• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I pull the trigger on this upgrade?

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Dec 16, 2006
Messages
6,069
Newegg has a couple combo deals that I'm eager to take up (2x Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB and LanCool K58W/Seasonic 650w) that end today. I want to know if this is a real deal here that I shouldn't let go by or not. This is what I currently have:

Q9550 @ Stock
4GB DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte mATX
GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair 520HX
Silverstone Sugo 02

And I would upgrade to this:

Q9550 (OC'd)
Corsair H50
MSI P45 Platinum Mobo
4GB DDR2 Ram
2x Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SLI
Seasonic 650w Power Supply
Lian Li Lancool K58W

for a total cost (after selling the replaced parts) of about $500.

Is this something I should jump on? Would it be a fairly large performance increase at 1920x1080 (I plan on buying another monitor as well)?

exlink
 
what kind of performance increase? the only difference will be framerate in games. the proc is still old. I mean really your looking at an almost identical system with a video card upgrade worth around $300.
 
Yeah, I also realized that the motherboard is for crossfire only so SLI wouldn't work on it. Meaning I would have to buy a different motherboard that would jack up the price as well. Thank you for the input!
 
Yeah considering that the only really good quality socket 775 SLI motherboard was the now out of stock and expensive eVGA 750i FTW motherboard, yeah not really feasible or cost effective.

So yeah don't jump on that upgrade. Just upgrade your GPU to a 6870 or a 5870 and you should be ok for while. Maybe a case upgrade as well. An OC'd Q9550 is still plenty fast for most games. At the very least, I wouldn't do a CPU + mobo + RAM upgrade with your PC till around mid 2011.
 
Yeah considering that the only really good quality socket 775 SLI motherboard was the now out of stock and expensive eVGA 750i FTW motherboard, yeah not really feasible or cost effective.

So yeah don't jump on that upgrade. Just upgrade your GPU to a 6870 or a 5870 and you should be ok for while. Maybe a case upgrade as well. An OC'd Q9550 is still plenty fast for most games. At the very least, I wouldn't do a CPU + mobo + RAM upgrade with your PC till around mid 2011.

I wanted to do a CPU + Mobo + Ram upgrade but I heard that both socket AM3 and LGA 1156/1366 will be replaced by next year. Thats why I didn't want to upgrade to any of the new CPU's and was only going to put in about $50 for a used Crossfire mobo and maybe 6850's in crossfire (with case and psu upgrade). That way I could transfer all that stuff over when I upgraded core (CPU/Mobo/Ram).

I mean, I think an overclocked Q9550 would be able to give me good performance with 6850's in CF at 1920x1080...I was actually thinking of upgrading to an eyefinity 5040x1050 resolution.
 
Back
Top