant afford to throw the towel in. the hd dvd camp shouldnt throw it in. but either way its going to be a long ass ride.

i say who ever lowers the price of the movies to dvd lvl will win this war real quick.

bolded. ;)

keep both. Both do awesome things. But the whole blu-ray vs HD-dvd has nothing to do with the console war. Although things are looking more likely blu-ray has claimed victory, that has nothing to do with xbox and ps3.

Sony has won a good amount of format wars, they have just lost a lot as well.

It is safe to say the cd was a huge success. They worked with philips on that one. They were also part of the dvd group.

Sony has won a good amount of format wars, they have just lost a lot as well.

It is safe to say the cd was a huge success. They worked with philips on that one. They were also part of the dvd group.

hmm what was really competting with cd's? cant think of any other format. ( and cassetes werent a competting format) only format i can think of is mini disc but guess who tried that yup sony.

hmm what was competting with dvds?? i think the whole industry agreed with dvd's. maybe laser disc. even though terminator 2 on laser disc kicks ass.

To OP, just keep in mind alot of users here tend to over justify their purchases by stating fiction over fact. Remember, no one was complaining for nearly a decade regarding the design of the Playstation 2 controller. The Playstation 3 DS3 is nearly identical in design with the added sixaxis and BT support. Now, one can argue the lack of rumble support although DS3 can be had for $50 or so from the import shops. As for the 360 RROD warranty, it ends this year for launch owners. Here's a simple test for reliability, keep both consoles on for a week in a media cabinet and see which one dies :D I know many here know the answer to which one is going to croak first. The one that remains standing is the one you should keep

It sounds to me like the PS3 fits your style more. The question is whether or not it's worth the extra expense. If you sold your 360 as used, you'd probably get around $200 for it, while you can get $400 for your PS3 if it's still unopened. So ask yourself if a high def player is worth $200 to you. Keep in mind that stand alone Bluray players are now at $300 and falling fairly quickly and standalone HD-DVD players are at $200. Also, remember to take into account the cost to replace any games and/or peripherals you have for the 360.

If it were me, I'd probably hang on to the 360 (which has the better controller and library IMO) and pick up a standalone Bluray player in a few months once the prices drop and the format wars have shaken out a bit more.

To OP, just keep in mind alot of users here tend to over justify their purchases by stating fiction over fact. Remember, no one was complaining for nearly a decade regarding the design of the Playstation 2 controller. The Playstation 3 DS3 is nearly identical in design with the added sixaxis and BT support. Now, one can argue the lack of rumble support although DS3 can be had for $50 or so from the import shops. As for the 360 RROD warranty, it ends this year for launch owners. Here's a simple test for reliability, keep both consoles on for a week in a media cabinet and see which one dies :D I know many here know the answer to which one is going to croak first. The one that remains standing is the one you should keep

(1) The Playstation 2 controller was lauded because it was the best thing out at the time. I personally thought the old Xbox controller was terrible. However, generations have changed and so have competing controllers. If anything, the Sixaxis took a turn for the worse - it's too small, way too light, lacks rumble, and doesn't have a replacable battery. I'm looking forward to the Dualshock 3, but nobody should be forced to buy a controller from an import shop for a feature that never should have been removed in the first place. Again, the PS2 controller was the best out at the time, but that simply is not the case anymore. MOST people prefer the new 360 controller due to the shape & grip, size, weight, and the use of rumble.

(2) The 3-year RROD warranty is based on the date of RROD, not the date of manufacture. If a launch unit screws up this December it will still be covered.

LOL, no one has be an owner when you know people that work in call centers for them.

If a piece of hardware is fixable, it's going to get fixed. Microsoft isn't about to just throw them away. At 30% (what ever the real/current % is I don't know) that’s a lot of consoles coming back to them, sitting around, waiting to be fixed, and shipped right back out. For all you know, the X360 you think is "new" could still be a referb. Sometimes electronics bug out (lemons) right after production, get sent in, fixed, "oh lookie here, we sending you a brand new Xbox". It’s no different for any other company. I'm not picking on Microsoft, you just need to be informed.

I never said that some consoles were never replaced with refurbs. Please read my post carefully. Also, you have no idea exactly what the rate of failure is or what the percentage of new-to-refurb replacements is. I'm shocked and amazed that your insider call center friends haven't given you any hard facts; instead you're left with speculation and conjecture.

Sorry guy, but you're making assumptions just like the rest of us. Perhaps you should be informed that you counter assumptions with verifiable proof.....not more guesses.

(2) The 3-year RROD warranty is based on the date of RROD, not the date of manufacture. If a launch unit screws up this December it will still be covered.

So the warranty is for 3 years from your first RROD? I could be misunderstanding you, but I am kind of clueless about the RROD stuff as I have luckily avoided it to this point. Also, I did have to send in my unit for a DVD issue. Would this mean my 3 years RROD warranty has not begun to run yet? Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post and am way off on this.

