Should I RAID 0 M4 128GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you're like the laziest member on [H], aren't you?

If you call this doing your research I believe that award belongs to you.

Just buy the biggest drive you can afford to eliminate your research about setting up a RAID0 array. LOL!

Why do I keep having to explain this?

If a question has been asked a million times, then you should be able to answer it in one sentence and write /thread at the end.

If, instead, all you're doing is telling someone to go do the research themselves, then obviously you don't have a succinct answer and the question must be asked again until you do.

This is how help forums work.

If a question has been asked a million times, then you should be able to answer it in one sentence and write /thread at the end.
And I know you've read these forums long enough to answer the same questions yourself.

People get tired of giving the same answers to the same questions especially to someone who should know how to search.

Help forums are made to answer questions after you've searched for yourself.

To expect others to do your homework is bullcrap and I can't believe others have actually answered you.

Buy the biggest drive you can. :)

And I know you've read these forums long enough to answer the same questions yourself.

People get tired of giving the same answers to the same questions especially to someone who should know how to search.

Help forums are made to answer questions after you've searched for yourself.

To expect others to do your homework is bullcrap and I can't believe others have actually answered you.

Buy the biggest drive you can. :)

So, people are too tired to give me a short, succinct answer, but are ready, able and willing to write 5-10 meaningless replies telling me to go search for it myself.

That's just ridiculous.

And I'm really not trying to be offensive here, but you've just kind of made the same mistake.

Everyone on this thread who's been helpful has been saying that R0 with SSD's works just fine.

But then you come on in and tell me to get the biggest drive.. seriously?

Again, not trying to get flamed here, but.. maybe if you paid attention to what's being said in these threads instead of counting them off as they happen, as in actually reading them.. you would have that succinct answer I'm looking for.

Because if we let lazy assholes come in here and ask easily searchable questions and hand out answers instead of telling them to stop being lazy assholes and use the search function, then eventually the search function stops being used and the people who care to answer questions are relegated to answering the same easily searchable questions over and over and over again. If instead we are unhelpful to the lazy assholes who confuse asking others to do research for them with doing research themselves, other lazy assholes see those threads and actually do their own real research because they don't want it to happen to them.

By doing more work in this thread we save work overall.

To answer the op,

In my opinion, If you can sell the M4 for a decent price your better off just getting a larger SSD. The only advantage I really see to striping SSD's is to work with very big files (CAD, video, 3D modeling, etc...) or to stream multiple HD video sources. Doesn't sound like you need to do any of that and I don't really see any practical advantage to doing it otherwise.

Or just do it for the fun of it, which I admit, it would be fun to play with.

Why do I keep having to explain this?
Because nobody agrees with you.

Is not possible that there are other explanations? What if the best advice depends on the application, for example? What if a good answer isn't succinct?

This is how help forums work.
Only when the questioner poses an answerable question.

Because nobody agrees with you.

That shouldn't be a reason for me to keep repeating myself.

Is not possible that there are other explanations? What if the best advice depends on the application, for example? What if a good answer isn't succinct?

Lol. You just gave a succinct answer!

To expand, I would say you should give examples of what is best for each application.

And wallah, you've got a succinct answer.

Only when the questioner poses an answerable question.

/facepalm

Lol. You just gave a succinct answer!
No, I didn't.

/facepalm
It's almost as if you haven't read the posts in your own thread. Or, maybe you didn't understand them. Or, maybe you're too lazy to think it through for yourself. Seems like you should just quit "researching" and skip ahead to go and do whatever it is you wanted to do, anyway.

No, I didn't.

Yes, you did. Let me spell it out for you.

"The best advice depends on the application. If you need tons of bandwidth, go R0. If you need better access times, stick with the largest single SSD you can afford."

If that isn't perfect, we can fine-tune it - which is my entire point.

Might be a case of ymmv. I run raid0 SSD but use prefetching which a lot of users disable. This means the executables I run are read at sequential speeds rather than semi random 4k speeds which is magnitudes slower but Windows prefetch isn't perfect, it would be nice to have a straight forward option to load the whole executable in one. The 4k page faulting is a good method when memory is premium but now days that may not be a problem for many.

Just my 2 cents.

Might be a case of ymmv.
Of course it is! That's why the question the OP asked is unanswerable. The best answer for him depends on lots of variables that he can't be bothered to specify, despite being queried about them multiple times.

Might be a case of ymmv. I run raid0 SSD but use prefetching which a lot of users disable. This means the executables I run are read at sequential speeds rather than semi random 4k speeds which is magnitudes slower but Windows prefetch isn't perfect, it would be nice to have a straight forward option to load the whole executable in one. The 4k page faulting is a good method when memory is premium but now days that may not be a problem for many.

Just my 2 cents.

If prefetching is so great, why doesn't everyone use, even with a single SSD?

Of course it is! That's why the question the OP asked is unanswerable. The best answer for him depends on lots of variables that he can't be bothered to specify, despite being queried about them multiple times.

WHAT?!

Are you delusional?

Okay, I double-dare you to show me where I was "queried".

The ONLY person asking questions in this thread was me.

There was not a single person asking me practically anything.

Whenever I did ask something, I was told to go search for it myself!

You're either an idiot, or a damn good troll.

If you've got an older Intel chipset like the Z68 that doesn't support TRIM in RAID, you can add a modified Intel RAID OROM to your BIOS that enables TRIM in RAID just like on the Z77 boards. I did it with my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 and couldn't be happier.

thanks blue flacon, you inspired me to add the modified orom to my z68xp-ud5 bios.

after a couple of posts to trouble shoot. success!!!

sweet....

Here's the post where I asked. There are other questions about your requirements and goals in this thread.

You ask me a thousand questions that have almost no relevance to my own question, and then when I don't respond, you troll me with these responses:

Probably not.

You don't have to guess.

Several others have been enumerated in this thread.

It's like, for the first half of this thread, you're trolling me, and in the second half, you're acting like I'm the one who's guilty.. making me feel particularly pissed off.

Since the question has been answered, I am just going to assume you're a troll and walk away. Considering you're twice my age, the alternative would be quite frightening.

You ask me a thousand questions that have almost no relevance to my own question, and then when I don't respond, you troll me with these responses:
I'm glad you do acknowledge that you were asked, though I'm sorry you don't understand the reason that questions about your intended use of a storage system are relevant to your question about designing that same storage system. Most of all, though, I'm sorry you can't discern trolling from socratic, critical questioning. The ability to reason independently about decisions is a key factor to success.

Should you spend money on adding complexity to your system and risk to the durability of your data in order to implement a solution which forces tradeoffs and operational characteristics that you don't understand for a use case you can't articulate?

Probably not.

Thanks -- interesting choice to have written it in D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back