Should I replace my 360 with a PS3?

no because you wont be able to immediately play mass effect 2 or 3 when they come out.

man i like mass effect. it's the only game that i felt was actually worth $60.

but in the end, do what you want, screw what the rest of us may think. if you feel like it's time for a change, do it; if not, dont do it.

With WB going exclusivly with Blu-Ray, it looks like Blu-Ray has a huge advantage on HD DVD. I recently got a new LCD TV for my living room and that's where my game console will be. Currently I own a 360 and I'm not a hardcore gamer, just sports games pretty much. I need some advice with this...should I get a PS3 to have the Blu-Ray capabilities or keep my 360? I was able to pick up the PS3 40GB for $100 off with a promo when I got the TV but haven't opened it yet. One thing I know I'm more fond of on the 360 is the controller. Any comments on the PS3 controller? Is it just because I'm used to the 360's already? One other issue is that the PS3's controllers use bluetooth. I did some research and I would be able to use my Logitech Harmony by getting a USB IR dongle so that's a way to work around that issue. Any comments?

Just stick with a Ps3 then. Most sports games are multi-platform and you seem to just want it for Blu Ray, so go with just a Ps3. The format war is far from over, but with the Ps3's ability to upconvert regular DVDs i'd say just own that if that's all you really want/need.

I never said that some consoles were never replaced with refurbs. Please read my post carefully. Also, you have no idea exactly what the rate of failure is or what the percentage of new-to-refurb replacements is. I'm shocked and amazed that your insider call center friends haven't given you any hard facts; instead you're left with speculation and conjecture.

Sorry guy, but you're making assumptions just like the rest of us. Perhaps you should be informed that you counter assumptions with verifiable proof.....not more guesses.

I don't know what the Real/Current (because information that comes to us, M$/sources provide info from periods/months/quaters, not to the exact second) This isn't a topic I bring up every time I see my friend, otherwise, I don't think we would be friends if thats all I tried to talk to him about.

I used to work Customer Service, and he currently works for Customer Service, and for the most part, theres a lot of similarities. Companys in general tell their reps what they "need" to know, but not everything. Other information is leeked from person to person withen the company... But when it comes down to replacements and exchanges, most of your corp. owned companys, work the same way. They are not going to take "product" that "can be fixed" and toss them away. I *do know* at one *point in time* failure rates was at 30%, which means thats a lot of inventory coming back to them. If most is fixiable, thats a lot of referb units ready to be shipped back out.

If and when you do end up getting a "new unit" back from M$, MOST of the time, you have gone through hoops, frustration, lack of a working unit for weeks, to finally get a "working" unit that you should of gotten from the start.

SO, my origonal post in this thread, was to toss/sell the X360 (mostly try to sell it), because in my eyes A) its going to probably be worth more right *now*, than later (so that means I would be trying to get most of my money back asap) B) If its currently working, its a lot easier to sell to someone C) sell it before it has a chance to Red Ring

If you do end up selling it, but later on down the road miss it, then pick up a new one. Microsoft is about the same as Sony when it comes to new models/skus/revisions... By time IF you end up craving another one, you might be able to pick up one that has smaller die size (less juice to run it = electric money saved) , or one with HD-DVD built into it (Or BR... who knows :p )

Or keep it, I really don't care.

Get the ps3, in the future when gears of wars 2 comes you could always rebuy it :D

Thanks for all the response. To clear a few things, I knew I would be able to get about $300 for my system (not including games), whether to return it back to where I got it from or sell it. So for me to replace my 360 with a PS3 wouldn't cost me much if anything at all. Also I mentioned in the OP that I only do sports games, no FPS really. The fact that I would be able to pretty much trade my 360 for a PS3 for no cost and had the Blu-Ray capabilities, I decided to keep the PS3 and sell the 360. My wife loves watching movies so having Blu-Ray was the deciding factor. Currently I have both hooked up but will be selling the 360 next week. I was able to get sweet deals last week for a few Blu-Ray movies as well @ Toys R Us with their BOGO deal combined with Disney coupons. My Nyko Blu Wave remote is on its way so I'll have it programmed with my Harmony remote soon.