So the warranty is for 3 years from your first RROD? I could be misunderstanding you, but I am kind of clueless about the RROD stuff as I have luckily avoided it to this point. Also, I did have to send in my unit for a DVD issue, would this mean my 3 years RROD warranty has not begin to run yet? Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post and am way off on this.

The website has always been a bit ambiguous about this issue. My understanding is that it is retroactive to your first general hardware failure, but the clock does not start if you have not had one. However, I admit that I could be reading things the wrong way. You might want to give them a call to make sure.

this thread is silly. What does format Wars have to do with gaming ? Nothing. Keep your 360 if you game at all.. and keep your ps3 for blu-ray movies and possible exclusives...

And this is why the war is good. I will continue to support HD DVD regardless of how pale it may be, if only to support the war. (And yes, I can play both formats.)

Why? Because choice is good for the consumer. Yes, I realize many of you don't want to have to choose between a format, where you have a 50/50 chance of losing your investment. But I personally don't think that either format will win in the end (I see digital downloads winning the overall picture).

So how is a lose lose situation good for the consumer? Because it drives down prices. A couple years ago, when HD DVD came out, and was the only format out there, movies were $30-$50 a piece. When Blu-Ray came out, their prices were similar. And the HD-DVD players were over $1000. Same with the Blu-Ray players. Now you can buy a standalone player for either under $300. And that's only after two years. And as far as discs go, they're now in the $20ish range. And let's not even talk about all the BOGO free offers that appear almost every week. Buy an XBox HD-DVD drive, get Heroes HD DVD for free, as well as 5 free HD DVD movies, as well as a couple more from the store. What that added up to was the equivalant to getting a free player for what would have been just buying a few movies.

And the same holds true for the Blu-Ray side. Do you honestly think that Sony would be selling a PS3 for $400 with the inclusion of Spiderman 3 if not for HD DVD? The last time I saw any inclusions of non demo software, it was back during the Super Nintendo. Or would their PS3 have even debuted at $500, which was $500 cheaper than the cheapest standalone player? Yes, you lost PS2 compatibility to drive down price, but that was like what, a $10 chip?

Sony needed the PS3 to be a solid Blu-Ray player. And as such, the laser needed to be fairly similar to the standalone players, and offer all the features of a standalone player. My Blu-Ray drive on my PC can't read CD's! (And that's not a bug. The drive is incompatible with reading CDs). And the PS2 was horrible at reading DVDs. It was horrible not only in rendering quality, lacked much of the standalones ability in features such as sound, etc, but also had a horribly weak laser, which meant if you used it to watch lots of DVDs, most likely your PS2 would die really quickly. And Sony is still bleeding money from the PS3, but they have stated that they plan on making a profit by the end of the year with the PS3. And how exactly do you go about doing that? You obviously can't raise prices on the hardware. You've already stripped out backwards compatibility. So what do you have left? How do you develope less expensive harder? You use cheaper chips, lasers, etc. And when I'm saying cheap, I'm talking about overall quality, not cost.

And in terms of movies, consider this your last opportunity for the BOGO free offers. Why bother having continuous BOGO free when you have no compeition? And no, they don't have to worry about people going back to DVDs. A) If Blu-Ray sales fell, they just produce less discs. B) Many people, now having Blu-Ray, will probably think that now that they have the technology, they'll buy BD instead of the DVDs because of quality. When HD DVD dies, you can expect the movies to go up at least 50% in price.

That won't happen? Why not? Because of this pointless war, this new generation of high def players came to the same saturation point in under 2 years of what took DVDs over half a decade (which had no direct competition) to reach. The only entities hurting from this war are the drive manufacturer's and the movies disc manufacturers. But they'll make up for it when the war is over, while, the consumer, who's winning now, will in the end lose.

As for the original post, buy whatever system you will use to play games on.

Well, not really...they are a supporter of HD-DVD but they never integrated the HD-DVD drive in the 360...this means that if HD-DVD takes a dump, they can easily offer a Blu-Ray addon or just not have a bunch of consoles with a dead format integrated in them.

Frankly MS is pushing their luck much less than Sony, if Blu-Ray takes a dump, sony has that sitting over the PS3 (the fact that it has the obsolete HD movie format), but if HD-DVD takes a dump, MS just pulls the HD-DVD addon from stores and calls it a day.

Hmm, I was always under the assumption that Microsoft was a key factor behind HD-DVD, oh well its not like it matters much anymore, considering all the good news that Blu-Ray has been getting as of late

and it might be looking like sony made the right choice when they put the Blu-Ray player in the ps3 lol

and it might be looking like sony made the right choice when they put the Blu-Ray player in the ps3 lol

It definitely worked out well for Sony, however it caused a slow adoption rate of PS3s, and if HDDVD won, the price of a PS3 would be much harder to justify. Sony played with fire and it looks like they won this time.

Back