Microsoft has stated recently that they will release a Blu Ray addon driver if there is a demand for one. So basically, not untill Blu Ray officialy wins the format war, which is any day now. There are only two major studios that are still supporting HDDVD. The rest are Blu Ray exclusive.

As far as games, Xbox wins right now. Thats my opinion.

Microsoft has stated recently that they will release a Blu Ray addon driver if there is a demand for one. So basically, not untill Blu Ray officialy wins the format war, which is any day now. There are only two major studios that are still supporting HDDVD. The rest are Blu Ray exclusive.

As far as games, Xbox wins right now. Thats my opinion.

I set up my ps3 for the first time last night. Watched 2 episodes of Sopranos Season 6, and then tried out Folklore. The graphics were amazing in the beginning. Then I realized it was just pre-rendered video. Why can't video clips for 360 games look that good?!

After the video footage, the actual gameplay was a lot closer to the 360 graphics wise... though it did look slightly crisper than the average game on the 360. This is probably due to the 1080p resolution.

OP: Definitely do not replace your 360 with the ps3. Having both systems will open up your options to the games you want to play and the movies you want to watch.

Youll probably need a fluxcapacitor to be able to run it smoothly knowing Epic and their game engines. :D

...or in the case of Gears, it'll come out a year later and simultaneously with 4 other major games, killing any potential of a GoW community for the PC.

Anyway, to stay on track with the thread, the PS3's easily the better of the two systems for movies if maximum quality is what matters to you. The 360's normal DVD functionality isn't great and the HD add-on lacks support for the HD audio formats.
If you think the 360 will ever get a Blu Ray add-on, I've got the most powerful 64-bit system ever designed (the Atari Jaguar) that I'd like to sell you.
MS's ace in the whole for movies is their download service. For 99% of 360 owners, it's more than enough. It delivers 720p visuals (that can be upscaled) and Dolby 5.1 sound. That's more than enough for almost everyone and MS knows it. If HD-DVD really tanks, that's MS's answer, not another add-on. If supreme quality isn't that big of a deal to you - the download service is dandy. It's better than normal DVD's, there are no add-ons required, and no physical media needed either. Even if you ARE set-up with a 1080p television and a 7.1 PCM receiver...the DL service is still nice.
Anyway, get the PS3 if you are prepared to truly take advantage of HD audio and 1080p visuals. If not, I doubt you'll notice much difference between Blu-Ray and the MS online movies.

...or in the case of Gears, it'll come out a year later and simultaneously with 4 other major games, killing any potential of a GoW community for the PC.

Anyway, to stay on track with the thread, the PS3's easily the better of the two systems for movies if maximum quality is what matters to you. The 360's normal DVD functionality isn't great and the HD add-on lacks support for the HD audio formats.
If you think the 360 will ever get a Blu Ray add-on, I've got the most powerful 64-bit system ever designed (the Atari Jaguar) that I'd like to sell you.
MS's ace in the whole for movies is their download service. For 99% of 360 owners, it's more than enough. It delivers 720p visuals (that can be upscaled) and Dolby 5.1 sound. That's more than enough for almost everyone and MS knows it. If HD-DVD really tanks, that's MS's answer, not another add-on. If supreme quality isn't that big of a deal to you - the download service is dandy. It's better than normal DVD's, there are no add-ons required, and no physical media needed either. Even if you ARE set-up with a 1080p television and a 7.1 PCM receiver...the DL service is still nice.
Anyway, get the PS3 if you are prepared to truly take advantage of HD audio and 1080p visuals. If not, I doubt you'll notice much difference between Blu-Ray and the MS online movies.
Apart from he fact almost everyone in the UK is gonna use up all their fair use policy downloading 720p movies etc. It would be great if we could all have 24meg download speeds aswell so we can watch a movie when we want to, not a few days after! Ive not downloaded a 720p movie with 5.1sound before, how big would a movie be? Right now with my broadband which is probably the ame as 50% of the UK i can download about 1.5gig a day (3 gig/month fair use policy), if th 720p films are about that then im happy.

Well, I found a buyer for my system and at the price I want to sell it for. He's supposedly going to buy it next weekend. Games like Gears and Halo don't really apply to me when giving a reason to keep the 360 because I just don't play FPS games. I don't play enough games and I don't make enough money to own both and the money could be used towards other things. Thank you for the suggestions though.

Back